I remember when . . .

I remember my frustration as a second grader at never being able to find bear Beanie Babies anywhere during their heyday in the late 90s. I seem to remember the bears as being the most desirable, but that might have only been my perception as a nine year old. I feel dorky writing about this.

I remember and was into most of the fads of the mid to late 90s, like pogs, Tomagotchi's and Giga Pets, Crazy Bones, and Pokemon which was the last big toy fad I remember as a kid. I didn't get a Furby, but a few years after they were on the market I got a Petal Chi which was an animatronic flower that I think was even cooler. Troll dolls were my earliest obsession as a three or four year old.

I remember the rise and fall of the Spice Girls. In second grade they were all the rage among girls at my school. By the next school year, there was nothing lamer. I vividly remember Geri Halliwell leaving the group. It was shocking to me at that age that anyone would be unhappy in the Spice Girls.

Edited by SqueezeWax

I remember when the square-bodied delivery truck pulled up on a short street that divided the modest campus and quad of Fresno City College.  There were some students, but it was a Saturday I think.  Two guys in the truck cab got out, opened the rear doors of the truck, and started handing out pound packages of bacon, free, you just had to reach up and get it. 

That was 1974, and the bacon was a gift from a political and cantankerous group called the SLA, by way of very rich William Randolph Hearst.  They'd grabbed WRH's daughter, Patty, and demanded that Hearst get some food distributed, right now, without committees, votes, or bureaucratic fast talk.  That was two days before the truck pulled up, and I got my bacon. 

News was much more user friendly then. 

3 hours ago, sober4life said:

I used to have a bunch of the bear Beanie Babies.  Who knows what happened to them.  I remember garbage pail kids cards too.

I wish I had kept my old Garbage Pail Kids cards.  For a couple years back in the 80s my friends and I were really into them and did lots of chores for our parents to get them to drive us to 7-Eleven to buy a few packs haha.  I remember I had the complete second series, and I think most of the third as well.  Never did have any first series cards though...which were highly prized 🙂   

I remember the piercing fad for teen boys in the late 90s.  It was a 'skater' thing'. I got one when I was in second grade in '97. I kept pushing at it and the stud became stuck within my earlobe.

I also remember chain wallets. And '50s-style bowling and 'gas station attendant' shirts. All these things could be found at Pacific Sunwear and Gadzooks. And baggy carpenter shorts that fell to the knees.

I believe all this was commonly worn with Converse One Star shoes.

I also remember both teen girls and boys constantly dying their hair in the late 90s-early 2000s. I got blonde highlights when I was in fourth grade. It was very Backstreet Boys-looking.

And messenger bags and puffy vests! I was so proud to have a messenger bag in 2002. I still use them to this day. I had one puffy vest that was neon yellow, but I only wore once. It was really cool, but it was useless because it wasn't warm enough to wear outside, and I felt stupid wearing it indoors. It was essentially a winter coat without sleeves or hood.

And razor scooters. I got one for my 11th birthday in fourth grade. Silver with red handles and wheels.

Edited by SqueezeWax

On 3/19/2020 at 10:21 PM, shio said:

I remember when toilet paper came in pastel colours

I had forgotten about that!  Thanks for the reminder.  I even remember there was some toilet paper with flowers or patterns printed on it.  That did not seem to last long.  🙄

'Facial tissues' also came in pastel colors.  I remember when these were used to make puffy fake flowers.  Then those 'flowers' were stuck into chicken wire stretched over plywood shapes to make over-sized decorations used on floats in 'home town' parades.

I remember when I would open my mailbox in anticipation of some interesting or depressing letter, or bills, greeting cards. Now everything is delivered electronically and I throw away 99% of the mail I find in my mailbox. 

On 3/21/2020 at 6:03 PM, jkd_sd said:

I had forgotten about that!  Thanks for the reminder.  I even remember there was some toilet paper with flowers or patterns printed on it.  That did not seem to last long.  🙄

'Facial tissues' also came in pastel colors.  I remember when these were used to make puffy fake flowers.  Then those 'flowers' were stuck into chicken wire stretched over plywood shapes to make over-sized decorations used on floats in 'home town' parades.

That makes me think of the artificial flower trend in home decor in the early 90s. Some of my earliest memories are of my family's living room painted forest green, plush forest green carpeting, all the furniture in rose velvet, matching Victorian style curtains, harlequin masks on the walls, artificial flowers and the scent of potpourri.

I remember the advent of DVDs in the early 2000s. My father bought an expensive ultra deluxe Toshiba DVD player in the year 2000 which thinking back I can't fathom why because he's never been a movie watcher. I remember video stores subsequently heavily discounting all their VHSs and getting a bunch of new releases for $7 apiece.

• 3 months later...
On 3/28/2020 at 3:23 PM, SqueezeWax said:

I remember the advent of DVDs in the early 2000s. My father bought an expensive ultra deluxe Toshiba DVD player in the year 2000 which thinking back I can't fathom why because he's never been a movie watcher. I remember video stores subsequently heavily discounting all their VHSs and getting a bunch of new releases for $7 apiece.

I was witness to the advent of.. VIDEO my god!

4 minutes ago, Tymothi said:

I remember when I knew the names of my neighbors.

I've been here 3 years and I couldn't tell you any of their names.  Out here in the woods you might meet your neighbors in the beginning and then probably never again.

I remember eating breakfast at Sambo's.  The chain closed in 1982 because of financial troubles, and attacks on the name.  It was an easy call.  Now, everyone knows there are no easy calls unless you're a  rigid party animal.

Bulga

Edited by Bulgakov