TA's "What's On Your Mind Right Now?" Thread, Part 4

Natasha1

On 6/2/2020 at 7:51 AM, Nightjar said:

Where is @evalynn? Hope everything is OK over there lovely girl :hugs:

I've also been wondering where is @evalynn and what is she doing and when will she be back. I would like to think she is rescuing puppies from burning buildings then handing them to orphans all while home schooling kids over Zoom. I hope she is okay. 

On 6/3/2020 at 6:56 PM, sober4life said:

The chat area used to be pretty active.  Every time I go in there it's empty now.  Probably the best way to make it active again is to schedule a time for everyone to meet there.

We need a champion to make it happen. Who's willing to step up?

My therapist suggests I journal using pen and book rather than typing on the computer. Something about writing with a pen, how it involves hand movement as opposed to fingers (maybe more body involved?) also the creativity of one's own penmanship. 

I dunno. I'll get a nice notebook, a good pen and give that a try. 

5 hours ago, Atra said:

My therapist suggests I journal using pen and book rather than typing on the computer....

Yes!

I jot notes for short lists on an app on my phone for running errands. I make lots of Word/Excel docs for stuff I do.

But for mental health and helping to see I am doing some useful things I journal in a notebook with a pencil. Very old school and seems more effective than doing it on my computer. I keep the notebook on the table downstairs instead of the computer room. So I see it all the time and keep doing updates. Found a good website on journaling a while ago and use their format.

I don't believe in a core "me",, something that exists without any given thought, feeling, impression, sentiment, whatever.

We are precisely the sum of our thoughts, feelings impressions etc. at any given moment, methinks.

The "me" that remembers what I thought when I was nine; the "me" that remembers at 50+ what I remembered when I was four when I was nine..

How do we know our memories are truly ours? Am I the same "ding an sich" as was 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago?

Don't think so.

Do androids dream of electric sheep? Haha.

What's on my mind is how celebrity actors can make millions of dollars "lending" their voices to an animated movie while the professional voice actors have to beg just for new movie deals. How does that work? And why do they all live in Vancouver?

Another thing on my mind is that I'd sure like to visit Vancouver. 😄

6 hours ago, Tymothi said:

And why do they all live in Vancouver?

Another thing on my mind is that I'd sure like to visit Vancouver. 😄

In the last 8 or 10 years, much of the movie production biz up and moved from Dallas, TX and Hollywood, CA to Vancouver, BC. It was due to a number of reasons, here are some highlights.

Paying American contractors and employees who relocated to Canada (many of them animators and artists doing CGI and movie effects) in Canadian dollars is way cheaper. Health benefits and retirement programs, also far cheaper. The city of Vancouver offered a friendlier tax environment and they accommodated the movie industry's demands for filming on the streets better than American cities. 

A couple of years ago I visited an American friend who works in animation. I found Vancouver to be a gorgeous city with good housing, fabulous restaurants and a robust nightlife. One notable thing it lacked in 2018: gig economy workers. The city blocked ride share corporations until they came up with a comprehensive employee benefits program. Lots of taxis but I observed, ain't no Uber in Vancouver. 😆

13 hours ago, samadhiSheol said:

How do we know our memories are truly ours?

My understanding is that memories are mutable because we reconstruct them whenever we recollect them. During reconstructions, we subconsciously alter aspects of them and then "save" the "edited version". I place less trust in my older memories being truly reliable accounts.

I don't know if all long term memory works the same way but it seems to me, we alter parts of the past as we grow to fit our identity. This explains in part why my brother or mother can remember an occasion we shared so differently than I do. 

He don't want to help me with anything big or small. That's why I don't respect him or care much anymore. What a lovely world. You can't take it with you when your gone but in your case please do.

On 6/7/2020 at 8:22 AM, sober4life said:

It amazes me where this story goes.  Let's defund the police they say.  Will the story ever make sense or is this just an endless nighmare?

Me too! And we're supposedly the ones with problems with our brains and dealing with reality. Yeah right. Let's see, the police don't all behave well, so we should just fire them all. Yep. That'll solve our problems nicely...

I was a cashier at a supermarket.  It's a nightmare.  You hear that sound so much from ringing up things with the machine that that sound never really goes away in your head.  You're lying awake in bed after a shift trying to get some sleep still hearing that dinging in your head.

This is why I don't understand when others gripe they have nobody to talk to. Go get a customer facing job then! Currently I only support clients over the phone but already is making me hate interacting with humans

I’m trying to stay focused and not allow my depression and anxiety to get the best of me as I pursue my Masters in Social Studies and History. If I can keep my head on straight and not lose my cool.  I will get my Class A License at the end of this month.  The pressure is building because it is only a four week course and the work load is crazy.

38 minutes ago, iWantRope said:

This is why I don't understand when others gripe they have nobody to talk to. Go get a customer facing job then! Currently I only support clients over the phone but already is making me hate interacting with humans

Wow, I do understand your frustrations 

15 hours ago, sober4life said:

I was a cashier at a supermarket.  It's a nightmare.  You hear that sound so much from ringing up things with the machine that that sound never really goes away in your head.  You're lying awake in bed after a shift trying to get some sleep still hearing that dinging in your head.

I feel you and I feel the same way about answering phone calls all day.  I can be walking and in the back of my mind I can hear phone ringing 

4 hours ago, Floor2017 said:

I feel you and I feel the same way about answering phone calls all day.  I can be walking and in the back of my mind I can hear phone ringing 

I hear false phone rings as well usually during times when I'm very stressed out.  My mind makes me hear the phone ringing to mess with me so I can't relax.