TA's "What's On Your Mind Right Now?" Thread, Part 4

Natasha1

29 minutes ago, Bulgakov said:

Tampa Bay over Chiefs:  27---24

Yeah most of the sports talking heads are giving either team 3 points in the spread. I'm not sure if it will be that tight or not. Hoping it is not a complete blowout. The final game of any sport should be an - on the edge of your seat - thing. Suspense until the end. In this case it seems to come back to whch QB has the ball in the last 2 minutes and clock management. After listening to all these numbers makers I have to say Cynthia Freelund is very impressive and not hard on the eyes...

My cat keeps eating everything and I guess I will just have to keep toys put away or throw out the dangerous ones. Then I started thinking about the cat at my relatives house that had worms so bad that it's butt looked like it had silly string coming out. She sad she took it to doctor and they said no worms. Her husband even said I was wrong and he's highly intelligent. Lol.  Also the husky down the road is still 6 ft from the tree with no love and sleeping on concrete. Be glad when this is over. La da da da

Death, suicide, how hopeless my life is. How fragmentary, pointless and empty life is in general. 

You know the trope: “this too shall pass”. It doesn’t though does it. Best case scenario is, all you “learn” to do is cope and settle with whatever crap life throws at you. 

If that is all life boils down to then fcuk it. Not interested anymore. I have spent my whole stupid life doing just that. Settling with crap. Never having a fcking clue what to do with myself. Nothing feels right for me. 

The only true question that needs answering is what kind of life is worth living.   Everything else is just annotation.

Edited by samadhiSheol

I've seen this in a few posts lately.  I'm not the hall monitor for the world, still . . .

PSA:

Since even before this time of wakeness and fear, the word "retard", when used in a pejorative, or deprecating manner has been discouraged.   They are a group of diverse people who share similar challenges in cognitive abilities.   

To say "I'm such a retard," or to make references to the funny antics of the retarded shows a lack of awareness of some sort.  Just keep those jokes for friends.

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov

5 minutes ago, Nightjar said:

Coke. I've drunk waaay too much today. Give nightjar stress and she will go get COKE :mad1:

I like coke.  My reward for doing my taxes is the pound of maple twists from the store that I'm going to eat the second I'm done typing this.

15 minutes ago, watalife said:

Would you let your cat go live outside if you really thought he was miserable indoors???

I would 1.Think about building an outdoor enclosure he could access or 2.Cat proof my garden with special fencing you can buy or 3. I would supervise and watch him like a hawk 🤔Also you could play with him in the garden to keep him close and safe and mainly interested in you. 

Edited by Nightjar

That's some good ideas. If I knew he would not run to far a come right back it would be alright but he would get a bath every! time he came back because it's dirty out there. I'd rather have a cat that was happy just being indoors with me 😭

31 minutes ago, watalife said:

That's some good ideas. If I knew he would not run to far a come right back it would be alright but he would get a bath every! time he came back because it's dirty out there. I'd rather have a cat that was happy just being indoors with me 😭

He'll clean himself don't worry about that. It's rare that a cat doesn't come home where he is fed and loved but they can easily get into trouble which is why I suggest high supervision and possibly restricted access to outdoors 👍

Some cats are happier living outside for some reason.  My aunt is 70 or somewhere close to that and she's always lived in rural areas and if asked she would say she's had cats her whole life.  She's never had one that lived inside.  All of her cats have always been happy just hanging out on the porch and knowing they had food on the porch every morning if they needed it.

On 2/13/2021 at 10:10 AM, watalife said:

Would you let your cat go live outside if you really thought he was miserable indoors???

It depends completely on the situation.  Also, if they go outside, they are exposed to more dangers (fleas, ticks, etc...).  Ask your vet about any extra care or medicine they may need.  

My cousin put harness-style collars on her cats.  Then she let them outside for a certain amount of time each day attached to a long lead or rope tied to a solid object.  It worked for her.  Mine stay indoors all the time.  

Extrinsic and intrinsic motivation, according to Richard Ryan. Extrinsic motivation works pretty much like this:

We have never disputed the power of rewards and punishments to control the behavior of organisms. Provided one condition: you’ve got them in a cage”.

Food for thought, methinks.

8 hours ago, samadhiSheol said:

Food for thought, methinks.

Me agrees.  😆

Reminds me of the joke about the difference between incentive and motivation.  'Incentive' is when the boss says, "Do a good job and you will get a bonus/raise."  'Motivation' is when the boss says, "Do a bad job and you will be fired."

On 2/13/2021 at 9:28 AM, watalife said:

time he came back because it's dirty out there

If he's the maturing feisty male you've talked about, then be ready for more than dirt.  Young males like to screech at each other in the night, then they fight, and you are looking at tending puncture wounds--gotta keep removing the scab--and other injuries.

Bulgakov

5 hours ago, jkd_sd said:

Me agrees.  😆

Reminds me of the joke about the difference between incentive and motivation.  'Incentive' is when the boss says, "Do a good job and you will get a bonus/raise."  'Motivation' is when the boss says, "Do a bad job and you will be fired."

Another example of extrinsic motivation. The stick/carrot variety. Another form of extrinsic motivation is conformity and the want to belong. To an extent, we are wired this way and it isn't all bad. But it would seem we get caught up in the "responsible citizen" routine and think our own personal growth and self-realization is secondary or unimportant.

According to Ryan et al, it's not the kind  motivation to get the best out of ourselves. In a sense, we are all in a cage, at least a part of it is self inflicted.

Intrinsic motivation is all about using what we are good at, connecting with our "true tribe" and making the world a better place by enjoying what we do and in the process, giving back to any given (healthy) society.

Sadly this doesn't happen very often. Most of the jobs are either a bad fit for anyone or people are tragically in the wrong place doing the wrong work, according to their respective interests or abilities. Intolerant, authoritive regimes, religions and ideologies don't help either.

Edited by samadhiSheol

1 hour ago, Nightjar said:

Oh no, that's really sad news. Sorry to hear that sober. 

Maybe this is hell and nothing around us is really real.  Maybe all of life or whatever this is is an endless attempt by something out there to find the things in life that make us happy just so they can be taken from us.