Sign in to follow this  
Z Diggity Dog

People suck

I feel like a good amount of society has become so self-obsessed, that ignoring others and their needs is common place. It’s foreign to see others think outside of their own boxes. I’m sorry, not trying to be a downer. But you’re not alone. Not sure if ignoring will help or not but it can’t hurt to try. Just remember not to lose yourself to the mission and become like what you hate.

Just now, sober4life said:

I agree but what do you do if you feel everyone you come in contact with drains you?  In my real life almost everyone makes me sick.

I'm with you Sober!  I just made a macaroni salad, and I'm thinking maybe that will start to turn things around.---NO mustard.

Bulgakov

21 hours ago, downNotOut said:

They really do. Dogs are so much nicer.

As are cats.

I've become such a misanthrope. I don't like being around people and their narcissism. It has gotten worse as I've aged, too. 

The world has gotten much worse over my lifetime.  My grandma lived from 1918 to 2010.  She got to see a tremendous amount of progress with people over her lifetime.  Me from 1979 to now I have seen civilization fall off a cliff in my lifetime.  There are no morals or values anymore.  Anything goes and no news story no matter how horrible surprises us.

Toxic people can really take all the life out of a person.  I'm so sorry you keep getting ignored by people.  It's so awful, isn't it?  Wish I knew what to say to help but I am kind of in the same boat as you are.  - epictetus

Yeah but I see other people happy.  I'm tired of living my whole life bitter angry and afraid because I've figure out the truth of the world.  How can someone continue because you can't go back to thinking people are good and go back to believing the world is a good place.  Once you learn the truth about life it's over as far as I can see.

Obiously you are not alone with this observation. I find myself putting far more into a friendship sometimes that I get back.  Just an occassional "how are you doing" would surfice.  Finding I am having to let friendships and even family go to retain my self esteem and mental health.

I have to agree that there are toxic people that it's best to stay away from because it is contagious. But I also have to say that there are some really good people in this world that only want to help their fellow man. The thing is I believe we must be kind to everyone we come across because we really have no idea what they might be going through in their own life. We are commanded to love one another and that includes the toxic people, although we don't have to let them bring us down just stay away. Most people just want what most of us want and that's to be loved and be happy. Let's don't stereotype the whole world as being bad. I can sit here in my depression for days and weeks and not have anyone, other than my sister, check on the but I do not judge them. Sometimes I have to be the one to pick up the phone and call someone.

[image: Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.]

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
remove image

People have always sucked. It's in our genes to be self-absorbed, partial and aggressive towards anything beyond our immediate habitat/tribe.

It was probably a lifesaver for gatherer-hunters but now we live in overpopulated, overstressed environments, we see way more people on a daily basis than we are comfortable with. We are in an constant fight or run mode and it has gone overkill. We are complete aholes to one another.

Of course people suck. 

Edited by samadhiSheol

I think people have always been selfish, egotistic, harmful, it's not just now...we just hear about it now because of the Internet within minutes ...but look back at centuries ago, at wars, etc....weren't people cruel then? when people had no rights, especially woman who couldn't even talk if they got abused by their spouse? Humanity has always been cruel and unkind, if you are lucky to meet a few nice people in your lifetime, I'd be happy. But yes animals are better, both my dog and cat when I cry come near me, and sit next to me like to give me strength, i think they understand that I am hurting far more than a human. Humans don't care..

On 11/7/2019 at 8:59 AM, samadhiSheol said:

Animals. Everytime. No contest.

Seconded. Being at home with my cats is a wonderful refuge from having to deal with sh!tty people all day long.

People really do suck. I'm sitting here thinking about how all of my problems have another person's behaviour or expectations as a root cause. I mean, I completely suck as well, but I'm constantly dealing with people's inflated egos, pig-headedness, stupidity, greed, and a myriad of other negative characteristics. I've been trying (and failing) to cope with it for decades.

I'm utterly exhausted. I'm sick of it. I don't want anything more to do with people (beyond my daughter anyway).

My goal right now is to wander off into the forest as far away from people as possible, lie down in the snow, drift off to sleep, and never wake up again.

Edited by JD4010

Please do, but without the not waking up, please. Lying in the snow is in fact quite pleasurable.

I used to go up onto our roof in the winter as a kid and look up at the stars. I would be there for hours and my parents would get worried. I’d take all the blankets I could find. Admittedly your idea has it’s charm but..

The hoi polloi are not worth the bother, JD. F uck em. Let them wallow in their depravity. Not you.

Couple theories:

1. Some of y'all are travelling in lousy social circles, so you're meeting a lot of sucky people.

2. You're committing a lot of cognitive distortions and misinterpreting what people are doing or saying. 

Oh and stop watching the TV news.