TA's "What's On Your Mind Right Now?" Thread, Part 4

Natasha1

2 hours ago, sober4life said:

Nothing works to cope with the isolation anymore. 

This seems to be how most people feel -- which I do understand given the circumstances.  But for me, the isolation has been strangely comforting.  The big bad world is 'out there', and I am 'in here'.  

Yes, I would definitely rather be able to spend time with certain people of my choosing, but it is not as bad as I would have expected.  Television and the internet keep up the illusion of human interaction, and my two cats provide physical contact and companionship up to a point.  A big problem for me is the lack of encouragement to get 'out' into the real world and function.  The pandemic has provided a way-too-easy excuse for me to hide from the world, which is exactly what my depression wants.  It has been very difficult to fight this depressive episode, but I keep trying.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:43 AM, sober4life said:

Also they're trying to get rid of the cashiers.

The biggest store in my town of 3,000 or so is a Dollar Store.  We have two, one at either end of a roughly two-miles stretch that veers off, then back on the interstate, becoming our main street.  They're different brands, but both are small, even for Dollars.

One just put in a self checkout, like the big stores.  It had two cash registers, but removed one to put in the self check out.  It looks nuts.  In this case, it's a supposed cost cutter.  One guy often mans the store now.  I use the new auto mate.  It's supposed to provide the one guy with help if a line forms.  But he just plays like it's a person, and I watched him wheel a cart to the back and disappear as I used the self checkout.  What if I just barely miss a barcode swipe?🤠   I'm glad the guy has trust in the honor system, but I don't think that's why they were designed.  Why not just put in two machines, no people, and rename the store "Looters".    

103@12am, Bulga     

Edited by Bulgakov
editing never ends

2 hours ago, jkd_sd said:

This seems to be how most people feel -- which I do understand given the circumstances.  But for me, the isolation has been strangely comforting.  The big bad world is 'out there', and I am 'in here'.  

Yes, I would definitely rather be able to spend time with certain people of my choosing, but it is not as bad as I would have expected.  Television and the internet keep up the illusion of human interaction, and my two cats provide physical contact and companionship up to a point.  A big problem for me is the lack of encouragement to get 'out' into the real world and function.  The pandemic has provided a way-too-easy excuse for me to hide from the world, which is exactly what my depression wants.  It has been very difficult to fight this depressive episode, but I keep trying.

Well I'm afraid of everyone I know so I just sit here and worry that some of them might show up.  In real life there is nobody I would choose to see.  I make sure I go see them and call them on the phone hoping that's enough to keep them from showing up here.  I can't just hide away really.  I have to get myself well enough from time to time to go put on a performance for them that's good enough to keep them from coming here and then run back here and hide.

1 hour ago, Bulgakov said:

One just put in a self checkout, like the big stores.  It had two cash registers, but removed one to put in the self check out.  It looks nuts.  In this case, it's a supposed cost cutter.

When the big stores put in the self checkouts, I was kinda miffed.  There is no one available to help customers or answer questions.  Now they cannot be bothered to show up in person even to take our money!  For that and other reasons, I decided to never use the self checkouts.  If they want my money, they have to deal with me face-to-face to get it.   😛

@sober4life, the list of people I would choose to spend time with is short.  That is probably why isolation does not bother me that much.

I understand about putting on a performance.  I do that, too.  'See, look, I can function. Can I leave now?'  I cannot actually isolate, but I have been staying in whenever I can, which has been quite a bit.

It's been 70 days since I stopped watching/reading the news (except for very specific local issues and unavoidable headlines), and I gotta say life is pretty good for me right now.  It's amazing what a break (from anything, really) will do.

Also thinking about Shark Week!  Only a few weeks away 🙂     

14 hours ago, Bulgakov said:

The biggest store in my town of 3,000 or so is a Dollar Store.  We have two, one at either end of a roughly two-miles stretch that veers off, then back on the interstate, becoming our main street.  They're different brands, but both are small, even for Dollars.

One just put in a self checkout, like the big stores.  It had two cash registers, but removed one to put in the self check out.  It looks nuts.  In this case, it's a supposed cost cutter.  One guy often mans the store now.  I use the new auto mate.  It's supposed to provide the one guy with help if a line forms.  But he just plays like it's a person, and I watched him wheel a cart to the back and disappear as I used the self checkout.  What if I just barely miss a barcode swipe?🤠   I'm glad the guy has trust in the honor system, but I don't think that's why they were designed.  Why not just put in two machines, no people, and rename the store "Looters".    

103@12am, Bulga     

Always wanted to go to Quartzsite

20 hours ago, AloneGuy said:

It's been 70 days since I stopped watching/reading the news (except for very specific local issues and unavoidable headlines), and I gotta say life is pretty good for me right now.  It's amazing what a break (from anything, really) will do.

Also thinking about Shark Week!  Only a few weeks away 🙂     

The hardest thing on me by far during this time has been the news.  I've never needed to hear anything they've said so far.  All they do is keep people in a constant panic.

Edited by sober4life

10 hours ago, sober4life said:

I was sent a mail in ballot today without ever asking for one.  There were boxes to check for people and a signature to sign.  Yes I am Ronald McDonald.🙄This is a mail in ballot?

Having mail in ballots just encourages voting fraud, we had seriously problems in the last election here with lax checks on postal votes.

Edited by hocico

I wish there were some more choices for responses to posts on this site.  I like the ones that are there, but they do not apply in all cases.  This is not a world-altering problem.  I just do not want to offend anyone by choosing 'Like' for a post about a negative issue.  

Just now, jkd_sd said:

I just do not want to offend anyone by choosing 'Like' for a post about a negative issue.  

I think about this one also, or the "laugh" response same way.  "Check here if you don't at all like the misery described, but appreciate the determination and honesty in the post."  etc

Bulgakov

I've always seen the like response as just me supporting someone.  I don't necessarily like it.  I just want the person to know they're not alone with their feelings and I want them to know someone out there cares.  I myself will never feel offended by reactions no matter what they are.  I want people to laugh.  I try to make people laugh to lighten the mood sometimes.

A "like" or a "laugh" icon on a website is still more human contact than I have in the real world anyway, so it doesn't bother me what responses people give me. I just like feeling, occasionally, like I'm not a ghost spiraling endlessly into an eternal void. I don't usually mind being alone, and I don't terribly mind being sorrowful, but I hate being this alone with this level of sorrow.

🤔 Sometimes you have to sit on the bed the cat just puked on and have yourself a cuppa tea 🤷‍♀️

😂😂😂

The pukey curtain, wall and bed sheets can wait while the DF member has a little bit of R&R no? 

Reminds me of my favourite line in Avatar when the sergeant is prepping the new blood and informing them of the incalculable horrors on Pandora... 

"Have you ever been to hell?.... Well, you might wanna go there for some R&R" 😂

🤔🍵😂🙀🤮🥴

Edited by Nightjar

On 7/24/2020 at 4:14 PM, jkd_sd said:

I just do not want to offend anyone by choosing 'Like' for a post about a negative issue.  

On 7/24/2020 at 6:44 PM, sober4life said:

I've always seen the like response as just me supporting someone.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:04 PM, Tymothi said:

I just like feeling, occasionally, like I'm not a ghost spiraling endlessly into an eternal void.

Good answers.  

Bulgakov