Sign in to follow this  
Josephine

How long did it take prozac to work for you?

How long did it take prozac to work for you?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. How long did it take prozac to work for you?

• less than a week
    • one to two weeks
    • two to three weeks
    • three to four weeks
    • four to five weeks
    • five to six weeks
    • six to eight weeks
    • more than eight weeks (please specify)
    • I am still waiting for it to work
    • it didn't work

Hmm, yeah... Prozac has yet to do anything for me... but then again... my depression is pretty situational (withdrawing from drugs alcohol and nicotine, social loss, financial loss, etc).   It'd be nice if I could perk up a smile.... and not feel a weight on my body constnatnly.  It's a weight mostly on the lung muscles, sometimes making it hard to breath... weird, probably regular stuff for depression.

Anyway, 3 weeks so far, not much other than slight side effects.  But like I said, the situation I'm in, and what I'm doing makes it far too easy to get down.

This is my 6th day on prozac. And about for four days now I feel worser than I did before. I am tense, upset, I have anxiety and I sleep less. What should I do? Do you think should I wait more or to stop taking because prozac  is driving me crazy.

Hi Alen! Welcome to the boards. The start up effects of prozac can sometimes be hard, but I'd urge you to stay with it, especially as, after six days, they should start easing soon. I would not, at least, stop taking it without consulting your GP. Best of luck!

I had the same problem the first week or so.  Really drowsy, a ton of anxiety.  They gradually do go away, but you have to give it time.  There were many days I felt like not taking it anymore, but my girlfriend helped me through it.  

Its been two months now, and my overall mood is a 100% better than before.  I still have my moments, but I don't obsess like I did.

Thanks Josephine and denail. I really did feel better after you posted your comments. Day before yesterday I was really feeling much much better, yesterday not so, but today again I am feeling better. It seems that przac has started to give the positive effects.

Thanks again

You're more than welcome and keep posting :). This drug has made such a difference to my life -though it did take quite a long time to kick in - that I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Hi all,

I'm new to the Prozac section but not new to AD's or unfortunately depression. I was on Paxil for a year,(gained 20lbs) then was on Zoloft for two years and gained another 10lbs. I weaned myself off Zoloft and was med free since September 20th but then slowly it started creeping back in the depression and dark cloud. I am trying Prozac this time. It was actually given to me at the tail end of my weaning off process of Zoloft as it has a longer half life and helped greatly with my withdrawl. Now I've decided to try prozac for my reoccurring depression. How long did it take to work for you guys? I found the other SSRI's I tried kicked in fast. I know i've only been taking this for four days but I don't feel much difference but no side effects either which is good. I hope I don't gain anymore weight and actually might lose a few pounds as i've heard there tends to be more weight loss with this drug is that true for anybody?

It doesn't seem that many people use these forums anymore. I remember when I was on a year or two ago there were so many responses. Or maybe no one take Prozac anymore?

Hi!! I had wondered if prozac was falling out of favour as the drug of choice .. most GPs seem to go for paxil first these days. Can we have a head count? How many of us out there are using prozac?

Hello there, been on Prozac for 4 months now. This is the first time I have tried AD's. I am a bit worried about how I will feel when I stop taking them. I have felt really positive since taking them, the only thing is I have gained about 14 pounds. But I don't hate myself the way I used to, and I have become much more sociable and made lots of new friends. I am going to eat healthy from tomorrow and start some exercise as I fancy a bit of an image change. I am much more at ease with my appearance than I used to be, I just fancy a change and my holiday to NYC next year is my inspiration. I shall try to save so that I can SHOP SHOP SHOP!!!!!

Must try not to over indulge at Christmas.....

Heh well I am glad you seem to feel better! i worry too as to what will happen when I come off meds .. in fact, that stopped me going on them for a long time. But I've adoped a 'cross that bridge when I come to it' type of attitude now :)

???

Hello

I have started to take proza today, i am on 20mgs a day i have just come off celax i have been on for about a month and a half but i found they didnt make much differences to me.

i am 18 and starting taking anti depression, i have people telling me to take them and peple telling me no, its really hard to decide what to do. i am just so sick and tired with the way i feel, feeling like there is nothing in life worth going on for. i look to the furture and cant see nothing i know that sounds crazy but i just dont feel like i have any feelings inside me apart from being sad angry.

i just hope these will work for me and make me feel better! ??? :hearts:

Hiya Loopy welcome to the forums! Personally prozac has been a god send for me. i had people telling me the same, that I should not use ADs yada yada yada and for a while I listened to them. But I was so glad when I eventually went on something! they really do change people's lives.

How are you going with the prozac?

I have been taking Fluoxetine for 3 weeks now and I am really concerned as I feel a lot more depressed than I did at the beginning. I have also started experiencing severe insomnia, nausea, headaches, and irritability. The 1st time round I had no side affects and started to feel better within 2 weeks. I dont understand why it is different this time.

:hearts:

Hi Catcat, welcome to the forums! Have you spoken to your doctor about this? I have heard, though am not positive, that it can take longer for a med to work the second time around. I wouldn't give up hope just yet though :).

Guest Tricia

It is too soon for me to tell - today was day three for me.  I can say that I felt pretty nauseous the first day but a bit better yesterday and today.  This is the first medication I have ever tried.  I was having some pretty bad anger episodes, negative thoughts about myself, general "blahs" about life in general.  I hope this makes me feel better - it seems to have a good effect already, but that cannot be since it takes longer than 3 days to kick in?

Hi Tricia,

Welcome here...yes, they tell me it takes 3-6 weeks for Prozac to do its thing. I'm at 2 1/2 weeks right now and really hoping that 3 weeks will start to see some help. I did feel a little better after the first week, but that tapered off a bit after the first few days. I, however, have been on meds for the last 4 years, so my experience may be a bit different than yours, since you are just getting started on meds. But I do relate to the waiting :)

And to being relatively new to this website. So welcome again!

Cat

Hi everyone,

Ive just started taking prozac, on my 2nd week at 60mg. Im wondering if this is too high a dose as every other thread ive read is with people taking 20-40.

I know the max is 80mg, I was just wondering if anyone has any views on this??

that's a helluva dose to start with .. how are you doing with it? Max might be 80 in the US but here they don't prescribe above 60 and rarely that .. I was only on 60 very briefly and my doc would not allow it for longer. What are you being treated for?

I have been on 60mg of the generic for Prozac, Fluoxetine for several months now. I started off at 20mg, bottomed out 6 weeks after I started taking it. My doctor bumped it up to 40mg, but I bottomed out again after 8 weeks. Now, I've been on 60mg for almost 3 months and I'm getting that feeling again. I can feel it coming and I can't stop it. I sometimes wonder if I am ever going to feel any better. Zoloft didn't help much, Celexa made me sucidal and Effexor raised my blood pressure too high. I'm scared to death wondering if this doesn't work what will happen. :hearts:

Try to have patience; it can take a lot of trial and error. But there are lots of different medications in different classifications that can be tried. Don't give up!

Please let us know how you're doing...

I'm sorry if i seem a little aggresive on my post but I am not happy with the distrubution of prozac.

ya it $@#$%ing helped me until i #$%#$%ing came down off the $^&*@ing high. Seriously waht are thjey giving us. I have heard so many failed attempts with prozac, the only good story i hheard is that its helping my mom with menopause seriously how is this legal? how is this the only medicine approved by the FDA to be used in children, this isnt safe it isnt worth the risk more studies need to be done or we are just going to end up going in the hole more and more. :hearts::bump::shocked:

Guest journey

Shazzam

post Nov 4 2004, 05:36 AM

Post #34

It doesn't seem that many people use these forums anymore. I remember when I was on a year or two ago there were so many responses. Or maybe no one take Prozac anymore?

My quote function is not working by the way. You know, I think less and less people are using Prozac now. it's one of the "old ones" as I have heard from lots of people. I am also a medical transcriptionist working the hospital, and I can tell you from experience that the anti-D of choice now is Celexa first, Paxil second. Prozac is really down at the bottom of the list now for doctors.

As for the person taking 60 mg - WOW. If it works for you, good. But I remember I could only take 20 mg. When I upped my dose to 40 mg I experienced major anxiety.