Sign in to follow this  
bellerose

Nightly dreaming on Buspirone

Dreaming has never been unusual to me. But recently, I’ve been having very loud dreams every night. They are usually typical school stress dreams (not knowing when n where my class is, starting a take home exam the day it’s due, being in class and realizing I have no idea what the class is about or what’s going on). I finished my degree over 3 years ago, though the whole college educational experience I had was one that really broke me.

These dreams usually involve other stressors in my life that are either very present in reality or issues I haven’t been able to deal with since I’ve been focusing on repairing other aspects of my life. I had my first nightmare in I don’t know how long earlier this month. I can’t remember the last time I woke up terrified and gasping for air before that morning.

Anyways, a correlation that might be relevant is starting the Buspirone 5 mg twice daily. I’ve moved my nighttime dose to late afternoon/early evening. Usually about 5 hours before trying to fall asleep. I’ve also been Taking Benadryl almost every night lately since my sleep drastically got worse about 5 months ago (before I started buspirone).

anyone else experiencing loud nightly dreaming after starting buspirone? If so, are they anxiety dreams as well? Have you found a way to combat them while staying on buspirone?

i kinda just want a little brain break from constantly analyzing and processing my thoughts n feelings. I don’t mind doing it in real life, but while I’m dreaming, I have no influence/control as to where my mind goes and I just have to run with it and wait until I wake up to realize none of my dream stressors actually happened. 

Hi Bellerose,

I take 5 mg of Buspirone in the morning.  Initially I experienced remembered vivid dreams.  That gradually stopped happening to me.

I don't know if this would be related to what is happening to you [so please don't rely on anything I say!] 

I've been on Ambien before for sleep but it quit working for me. 

Currently I am on Trazadone for sleep [about two years].  It seems to work very well for me. 

Benadryl is the strongest sleep medicine I have ever experienced but it makes me feel ill the next day.

I think I read somewhere that it puts people to sleep but alters sleep architecture so that sleep does not do what it is supposed to do, . . . like it creates an unhealthy artificial sleep that doesn't help the brain do what it needs to do in normal sleep.

I could be wrong about that.  I might have misread the article or the article might not be sound, medically speaking . . . so again, please do not rely on anything I say here.  I sure hope you find something that helps you.

I have experienced anxiety dreams when first starting Buspirone too.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It is very helpful to me personally since I haven't thought about these things for awhile.  I think your post will also help so many other people who use these Forums and have experiences with Buspirone and/or anxiety dreaming!

Are you finding that the Buspirone helps with anxiety during the day?

- epictetus

On 10/28/2019 at 2:14 PM, Epictetus said:

Hi Bellerose,

I take 5 mg of Buspirone in the morning.  Initially I experienced remembered vivid dreams.  That gradually stopped happening to me.

I don't know if this would be related to what is happening to you [so please don't rely on anything I say!] 

I've been on Ambien before for sleep but it quit working for me. 

Currently I am on Trazadone for sleep [about two years].  It seems to work very well for me. 

Benadryl is the strongest sleep medicine I have ever experienced but it makes me feel ill the next day.

I think I read somewhere that it puts people to sleep but alters sleep architecture so that sleep does not do what it is supposed to do, . . . like it creates an unhealthy artificial sleep that doesn't help the brain do what it needs to do in normal sleep.

I could be wrong about that.  I might have misread the article or the article might not be sound, medically speaking . . . so again, please do not rely on anything I say here.  I sure hope you find something that helps you.

I have experienced anxiety dreams when first starting Buspirone too.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It is very helpful to me personally since I haven't thought about these things for awhile.  I think your post will also help so many other people who use these Forums and have experiences with Buspirone and/or anxiety dreaming!

Are you finding that the Buspirone helps with anxiety during the day?

- epictetus

Update: I was relieved to see that I wasn’t alone with this experience. Thank you 🙂

It took a while for me to contemplate how much the Buspirone was working in my favor. Turns out it was significant enough to keep it going. My Psychiatrist and I worked out the best regimen for this particular med and it’s been working way better. My dreams are back to normal. Again, relieved!!

Meds are weird man. It’s a constant experiment with your stability. Exhausting!!