Sign in to follow this  
Josephine

How long did it take prozac to work for you?

How long did it take prozac to work for you?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. How long did it take prozac to work for you?

• less than a week
    • one to two weeks
    • two to three weeks
    • three to four weeks
    • four to five weeks
    • five to six weeks
    • six to eight weeks
    • more than eight weeks (please specify)
    • I am still waiting for it to work
    • it didn't work

Bettyboo, maybe you should try something else--like Zooloft? I think after I come off prozac, if I ever need to go on an antidepressant again, I'll request to try Zooloft.

I've been taking fluoxetine for 10 days now maybe. I'm on Well-Butrin and switching from paxil to fluoxetine so I can start trying for a baby. I'm completely off the paxil now and I'm on 20 mg of fluoxetine. Thankfully I've noticed zero side effects, but I don't know that it's working either. My anxiety last week was so high, having some moments wondering if I was going to make it or if I even wanted to. I noticed suddenly yesterday though that I was rationalizing my way through a couple mildly upsetting things, which I hadn't been able to do since I started taking it. So maybe it's starting to work? I'm not sure. But I definitely still am not motivated at all. I'm glad to hear it took some time for some people here, so maybe there's hope it'll kick in.

I took 3 mornings of 5mg, 8 of 10mg and now I am on my 4th of 20mg. I feel more anxious and depressed than when I started. I have tried Paxil and Lexapro before which worked quickly, pooped out after 18 months or so and then I had hell getting off them, hence the move to Prozac. I feel like crap in the morning and gradually get better as the day goes on. I also believe my blood glucose has dropped (am not diabetic) and my GP is sending me for blood tests as he thinks it could be organic depression. Am I right in thinking that it is going to take a while to work and also, has it made anyone worse before getting better?

Hello all,

I am going to be going to the doc on Monday to ask to start taking Prozac again. I stopped taking it years ago because I lost my medical insurance and thought I could do without it. However, as it turns out, it appears it was more beneficial to me than I thought. When I was taking it, it seemed like it started working in about a week, but who knows, it could have all been in my head.

Hiya Denial, well that's great that you're seeing a result already! I know the waiting can be hard but like I said above, you're prolly over the worst of the side effects now.... what is your diagnosis, out of interest?

what are the worst side effects of this drug?

I took it for almost 6 months. It didn't work for me at all. Like so many other meds. Still trying to get the right meds for me. This was way before I found out I was BP1.

Jabberjaws

I started out at a really low dose because I have a history of low tolerance for side-effects. (I was on zoloft for less than two weeks because it gave me so much stomache upset and anxiety). So I was on 10mg for 3 months and now I'm bumped up to 20 mg for the last couple weeks. Only now am I starting to feel side effects really. Mostly anxiety and appetite changes. I think I was on a sub-therapeutic dose before. We'll see. I've been doing a lot better lately but I've also been in therapy and getting support from you guys, so I can't really say it was the meds.

I started taking 20 mg of prozac in the beginning of Sept. I had a lot of ups and downs with my moods. The dr told me to take 40mg in Nov. It leveled off after about 6 weeks total, but sometimes I do catch a "spell" where I just feel totally bummed. Overall my mood is a little better. The motivation...still working on it.

I took less than a week for me to begin to notice something different (ex. side effects - sweats, dreams, increased anxiety)-----but after 3-4 weeks it leveled out and I begin feeling refreshed, more alert, happier, hungrier, and more energetic - the "light" just turned back on in my world. 40 mg Prozac has been the only thing that's EVER worked for me.

I started taking 5mg of Prozac and increased to 10 mg. I have been on it 9 days now. I switched from Zoloft because Zoloft was causing my to compulsively overeat and act. I have started seeing Prozac's affect on my mood and ability to make rational decisions. Any ideas on how long Prozac takes to affect OCD and appetite? My doctor said I was on the low end of the dosing scale and she would increase the dose if needed, but I dont want to increase it if it takes weeks for OCD affects to be altered.

Thank you everyone for your compassion and excellent advice.

:hearts::flowers:

I took less than a week for me to begin to notice something different (ex. side effects - sweats, dreams, increased anxiety)-----but after 3-4 weeks it leveled out and I begin feeling refreshed, more alert, happier, hungrier, and more energetic - the "light" just turned back on in my world. 40 mg Prozac has been the only thing that's EVER worked for me.

Shanna - I agree absolutely. My own light just turned back on a few days ago and, so far, has stayed on. It's taken five months in my case on 40mgs a day but I'm in my fifties and apparently it's not unheard of for it to take that long to start to work, especially the older you get. I'd say, therefore, to anyone of my age to give it at least that long. I have until recently had only one thing to look forward to each day for a long time and that is such sleep as I could get at night. Right now, although I'm pleasantly tired, I don't want to go to bed because there are too many interesting things going on. I feel more alive than I have done in years.

Go serotonin!

well eight weeks for me now

I was hoping to feel way better....by now.

I am 46 and on 20mg....so maybe just takes longer for me

I do feel better than I was...so here is hoping

I've taken prozac 20mg for 3,5 weeks now, and I don't feel relief :( I'm still very depressed and social phobic. It's very discouraging, because previous time it started working in 2-3 weeks. I'm very afraid that it will not start working at all this time? :( I'm so tired of feeling like I do :(

I've taken prozac 20mg for 3,5 weeks now, and I don't feel relief :( I'm still very depressed and social phobic. It's very discouraging, because previous time it started working in 2-3 weeks. I'm very afraid that it will not start working at all this time? :( I'm so tired of feeling like I do :(

I know how you feel....I still have the social anxiety....a bit...too...not so much depressed anymore...

and I still have no motivation......it seems

i am thinking of asking for a dosage increase from 20 and see if that works...if not..maybe need to try something else...

Well My Doc upped my prozac from 20mg daily to 30mg

I have beenon it for 8 weeks...felt a bit better...but should feel way better..I think after 8 weeks...

so hopefully this will work

started yesterday...

will i get the side effects again....from the increase....I feel more....tense, anxious today..than other days

I also..needed someting for muscle relaxant...as I am so stressed and bored with nothing to do...but he said to give the prozac a bit longer...now with the increase...I sure hope so....this TMJ and tension is driving me nuts

He also said that ativan, can be used as a muscle relaxant and so far I only take 0.5 x 2 times aday...

But I have heard such horror stories about ativan...ie..addiction and such...I do not want to take much of it

SO PLEASE .....PROZAC....start working for my TMJ

PLEASE....

I just spent 4 weeks at 20 mg/day, at about 3 weeks I had to go back to him due to the anxiety issues, it was unbearable and I was ready to stop. He put me on Buspar and gave me some Klonopin, anxiety decreased over the next week, but still no benefit from the Prozac.

Spent another week at 40 mg/day with permission to go to 60 mg/day if I didn't start feeling any benefits. Today was my first day at 60 mg. I feel a bit more anxious, but not unbearable, I'm wondering if this isn't the desired effect since one of my major issues was energy/fatigue, which he was hoping the Prozac would resolve, as well as motivation.

My PDOC has told me that 20 mg is a very low dose, and there's a long ways to keep going to find the right dose, he seemed to think that 4 weeks was enough to know if you're ready to up the dose. I hate this part of ADs, getting to the effective dose.

I just spent 4 weeks at 20 mg/day, at about 3 weeks I had to go back to him due to the anxiety issues, it was unbearable and I was ready to stop. He put me on Buspar and gave me some Klonopin, anxiety decreased over the next week, but still no benefit from the Prozac.

Spent another week at 40 mg/day with permission to go to 60 mg/day if I didn't start feeling any benefits. Today was my first day at 60 mg. I feel a bit more anxious, but not unbearable, I'm wondering if this isn't the desired effect since one of my major issues was energy/fatigue, which he was hoping the Prozac would resolve, as well as motivation.

My PDOC has told me that 20 mg is a very low dose, and there's a long ways to keep going to find the right dose, he seemed to think that 4 weeks was enough to know if you're ready to up the dose. I hate this part of ADs, getting to the effective dose.

Maybe...that is with me too....increasing...and the desired effect..maybe that is why I feel more anxious...today..hmmm

I too really lack in the motivation, department...

Hey... http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/sty...fault/smile.gif

Ive been on 20mg fluoxitine for about 6 weeks now, and its been the best AD ive had.

I was on 20mg Citalopram for a year with no noticable changes except vivid dreams.

I was then put on 20mg paxil for about a year too, no real noticable difference in anxiety or low mood.

Recently i saw a psychairtrist at my uni (had only ever been to the GP about my depression)... and she diagnosed me with something called Dystymia, and took me off the paxil.

She said the for some reason Fluoxitine works far better than anything else for people with dysthymia... and also referred me to a psycho therapist (i had been to councilors before - but no real impact). There is a huge difference between a therapist and a councilor, its quite amazing what im learning about myself.

Anyway... Seeing a psychartrist was the best decision ive made in a very long time. If your AD's arnt working for you... see a psychairtrist, not just your GP.

My mood is far brighter, people have been commenting. And ive been feeling the most secure, and least self conscious and anxious i have felt in a very long time.

There is hope!!!

Edited by 360_kiwi

I've been at 60 mg/day for about 10 days now, still not seeing benefits. Still feeling tired, in spite of getting good sleep, will be trying Provigil soon.

I've been seeing a therapist for a bit, and she diagnosed me with dysthymia as well, and was very supportive of my GP prescribing Prozac. Unfortunately the Prozac is not doing what we hoped it would do (motivation, energy, anti depression).

I started a workout program a week ago, which has correlated with better sleep (although I still have to use sleep aids) and has probably improved my mood overall. Any benefits I attribute to that rather than the Prozac. I've been trying different meds for years now, getting really tired of it.