Sign in to follow this  
everythingsgonnabealright

Anyone else constantly worry about money and the future?

A lot of my depression centres around constantly fretting about money and what the hell I'm gonna do in the future. I don't earn that much, am self employed and struggle daily with motivation and laziness. I don't come from a rich family either, I just kind of scrape by doing as little as I can get away with most of the time which doesn't exactly make me feel better but of course I know I have no-one else to blame but myself so I can't complain at all though I do anyway which I hate. I guess the culmination of these two worries is retirement and pensions. I know for a fact that if I even make it to retirement I will have to live on absolute PITTANCE. I guess a large part of me doesn't see that as a problem cos I'll have probably checked myself out by then anyway, guess you can call that a back up plan. Ways round not earning much is to lower your expenses i.e. moving to a third world country. I like travelling (who doesn't), am good at languages, can deal with heat and don't get bitten by mosquitoes much so could put up with living somewhere other than Europe. For a time I guess. When I went travelling to Asia last year I got a glimpse of what it's like to end up a fifty something year old western wash up on the beach drinking everyday. You meet these creepy old guys most of whom have married young local girls just to be able to stay and I thought to myself 'I don't wanna end up like that at all'. Now I guess it doesn't seem like all that bad of an idea.

I dunno I just despise money and how in love with the stuff everyone seems to be.

I wish I was dead so I didn't have to deal with any of this crap anymore.

Oh and my wonderful girlfriend is absolutely loaded too so I find my meager income pretty embarrassing. I know it's not good to compare yourself to others but I do anyway.

F.uck everything

Oh yeh and I forgot to mention that how expensive kids are contributes to me not wanting them either. How am I going to get away with being the laziest f.ucker I know if I have to get up at 6am every morning to wipe up baby s.hit? I hope my gf dumps my ass ASAP, then at least I'd have a vaguely valid reason for disappearing off into the horizon

Hi everythingsgonnabealright,

I also worry about money and the future.  Although I am not in the same boat as you are, perhaps we are both in the same ocean.  I'm already retired with a pension so one would think I have it made.  But actually my pension fund is in trouble and I don't relish the thought of living on Social Security alone because I have a lot of expensive health issues.

I have seen how in Hong Kong, the elderly often live in little cage-like enclosures to survive.  And I read a very shocking news item awhile back about how some Japanese elderly men commit crimes so they will be sent to prison where they will have food, shelter and medical care.   Scary times we are living in.

Wish I had some good advice for you but sadly I lack that kind of wisdom.  For me it is just day to day survival and wait and see.  Hope things work themselves out in the future in your favor!  You deserve some peace of mind!     - epictetus

There is always something to worry about.  Not a long walk if you're looking for something.

If money and the future  is that concerning, then you have a choice to do something about it.  Choosing to do nothing (nothing more than what you are currently doing) is a choice also.

If you were not worrying about money, or the future, what would you worry about?  Many people, it's the act of worrying and not the subject of that worry.

"The Future!" is such a nebulous thing, hard to rationally think about it.  I'm just trying to get by a day or week or a year at a time. Money is not everything.  It is helpful in getting you some stuff, sure.  But not other stuff.

Good academic excersize....If you were to win a big lottery right now, what would you do?  Would you marry your GF?  difference in wealth would not be an issue  Would you have kids? Would you escape to another country (with very low cost of living?)  Would you drink all day?  Would you persue meaningless physical relationships?  

I worry about money and the future as my job will end at the end of this year and I don't have a plan yet. I most likely will be poor when I retire yet I have looked into affordable housing for seniors and found a couple of places. I'm reading a book about worry and I've learned that if there is nothing I can do right now about a concern then it is unproductive worry and only wastes time and hurts me more. So I just focus on the moment and getting through the day.

BW

I never planned for retirement because I never expected to make anywhere close.  What a way to think of things.  Honestly my retirement will probably be the salvation army retirement like the guy I met at the homeless shelter.  I'll go from one homeless shelter to the next leaving after they kick me out.

I don't think there is a person on here who doesn't have that as one of their concerns.   I just lost my job after 22 years.  I have no savings.  I have a home, a wife & 3 kids...so needless to say I'm scared shitless of what the future is going to bring.  Not even the distant future, who can look that far ahead!?!  I'm worried about next week, and the week after.  So see, we all have our financial hells we are going through.  You are definitely NOT alone here my friend!