Natasha1

TA's "What's On Your Mind Right Now?" Thread, Part 4

On 3/7/2020 at 12:44 AM, SoulSurvivor said:

In my opinion, we have life after after....  more than one life.... when the present body we are in gives out- however it's going to give out- our souls continue with another life....... sort of like Quantum Leap. ...  this is just what I believe and I also believe we see our loved ones again :smile:

On 3/7/2020 at 1:31 AM, AloneGuy said:

My own beliefs on that aren't too far from yours, though I believe there are also a couple other paths the soul might take after death depending on various circumstances.  I like the Quantum Leap analogy 🙂 I used to watch it back in the day.  

Ditto. I believe our souls move on to other destinations when we die. I believe we see loved ones again too 😊

8 hours ago, Epictetus said:

I am a teeny bit irked by how news aggregating sites [like Google News and others] put important and vital information out there from respectable publications [like cornavirus news] but when you "click" on the stories you find that you have to subscribe to those publications to read the stories. 

I know the media needs to make a profit to stay in business but I can't afford to subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Washington Post, Lancet, the New England Journal of Medicine and so on and sometimes I think the information is so important that it should be available for free. 

Sorry, just venting.

I've been thinking this too. I just do a keyword search if I can't find out through there high polluting top notch site. 

3 hours ago, watalife said:

I've been thinking this too. I just do a keyword search if I can't find out through there high polluting top notch site. 

I do totally agree with you and it is wrong to take advantage of people, who

just want to get to the bottom of the story.

I came across a low budget horror movie called The German Chainsaw Massacre from the early 90s, and I wish I could scrub my brain of any knowledge of it. Ultra violent horror comedies disturb me more than almost anything else. I woke up three times last night from nightmares, and I haven't even seen the thing, only read about it.

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2020 at 10:54 AM, sober4life said:

You sound exactly like me with every show I watch on tv.

The summer after I graduated high school in '08, I started watching Beverly Hills 90210, but had to stop halfway through the first season because of the presence of Jason Priestly and Brian Austin Green. It was hopeless.

Edited by SqueezeWax

I try to stay away from scary movies because that spirit can try to get in you and cause fear to enter into your mind.  Once fear enters into your spirit it can cause you all kind of anxiety.  Trust me I been there myself many times and now I try to guard my mind from such things as horror movies and scary stuff in general 

I try to stay away from scary movies because that spirit can try to get in you and cause fear to enter into your mind.  Once fear enters into your spirit it can cause you all kind of anxiety.  Trust me I been there myself many times and now I try to guard my mind from such things as horror movies and scary stuff in general 

The threat of Coronavirus is impossible for me to ignore. It has greatly affected my job, displaced my peer support group, cancelled my lip reading class and impacted public transit I rely on. The symphony and theaters I attend have also shut.

I'm feeling like my supports and self cares are chopped out from under me, all at once. This outbreak is having an enormous impact on my life in spite of not being sick myself nor anyone I know contracting the virus yet. The possibility of actually contracting coronavirus seems less serious of a threat to me now than social isolation and the collapse of activities which give my life meaning. 

Yeah I'm not actually worried about the virus itself but the first cases are in my state now and I worry what these lunatics will do about it.  Like I said before people are acting like this is South Park with their reactions so really anything can happen in this world.  I will be the one on the news you see refusing to go into quarantine.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Floor2017 said:

It can only effect me if it's gruesome and comedic. Something about horror films being gory and humorous can be unsettling in a way movies that are simply violent are not. Horror comedies are typically not funny or scary, though. At least I don't think so. There are only a very select few that trouble me.

Edited by SqueezeWax

I can't think of any movie that I would consider scary.  When I was young I was scared of some of them but now at my age it's almost impossible to find a good horror movie.  Real life has always been more scary.

Just now, sober4life said:

I can't think of any movie that I would consider scary.  When I was young I was scared of some of them but now at my age it's almost impossible to find a good horror movie.  Real life has always been more scary.

And real life and bad people make up most current horror movies.  I like horror movies, but in past decades the threat in the movies was often monsters, creative monsters like The Fly or Godzilla.  Horror movies today, most feature the extremes of human monstrosity, or else zombies.  Even the zombies don't torture people, they are simply mutants who want to eat your brain.  That's horror, that's entertainment.  Watching another drooling, overallled psycho hang and field dress a young gal, that's not scary, it's more of a way to de-evolve as a person.  

Bulga

On 3/7/2020 at 8:40 PM, Epictetus said:

I am a teeny bit irked by how news aggregating sites [like Google News and others] put important and vital information out there from respectable publications [like cornavirus news] but when you "click" on the stories you find that you have to subscribe to those publications to read the stories. 

I know the media needs to make a profit to stay in business but I can't afford to subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Washington Post, Lancet, the New England Journal of Medicine and so on and sometimes I think the information is so important that it should be available for free. 

Sorry, just venting.

Keep on venting. I used to think Google was an honest upstanding company that was bringing some nice technology to the web. Now I see them as every other big company. They modify their policies and your privacy settings so often and so convoluted that protecting you annonimty is next to impossible. They're selling your data and information like crazy. Up until recently they scanned all your email looking for marketing info. Not even clear exactly what they considered marketing info. You use them and their tools they have no respect for you at all. You're just a revenue generating stream. You do't even have the option to buy a secured or private version of their tools. So I have ditched them as much as possible. Went from using Chrome to Firefox. Use Duck Duck go for searching. My email with Google is the one I give to vendors and others that I consider junk. My primary is secured and protected. I went from general access to the web to using a secured VPN. My internet carrier is also every bit as bad, and worse than Google. They have a monopoly so getting around them requires VPN.

It's sad just how big of a bunch of whores these companies have become...

Rant over.

7 hours ago, sober4life said:

I don't think there's a such thing as an honest upstanding company.  

I wish you were wrong, but more and more it looks like you are right.  <*sigh*>

@In2deep4me I switched from Chrome to Firefox, too.  Then I heard about Brave and started using that browser.  I like it; most of the ads, etc. seem to have magically 'gone away'.

Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2020 at 10:02 AM, Atra said:

The possibility of actually contracting coronavirus seems less serious of a threat to me now than social isolation and the collapse of activities which give my life meaning

😥 Sorry to hear that the outbreak is affecting your quality of life Atra. The UK is sticking it's head in the sand at the moment and has adopted a 'business as usual' attitude towards it. Keep calm and carry on is prevalent here but people are afraid. So far I have been keeping calm and carrying on but as it gets closer to home I want lock down. Personally, I think the precautions your city is taking are sensible. I would rather keep people safe than take unnecessary risks. So I'm sad to hear your wellbeing is compromised but I'm glad that they are keeping you safe 🙂 lots of love

Edited by Nightjar

8 minutes ago, Nightjar said:

😥 Sorry to hear that the outbreak is affecting your quality of life Atra. The UK is sticking it's head in the sand at the moment and has adopted a 'business as usual' attitude towards it. Keep calm and carry on is prevalent here but people are afraid. So far I have been keeping calm and carrying on but as it gets closer to home I want lock down. Personally, I think the precautions your city is taking are sensible. I would rather keep people safe than take unnecessary risks. So I'm sad to hear your wellbeing is compromised but I'm glad that they are keeping you safe 🙂 lots of love

Hang in there my friend and hopefully the scare of the coronavirus will soon be over

34 minutes ago, Nightjar said:

It probably should be a business as usual attitude with this.  The world doesn't really know how bad things are.  The media has overblown it big time because all they care about is money from ratings.  If they scream at us we're all going to die long enough it creates this histeria because this world is too connected through technology at this point.  So the honest truth is people have no idea how bad things really are at this point.  The overreaction in cities is mostly "important" people protecting themselves from possible lawsuits down the road.  That's about it.

Is it realistic that a man in the early 19th century would fall madly in love with a courtesan they've caught a glimpse of for only a moment, and proceed to spend millions of dollars to win her over? 

21 hours ago, sober4life said:

I don't think there's a such thing as an honest upstanding company.  

Everything is about this quarter's profits. EVERYTHING. The Boeing 737-800 fiasco is direct proof of that.