20YearsandCounting

epictetus' "Did You Ever?" Thread, Part 3

Share a light-hearted or funny little fact or incident about yourself, then pose a similar question for the next person to answer.

Question: have I ever participated in a charity walk or run

Answer: no, but it is my goal to get fit enough to run in the OKC Run to Remember. 

Query:  Have you ever been pleasantly surprised by someone you had stereotyped?

Here are the last few replies to get you started...

On 9/15/2019 at 1:28 AM, evalynn said:

I have not ever pet a hedgehog. I imagine they'd be quite spiky, but are they actually surprisingly soft? I'll put "petting a hedgehog" on my bucket list.

20 hours ago, sober4life said:

I swallowed a whole bottle of mouthwash on purpose before because of the alcohol in it.

Did you ever dress up like a clown one random day for no real reason?

15 hours ago, Nightjar said:

Not this week but we're only just getting started.

Have you ever gone back? Back to your ex/back to your home town/back to something you used to do? 

5 hours ago, evalynn said:

Yup. Went back to my ex and now we're married. Went back to my hometown last year, to visit, and I really enjoyed it and realized for the first time how beautiful it is. Went back to yoga and walking and writing and all kinds of things over the years, as I go through stages of productivity and stages of basically doing nothing.

Did you ever manage to come up with the perfect comeback right on the spot (as opposed to ruminating over it for days before you realized what you should have said)?

3 hours ago, Nightjar said:

Yup, I think so. These days I'm getting kinda quick with my comebacks. I never used to be like that. I was completely non combative and dreaming away on my own little cloud for a long time. But I guess the constant barrage of negativity coming my way finally toughened me up and now I tell it like it is 😆 an I'm all like 'I'm walking here' New York style.

Did you ever hit someone? (I slapped my violent ex and a gropey bouncer but that's it)

7 hours ago, evalynn said:

Hmm, I guess this only happens to me. I should probably be even more concerned than I already was.

Nope, don't fret. I've forgotten how to spell simple words and/or stared in disbelief at a common word, dumbstruck by how odd it looked. Buses? Shouldn't there be at least one more letter S? 

7 hours ago, evalynn said:

Did you ever fall asleep holding a glass of water or another liquid?

Erm. No. But I wouldn't be overly concerned. I mean, unless holding a glass of another liquid means spirit of the grain of grape. 

Did you ever drink a carbonated beverage and the fizz sorta went up your nose?

Yes, several that were real - and I'm here to tell those of you who don't believe in waterfalls that you are misguided. 

Did you ever cede ground to an especially ornery rooster or turkey?

No, but I've heard that they can be quite mean (but I can't blame them I guess; I would be pretty pissed if cousin Marsha was on someone's dinner plate).

Did you ever take in a stray (animal, person, extraterrestrial...)?

I know everyone likes to think they were someone cool like Cleopatra or something, but I was probably some lowly peasant or slave or maybe I was tried as a witch since people didn't understand mental illness in olden times.

Have you ever been to a psychic? Where they specific and accurate or suspiciously vague? 

Many times. Psychic mediums mainly. The mediums will communicate with your loved ones who have passed. They gave me messages and warnings about things which have been pretty much 99.9% accurate but the thing is they didn't change my course or plan of action. I was always gonna do what I was gonna do anyway lol.

They gave me things to worry about which wasn't great but they also gave me some nice messages and information about my loved ones which was really nice. Oh, and I didn't sleep for a week after the last time, it was so spooky. My grandmother was speaking to me through the medium which was strangely normal at the time but freaked me right out afterwards!

Have you ever thought you have found your life purpose? 

Yep. Presently found for the 3rd time so I must be getting closer-er now, right? 😂 I'm most miserable when I believe my life has no capital P, who isn't? 

Have you ever stared at a picture of your great or great, great grandparent to try and discern some facial feature that resembles yours?

Yes. My mom used to say she had no idea where my eyes came from--she'd call them "Tinkerbell eyes" because of their shape--and then one day I was sitting across from my great uncle and I realized I think I have his eyes. And then I saw a picture of my great grandmother and I think they're her eyes too. Occasionally I would get people asking if I was part Asian which I was pretty sure I wasn't, but then my sister keeps getting 2% Filipino on her DNA results so who knows? (And I keep getting 2% Spanish, and the first time I ever felt weirdly strong deja vu was when I was at a restaurant in Salamanca, Spain. 🤷🏽‍♀️) Anyway, I feel like I don't look anyone in particular but a little bit of a lot of people: my great uncle's eyes, my other uncle's nose and mouth, I don't know who gave me these elf ears...maybe I am related to Tinkerbell?😂 DNA is interesting, isn't it? 

Have you ever met a stranger it turned out you were related to?

Yes. It's been a while since the last time so now I'm worrying if my brain is working properly. 

Did you ever leave a voicemail message for yourself?

Yes, all the time. I have to use the Echo Dot to call my missing cell phone about 5 times a week, and it usually goes to voicemail before I find it so I've started to leave myself funny or odd messages.

Did you ever bury something in a time capsule, and have you retrieved it? If not, what would you leave in a time capsule for yourself or future generations?