• weight gain or loss (please specify)
    • excess sleepiness
    • insomnia/other sleep disturbances
    • rashes/allergic reactions
    • nausea
    • headaches
    • other side effects (please specify)
    • no side effects

Thank you Ados for the warm welcome!!!!! I am so glad people like us have a place where we can come and let it all out. I am seeing such a great amount of support as i browse through posts and we all know how important support from REAL people can be. I am glad to be a new member and look forward to listening and sharing. :hearts:

Yeah when you've felt the pain of a coronary artery spasm and then you feel a pain which mimics that pain it can be quite upsetting. I have been to doctors who all tell me i have no lasting effects from the event and show no signs of potential problems, but i know how i felt before and after this happened... i told them i continued to suffer from chest pain for months after it happened but still... "i am fine". When my grandfather died we were told he had a heart problem that must of gone undetected for YEARS which was interesting news. Still... i must attempt the meds again... i am in a long term relationship that is being HEAVILY effected from not driving to not going out in big crowds. Not to mention goals i put off again and again because of depression... ocd... and FEAR. So yeah... trying them again and i'll post again in this thread with same or different side effects. I'm just hoping i won't get the panic this time!

=)

Edited by midnightpet

I choose to fight this battle free of anti depressants....I think i'm just one of those people that they dont work for.....I've tried Zoloft, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Prozac and Imapramine and they all increased my anxieties ten fold....I was being treated more for anxiety then depression but I kinda think they go hand in hand because I feel my anxiety contributes heavily to my depression...Anyway...I hope the meds work out for you(((MP))) and I do know that some of the anti depressants have better calming qualities then others so I'd definitely keep that in mind...

im pretty used to side effects cus of the other meds i take for my other condition e.g steriods really not nice u get a big face!! its called 'moon face' ha ha anyway on fluoxetine had some very crazy side effects first i got rage about everything id have to throw things around suddenly and i became very assertive and would easily get into arguements whith anyone including strangers if they annoyed me!

then i started getting what i can only describe as a ball of anticipation in my chest that i wanted to get out but i didnt no how almost i needed an adrenaline rush, i felt almost as if i was invincible and wasnt scared of anything. im not proud of some of the things i did to try to get rid of it- this was when i started self harming because it was the only way i could get this weird feeling out of me. luckily i dont have either of those symptoms any more but mainly i have a problem with my sleep in that i sleep way to much! usually about 15 hours a night and ill have naps duing the day. sometimes i just fall asleep by accident anywhere!

also i like to know if anyones dreams have changed??? my are amazing they have become like films and they are so vivid in my mind during the day that i can remeber every single detail! also i'll will sometimes remember things and be really unsure as to whether it was a dream or not. one side effect that i think will be with me for ever now is the not being scared i kinda dont feel scared about death any more , which im sorry if this is gettin abit deep. lol thanx for reading!

im pretty used to side effects cus of the other meds i take for my other condition e.g steriods really not nice u get a big face!! its called 'moon face' ha ha anyway on fluoxetine had some very crazy side effects first i got rage about everything id have to throw things around suddenly and i became very assertive and would easily get into arguements whith anyone including strangers if they annoyed me!

then i started getting what i can only describe as a ball of anticipation in my chest that i wanted to get out but i didnt no how almost i needed an adrenaline rush, i felt almost as if i was invincible and wasnt scared of anything. im not proud of some of the things i did to try to get rid of it- this was when i started self harming because it was the only way i could get this weird feeling out of me. luckily i dont have either of those symptoms any more but mainly i have a problem with my sleep in that i sleep way to much! usually about 15 hours a night and ill have naps duing the day. sometimes i just fall asleep by accident anywhere!

also i like to know if anyones dreams have changed??? my are amazing they have become like films and they are so vivid in my mind during the day that i can remeber every single detail! also i'll will sometimes remember things and be really unsure as to whether it was a dream or not. one side effect that i think will be with me for ever now is the not being scared i kinda dont feel scared about death any more , which im sorry if this is gettin abit deep. lol thanx for reading!

Welcome, Princess!

Most all of the side effects you describe are typical ones that others have experienced. Too bad that you seem to have more of them then most folks do! I don't know how long you've been on the med, but generally the worst of the side effects are fading away within a couple of months. If you continue to have severe sleeping trouble or dreams that are bad enough to make you unsure of what is reality, I'd definitely talk to the doctor about it.

Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.

Weight gain -- the meds messed up my metabolism to the point where I can't seem to get back to my pre-med weight, no matter what I do... That's depressing in and of itself. I am off meds right now and very leary to go back on anything because I fear more weight gain, which I think would send me over the edge into a complete "breakdown".

Terrible Suicidal feelings.

Prozac had me climbing the walls...Almost literally. I couldn't relax and it felt like my head was going to explode. If the doctor hadn't changed my meds I believe I could have jumped in front of an oncoming bus.

Whew, shopgirl! I'm glad you're doing better now! Not everyone does well on the same AD.

Lucid Dreamer, I also have serious issues with weight gain, but I chose to make the depression my top priority. Also, keep in mind that some ADs tend to cause less weight gain than others (Wellbutrin often causes weight loss).

Oh, the anxiety! Which is the main reason I am taking Prozac to begin with.

I am entering week three, just upped my dose from 10 mg. to 20 mg. I'm sure this is just the start-up stuff and will go away soon (I hope, hope, hope!). I have good days, bad days and even worse days. Some days (like today) start out good and go downhill. I really don't like to take a anxiety med because they all make me so groggy, but sometimes I guess being groggy is better than feeling like I'm going to explode. At least I find I can use that extra enegy to get some stuff done, even though it may take me twice as long because I can't seem to stay focused for very long. And I try to tell myself that pacing is good...... it's just short distance power walking. :hearts:

Just call me tired but wired and looking to the future through anxiety-fogged glasses toward the day when the SE's settle down and I can truly LIVE again (I hope, hope, hope, hope!).

Hello :)

Has anyone suffered from bad indigestion and heartburn on Fluox? I get really crazy heart burn, and it makes me worry "Oh, heart problems!!!" but it's not really (just on a spot I know where I have a permanent nerve pinch in my chest).

It mostly comes after eating reasonably fatty foods. I am trying to watch my diet, but after I have something like takeaways, a steak, a rich sauce, or buttery potatoes, it hits. Doesn't help the anxiety makes my heart go bumpity bump!

Chocolate *IS* a food group! ;)

All sorts of stomach/digestive problems can be a side-effect of Prozac. If it's bothersome, talk it over with your doc.

I don't hear of too many people being bothered by jaw clenching with Prozac, but everyone responds differently.

Sometimes there are simple solutions to these side-effects, many of which ease up as your body adjusts to the AD. Sometimes a change is needed. Again, I think it's always a good idea to let your doc know what's going on.

I had a few of these but the one that sticks out in my mind is lossing xxlb in the first week of taking it.

*edited by moderator. # of plounds deleted so that it soes not trigger our members with eating disorders.

Edited by Sheepwoman

I've been taking 20mg of Prozac for about two weeks, I haven't really noticed a different in the way I've been feeling as such but I understand that it can take time for it to kick in. I've been getting muscle spasms in my calf muscles though and extreme aches in my legs/buttocks.

Edited by SnowWhiteQueen

Welcome to my life. :hearts: Yes, by subscribing to this (great) forum I feel I let a bunch of new friends (people who know what depression is) coming into my life. I really hope I will be able to be of some help for some of you as much as I know some of you will be helpful for me.

I am on Prozac for about 30 days now (20mg) and I started to see a few better days lately even though I keep being "sad" , hopeless. bored, anxious,....you all know what I mean. This thread is about side effects...well my most hated one is...time. I wish this med would work faster instead of months going through bad days followed by "normal" days. This is the second time I start prozac and I remember how it feels when the med kicks in. Not there yet. But I am patient. The first time I took prozac, I quit taking it cold turkey because...well I felt I didn't need it any longer (I know, its idiotic...). Of course I was wrong. Now, after more then 4 years of bad depression, I found the straingth to love myself again, enough to DO something for me (i.e. doc --->ADs). Thank you all for being there. :bump:

w

ps. Sorry if my english is too bad, it's not my first language :shocked:

Guest SarahN

Nausea.............happened the first time I was on prozac too, earlier this year. Now on day 10..........still get nauseous easily :hearts:

Just starting week 1 of Prozac. All I want to do is sleep... all day long.... :hearts: I've had one panic attack on this stuff (have never had one before and I was scared out of my mind)... but mainly I've just noticed that I'm really tired, all the time. I also feel kind of slow and stupid... my thoughts are slow and I've been noticing that I'm not coming up with the "right" words sometimes while I speak.

Gah, I hope this gets better. :bump:

- cath.

Edited by Cathalain

Just starting week 1 of Prozac. All I want to do is sleep... all day long.... :hearts: I've had one panic attack on this stuff (have never had one before and I was scared out of my mind)... but mainly I've just noticed that I'm really tired, all the time. I also feel kind of slow and stupid... my thoughts are slow and I've been noticing that I'm not coming up with the "right" words sometimes while I speak.

Gah, I hope this gets better. :bump:

- cath.

Yeah, the sleepiness sucks with Prozac. I'm taking an adrenal supplement though, and it really seems to help. That and my dose is only 10 mg daily.

With Wellbutrin I had the panic attacks (from withdrawal) and definatley not coming up with the "right" word ALL the time. With Prozac I'm pretty normal that way. "normal" heh.

Day 14 of second time on prozac. Last time I took it, it definitely made me feel happier, but I was falling a sleep all the time. This time I am feeling very naeous, digestive type problems and feeling pretty weird. Tierd, but full of energy in a strange way! Vivd dreams, and tend to sleep light and wake early (but had that before prozac...so..). Also, I have decided to cut out coffee consumption, from my former roughly 4 mugs (8 cups a day) to 1 mug(2 cups) in the morning. I am finding that extremely difficult, and is probably contributing to the discomfort from taking the prozac. Sorry, for the mess of this paragraph, my mind is also pretty jumbled, which is certainly not helping my attempted exam cramming! Anyway, cheers!

Guest Shewolf

I was on Prozac a few years ago.

I had to be taken off them as they made me violent.

Guest SarahN

I have been back on prozac for 5 or 6 weeks now, I am up to 60 mgr/day and have a lot more trouble sleeping lately, also suffer from headaches and nausea.

I am not sure if these are side effects of the prozac though, as other issues might be a source of these symptoms as well. But I have never slept this bad and been this tired :bump:

I will bring it up on my next visit with my tdoc for sure!!

SN :hearts:

I have ticked insomnia. I began 20mg 7 weeks ago and feel I have not had a proper night's sleep since!

I am now up to 40mg and I have also noticed that I am clumsy and (it's hard to explain) I have problem speaking and thinking of the right words...like a hangover when had far-too-much to drink the night before, does that make sense? My short term memory also appears affected., has anybody else had these side-effects? And, do they go away eventually? I did not notice them until I started on 40mg....I hope they do go away- I cannot live like this, I have a degree to finish :o(

Seems like meds with stimulation give me problems with headaches. Adderall, wellbutrin, cymbalta, and prozac gives me headaches. And when off meds, I never get headaches.