TA's "What's On Your Mind Right Now?" Thread, Part 4

Natasha1

2 hours ago, Atra said:

Today it is a milestone birthday for me, the big five-oh. I'm afraid and joyful. It's midlife, I didn't expect to reach this threshold guess I'm feeling a little wonder, too. 

Dark humorous thought passing through my mind:  Too late to die young now! 🤣

Happy birthday Atra 😄

Edited by hocico

Worried about family and friends in Connecticut and New York. My older sister, my aunt and uncle and several cousins on my side are up there, and most of my husband's family is still in NYC and Long Island where things are really bad. I hope everyone is OK.

I'm still trying my best to be positive and not to dwell on worry because that's just a dark tunnel that is very hard to find my way out of. 

On 4/5/2020 at 7:31 AM, sober4life said:

Why are people still going on cruise ships?🤯

I wondered the same.  Maybe, they are on cruises that sailed before COVID awareness.  Hard to believe any would sign on to a mega vessel after the stories.  Anyone who did would be cruisin' for a bruisin',  maybe croonin' for a harpoonin'.

Bulga

I want to watch Dawn Of The D**d, the original, but I always feel strangely sad afterward. I've always thought that out of any movie I've ever seen, it looks like it would have been the most fun to be a part of. Maybe it makes me feel deprived in a way.

Edited by SqueezeWax

1 hour ago, Bulgakov said:

I wondered the same.  Maybe, they are on cruises that sailed before COVID awareness.  Hard to believe any would sign on to a mega vessel after the stories.  Anyone who did would be cruisin' for a bruisin',  maybe croonin' for a harpoonin'.

Bulga

A big building basically out in the water that you can't escape doesn't sound like a vacation to me anyway!  Yes I know they make stops.  I would be gone the first stop.

I've heard a lot of TV talk about how we somehow allowed China to snooker us into leaving production of goods to them.  Not one has mentioned that the reason our manufacturing moved it's plants to China, Honduras,  is because they could get the highest profit with the cheapest labor.  Business models are pretty much designed for profit. 

I went to a garlic festival in Gilroy, CA one time.  Braided strings of garlic bulbs hung from a lot of the vendor tents. I noticed one had an "assembled in Mexico" tag on it.  I asked the  vendor and he said the growers had the garlic shipped to Mexico to braid, then sent back for sales. 

Working as desktop and network admin for a small CPA firm, I became aware that the CPAs paid an east Indian accounting firm to do the basic arithmetic and number crunching.  Their time was too dear, so they made a business decision.

We used to make steel, cars, dish washers, and medications for the world.  China and Bangladesh didn't steal our thunder.  We shared it out bit by bit to maximize profit.  But not for everyone, or even a majority. 

Bulga

Thinkimg about my day back at my job of watching my parents dogs and cats for my them  for a while since they're working during the week. Though a bit more of just watching a little puppy named Wyatt I'm taking care of and training for 3 months they need help with for a while. I can't wait to give them all hugs, kisses and relax with them today. 🐶🐱:hearts:

Just now, hocico said:

@Bulgakov what are your thoughts about B corps? :smile:

Hi  hocico,

I think if the effort to try and balance community welfare with private wealth is sincere, they're great.   As you suggest, there are exceptions from Ben and Jerry's (popular "green" --"B" type ice cream chain) to Bill Gates.

Peace, Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov

On 4/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, Atra said:

Today it is a milestone birthday for me, the big five-oh. I'm afraid and joyful. It's midlife, I didn't expect to reach this threshold guess I'm feeling a little wonder, too. 

Dark humorous thought passing through my mind:  Too late to die young now! 🤣

I'm sorry I missed your post yesterday...so a belated Happy Birthday to you @Atra!  🎂  Stay safe and healthy man! 🙂 

3 hours ago, SqueezeWax said:

I've had Blind Melon's 'No Rain' stuck in my head for the past two days, and I had a dream about it last night.

It's a sad video because of course the singer saw himself as bee girl and the way his life went he never found that place where he fit in.  I'm sure my life will go the way his did.  It's only a matter of when.

I'm slowly, warily wading back into Facebook in an effort to stay more informed and connected with my friends and extended family. I was only checking it twice a month. I last visited on my birthday to "like" all the well-wishes. But when I posted on my wall a big thanks to all, it seems nobody saw it; buried by the algorithm I suppose. 🤷‍♂️

So help me I know there are many reasons to avoid Facebook. And I don't want to ignore how people that are important to me are gathered there. 

How calm and content I feel right now. I also have a blank mind a bit more than usual at the moment which feels pretty nice actually. It's  not in a bad way I think it's more good since I always have so many things on my mind 24/7 and it hard for me to do anything without being in some pain. Possibly or is a great start from my new anxiety medication I started perhaps. Other than those things I'm enjoying watching the sunrise out my window as well hearing the lovely beatifulfil sounding birds sing. Lastly having a tubby warm cat in my arms sleeping keeping me company. 

How do people who aren't 'gear heads' have such a casual knowledge about cars? My mom could identify a car as a "1994 Ford Fiesta" or something, and I wouldn't have any idea what she was talking about. I forget half the time what model I drive. The same thing goes with breeds of dogs. I don't know how I missed out on amassing all this knowledge about dogs and cars.

Edited by SqueezeWax

1 hour ago, SqueezeWax said:

I don't know how I missed out on amassing all this knowledge about dogs and cars.

You probably have 'amassed knowledge' on a different subject -- some music genre, flowers, train/bus schedules, British sitcoms of the 1970's, etc. ....  There is a limitless list of subjects, and it is easy to learn about something you are interested in.