Sign in to follow this  
highanxiety

Withdrawing from Clonazepam:

I have been on Clonazepam for years and it has helped my anxiety.  However I would never had started it had my doctor said I could get addicted to it.  I started with 0.5 mg and bumped up through the last 10 or so years to 3 mg.  I don't want to go any higher and I think it isn't really working like it did, probably because my brain has assimulated to it.  The Psychiatrists and doctors I've talked to have all given different methods of getting off the clonazepam.  One is weaning off Clonazepam slowly using Valium.   Another is discontinuing 1/4 mgs a week. My former GP said it would take years to properly withdraw from it.  I watched a special on CNN on Benzos a couple of weeks ago.  Turns out apparently no one really knows the true method in helping someone withdraw.  They interviewed patients on Clonazepam trying to withdraw through several methods, and most made them really miserable.  I'm told withdrawing from Clonazepam can be almost worse than heroin.  Wondering if anyone has tried, and could maybe share their experience with me.  Much appreciated!

I've been off and on Clonazepam for 6 years. I don't think I've ever had any serious withdrawal symptoms. Only that inevitably my tics (a rapid jerk of my head)  would return, which is why I was prescribed it in the first place. 

I have also gained a greater tolerance for it. Half a milligram used to do wonders for me. Now I need at least 2 milligrams to weather very stressful situations.

Google "The Ashton Manual". You may want to check out "benzobuddies org" as well. I successfully withdrew from 2mg Xanax daily by switching to Valium and doing a slow taper. 

Hi Highanxiety,

I use Clonazepam for panic attacks that don't respond to cognitive therapy techniques.  So I don't have any experience with it for anxiety.

I wasn't aware of the things you mentioned in your post although I had heard that clonazepam can become addictive. 

I would think a very, very slow tapering off the med would be helpful but since I am not a doctor or medical professional of any kind my opinion should not be relied upon at all. 

A psychiatrist is probably the best medical professional to advice you on how to wean from this drug. 

So sorry I could not be helpful. 

I hope you will get lots of responses to your post from members with experience in these matters ! ! 

- epictetus

I was taking clonazepam for 10+ years, then tapering and I finally quit it in April. The Ashton Manual helped me.. Everyone's withdrawal is different, I'm still having issues but it's maybe because I can't stop thinking about my past..