Jump to content

TA's "What's On Your Mind Right Now?" Thread, Part 4


Natasha1

Recommended Posts

On 3/10/2020 at 5:50 AM, sober4life said:

Yeah I'm not actually worried about the virus itself but the first cases are in my state now and I worry what these lunatics will do about it.  Like I said before people are acting like this is South Park with their reactions so really anything can happen in this world.  I will be the one on the news you see refusing to go into quarantine.

The media are gleefully whipping up the frenzy over the virus. I'm trying to figure out why. Yes, the ratings go up. But there has to be more to it. Who's pulling the strings behind what gets "pushed" and what doesn't? I have no trust whatsoever in the corporate media, nor the corporate-controlled government.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JD4010 said:

Everything is about this quarter's profits. EVERYTHING

True that.  Stocks are a good example.  Meeting quarterly earnings projections has become all important.  Stock performance, and the normal stats on productivity, have taken a back seat to making that number.  The number becomes the goal, as JD said.  And some entrepreneurial types like the Wolves of Wall Street, aren't concerned with how they get to the magic number, corporations too.

Bulga

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

The media are gleefully whipping up the frenzy over the virus. I'm trying to figure out why. Yes, the ratings go up. But there has to be more to it. Who's pulling the strings behind what gets "pushed" and what doesn't? I have no trust whatsoever in the corporate media, nor the corporate-controlled government.

I still think it's about getting Donald Trump out of office.  This keeps driving the stock market down.  The big selling point of keeping Trump in office is the thriving economy.  Most people would just try to get a better candidate in the running on the other side.  They spent all of their energy and money on trying to get him impeached until it was really too late though.  Now we all have to go down with the ship with the people that refuse to lose no matter what the consequences are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sober4life said:

I still think it's about getting Donald Trump out of office.  This keeps driving the stock market down.  The big selling point of keeping Trump in office is the thriving economy.  Most people would just try to get a better candidate in the running on the other side.  They spent all of their energy and money on trying to get him impeached until it was really too late though.  Now we all have to go down with the ship with the people that refuse to lose no matter what the consequences are.

I've lost complete interest in politics over the past few years. It has become nothing more than a giant Punch and Judy Show to keep us distracted, and to make us think we have something to say about the process. In actual fact, we don't. All of the real decisions go on behind the curtain. What we see is only what they want us to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

I've lost complete interest in politics over the past few years. It has become nothing more than a giant Punch and Judy Show to keep us distracted, and to make us think we have something to say about the process. In actual fact, we don't. All of the real decisions go on behind the curtain. What we see is only what they want us to see.

Of course we have no say.  Electing a president is too big of a thing to give to the people in a country they pretend is a free country by the people for the people while the people at the top kick back and never have a real job and take most of the people's money in taxes one way or another.  The electoral college elects the president.  The people never will.  The person that gets elected is just a figurehead like Ronald McDonald that does exactly what the rich people in the country tell him to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The possibility of running out of toilet paper makes me think of that one family I used to know who never had toilet paper.  They just used a rag and they all used the same rag for that and for baths.  What a messed up world we live in!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm the most paranoid person on earth but I'm still just looking at all the facts with this virus and I refuse to overreact to all of this.  I think they are taking major steps to make this virus go away before things get too big.  I'm still not personally afraid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This evening at work, we were told that starting tomorrow we will all be telecommuting as helpline counselors. That means I got to work from home. Yet another way this health crisis has forced social isolation upon me. Ain't nothing good about it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I am afraid now not for the same reasons others are but I'm back to being very afraid of people and the world again.  I'm only going to be around people if I absolutely have to be.  I have serious health problems but I'm not afraid whatsoever of me dying.  I'm afraid of a world taking my rights away like they have over and over again my whole life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We don't have enough people to handle this.   When I worked at the hospital as a cleaner , they were always overflowing with patients.  Also they close down hospitals every other day. Hope no one gets too bad sick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we look at the facts we're being told about the virus the way the world is acting doesn't line up with those facts whatsoever.  The way the world is acting is like the world believes this is the plague and we're all going to die.  Nothing has happened like this in my life at all.  I always think don't listen to what people say watch what they do and the rich people of this world are running afraid saying they don't care if they make money which hardly ever happens in this world.  Maybe things are much more serious than they are telling us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I knew almost 2 months ago after seeing the treatment in china. I knew it was coming here. I have never been that obsessed with the news or with buying stuff in bulk.

We might get blown up too.

Edited by watalife
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a lot really, my current case 

8 minutes ago, SoulSurvivor said:

I am on hold with the IRS...  pray for me...:sadwalk:

I am guessing it normally takes a while to get through to them? Over here most government departments keep you on hold for hours.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sober4life said:

If we look at the facts we're being told about the virus the way the world is acting doesn't line up with those facts whatsoever.  The way the world is acting is like the world believes this is the plague and we're all going to die.  Nothing has happened like this in my life at all.  I always think don't listen to what people say watch what they do and the rich people of this world are running afraid saying they don't care if they make money which hardly ever happens in this world.  Maybe things are much more serious than they are telling us.

Or maybe we are just susceptible to the herd mind.

I've given up on humanity. The virus won't **** us. Stupidity will.

Edited by samadhiSheol
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, samadhiSheol said:

Or maybe we are just susceptible to the herd mind.

I've given up on humanity. The virus won't **** us. Stupidity will.

I don't think I've given up on humanity.  I've never had much faith in them.  I've been afraid of everyone and haven't understood any of the things they do my whole life.  Situations like this scare me not because of the situation itself but the reactions of people scare me.  Not everyone goes out and buys groceries because they think the world is ending.  Some of us say we have to get the essentials before everyone clears the shelves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things are kind of crazy around here. My bro-in-law is in the hospital. Not with that, with bell palsy that is getting worse. They keeping him overnight to make sure the steroids are working.

I am slightly concerned about coronavirus, just because my husband got the swine flu when that was going around. He works with the public so he seems to get whatever is going around. I had even forgot, until he reminded me last night, that he spent a night in the hospital when he did have the swine flu.

They just cancelled his concert too, so he's upset about that. And, not that it's any skin off my back, but they're probably going to cancel Wrestlemania which is in Tampa this year. Actually I'd prefer if they do, since who wants all those people from everywhere around here while a virus is going around. Disney World is closing for two weeks too. Which is kinda funny only because my uncle is coming this weekend. The one who couldn't be bothered to return his RSVP card to my sister or my wedding, but is showing up for a weekend. Hope he wasn't planning on doing any sight-seeing. 😂 As it is, I'm not looking forward to going out to dinner with him and everyone on Saturday as I'd rather not be going out in general or making small talk with an uncle I've spent maybe a handful of times with over the years on top of that. Ah well. Just can't wait for everything to blow over.

And hopefully things will be back to normal next month or the uncle I actually care about probably won't want to come down here as planned. He already had to cancel his trip last year and this January and he didn't get all his money back from the airline. And ironically he was planning on taking us all to Disney World. I'm not holding my breath about anything at this point. Que será, será.

Oh, one more thing. I just remembered the news talking about the state possibly putting nursing homes on quarantine. My mom lives at a nursing home, so I really hope it doesn't come to that. It makes me really uneasy to think we might not be able to see her or take her out. So I am crossing my fingers that it doesn't come to that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sober4life said:

I don't think I've given up on humanity.  I've never had much faith in them.  I've been afraid of everyone and haven't understood any of the things they do my whole life.  Situations like this scare me not because of the situation itself but the reactions of people scare me.  Not everyone goes out and buys groceries because they think the world is ending.  Some of us say we have to get the essentials before everyone clears the shelves.

My point exactly. Not the situation in itself.. But how we react to any given panic ridden situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/11/2020 at 6:54 PM, JD4010 said:

The media are gleefully whipping up the frenzy over the virus. I'm trying to figure out why. Yes, the ratings go up. But there has to be more to it. Who's pulling the strings behind what gets "pushed" and what doesn't? I have no trust whatsoever in the corporate media, nor the corporate-controlled government.

Media sells panic and bad news, because good news isn't lucrative. Apparently we don't want good news. All we seem to want is blood, gore and a good old catastrophe.

Edited by samadhiSheol
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, samadhiSheol said:

My point exactly. Not the situation in itself.. But how we react to any given panic ridden situation.

It's hard though.  Everyone has a need for control in their life.  Usually when people try to get control in their lives it often doesn't make much sense like getting a truckload of toilet paper.  It must be very hard for some people like someone that is planning on retiring this year.  They are an age that could lose their life from the disease and they watch the stock market fall off of a cliff at the same time.  It has to be very hard to deal with.  They may have the thoughts that they could die and leave their families with nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


×
×
  • Create New...