How long did it take prozac to work for you?

Josephine

How long did it take prozac to work for you?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. How long did it take prozac to work for you?

• less than a week
    • one to two weeks
    • two to three weeks
    • three to four weeks
    • four to five weeks
    • five to six weeks
    • six to eight weeks
    • more than eight weeks (please specify)
    • I am still waiting for it to work
    • it didn't work

Guest steven alex

I am really happy for you Raverbaby and like Ados says things may improve over the next month or so. Congratulations and best wishes. Steven.

I started Prozac 4 or so months ago and it took me roughly 5 weeks to begin to notice any difference. I was also taking Seroquel when I started Prozac so it was a little difficult to tell which was making me feel better- although we knew that the Seroquel worked instantaneously.

I would recommend both Prozac and Seroquel to anyone who suffers extreme anxiety- the Seroquel as an immediate relief for panic attacks and extreme anxiety as it works instantly and has a sedative affect and the Prozac for long term relief of anxiety.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have been on prozac since Jan 31 at which time I was switching over from

paxil. I never noticed any change so I guess they offset each other. I

am on 40mg a day now but I am also on a combo of other meds to keep

me feeling really good. I may go up on the prosac to see if it will work

well enough to drop some of my other meds. Is anyone on 60mg or higher?

It seems like a high dose to me but I usually require a hose dose.

Thanks and best wishes,

starr

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I began taking prozac years ago so to be honest I don't recall how long it took to kick in. I tried many other drugs, which didn't work, before trying prozac. Once on my doctor prescrided prozac he had to increase the dose a couple of times before it did begin to work, I remmember that much.

hello everyone, i have started my first dose of fluxetine today after stopping taking dosulepin (was on it on and off for around a year), i've just taken 20mg and my Dr said take 20mg once daily for two weeks then go back to see him, I just wondered what the differences were between the two AD's?, i did notice horrible weight gain with dosulepin so im hoping this will not happen with fluxetine?

Is there any other side affects i should watch for? and does anyone know if its safe to take with tramadol as i have been taking that for a while for my ongoing back problems :(, Lastly, does the sex drive problem affect mainly women of men too? (im male you see!)

Thanks guys and girls :hearts:

Hmmm, I am not familiar with your previous med, so hopefully someone else can help with that question.

Some folks do have trouble with weight gain on the SSRIs, but not necessarily. If you do have trouble, you may want to work at upping your exercising (which can also help depression). And of course talk to your doctor about your concerns.

As far as I know, the crummy sexual side effects tend to be an equal problem for men and women. That is the only side effect I've personally had that really causes me a problem. I've decided that the benefits of the AD, since it really is life-saving for me, outweigh that side effect. But, it sure is frustrating!

the AD i was taking maybe a UK only thing?

so far seems ok, had a really good sleep but didn't want to get up but im used to that from the other AD i was taking, the major problem though is that i seem to have a banging headache that is really annoying but that maybe from stopping the other AD as it may be a little early for any side effects from fluoxetine?

Edited by puffer

Could be the headache is from getting off the old AD, from starting the new one, or maybe you were just going to have a headache anyway and it is nothing to do with your meds! Sometimes we seem to blame everything on side effects, and it isn't necessarily the case. But you could be right, too. Just hang in there and of course, if things get really bad, contact your doctor. Hopefully your new med will kick in soon and you will see a big positive difference!

Could be the headache is from getting off the old AD, from starting the new one, or maybe you were just going to have a headache anyway and it is nothing to do with your meds! Sometimes we seem to blame everything on side effects, and it isn't necessarily the case. But you could be right, too. Just hang in there and of course, if things get really bad, contact your doctor. Hopefully your new med will kick in soon and you will see a big positive difference!

im not sure if its to early to see a difference as its only day three but i do feel more relaxed than usual and seem a little more positive, my headache has totally gone today :), no side affects apart from one odd one, since i started taking them i never feel hungary and i seem to have to force myself to eat! is this common? i find it a good side effect though as im always trying to eat healthy and would rather not getting hungary rather than eating rubbish 24/7!

• 4 weeks later...
Middle - generally the side effects such as you describe will go away as you become adjusted to the med.

White - that makes sense to me, too!

Thanks Ados... It was a bit worrying indeed, but you made me feel better. Don't want to run around for a year wqith a dry mounth!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey! I have been on it for nearly a month and I must say it worked pretty quickly in that I feel better and have not cried as much on it, however I am sooo sleepy! I am tired quite alot which I do not like at all!

Saying that and having read about other member's difficulty in sleeping and with nightmares, I

Hey! I have been on it for nearly a month and I must say it worked pretty quickly in that I feel better and have not cried as much on it, however I am sooo sleepy! I am tired quite alot which I do not like at all!

Saying that and having read about other member's difficulty in sleeping and with nightmares, I

Sorry!! Didn't finish what I was saying...

I don't have that difficulty and before the prozac I did!!

So it's a case of some things work and others don't, it's really strange how we are individually affected by the same med....

Anyway..peace!

6 weeks.

After suffering nearly every side-effect possible at some point :bump: , the fluoxetine (20mg) has finally started to help with my depression. I still feel mild to moderately depressed sometimes but I don't feel the gut-wrenching, guilt laden, all consuming heavy blackness of depression at its worst :hearts: . It's like the fluoxetine has put up an invisible barrier and it wont let me go past.

Like with all psychiatric drugs it can take up to 8 weeks to get the full benefit. Prozac also helps with anxiety and PMS (for those who have that malady). The other factors to consider while starting up on any med, is how fast our body metabolizes anything. Some of us have quicker or slower response time. Doseage also plays a factor. As a note, Prozac should be taken in the morning and not at night. Since this is an "upper", when it is taken at night, sleep or getting to sleep is sometimes impossible.

For those with the dry mouth side-effect, try chewing gum or a bit of lemon zest during the day. They both help in salivation production. It works.

Sheepwoman :hearts:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm on my third day. Although I'm really tired a lot of the time and I'm sleeping an awful lot, when I am awake, I feel pretty good. A lot of things that were triggering my depressive moods before aren't really bothering me at present, so in my mind that's a victory.

It's still early, so we'll see what happens. I sure wish that I could feel energetic a bit more than 4 hours a day, though. :hearts:

• 1 month later...

Hey, i'm new to the forum, on day 4 of fluoxetine (20mg). First-off i'll like to thank everyone who has shared their experiences so far in this post. It's so reasuring to know there are people in the same boat giving me the strength to battle onward. :hearts:

Effects:

Its been a rough start for me, I had a slight cold when i started taking the ADs which has turned into full blown flu so it's been hard figuring out what symptoms are being caused by which and the last few days have been pretty dark. I did get insomnia for the first night but fortunately that seems to have passed for now (i don't know if taking the pill at midday has helped or hindered this), though I'm still getting pretty bad headaches and am very tired.

Anxiety yesterday and today is the biggest problem. Today is really hard, I feel like i'm in one big anxiety attack... i'm wondering if this is the mysterious "inner restlessness" effect that has been mentioned before... i just want to yell or run around or hide somewhere dark. Has anyone else felt like this?

I think i'm just one of those for whom it gets worse before it gets better and I'm sticking it out hoping the 'better' comes soon. My only advice in these early days is if possible start ADs on a day when your feeling physically healthy, that way if you do get side effects you don't end up dealing with them on top of other probs.

Keep going, don't look back,

Tass

• 2 weeks later...