Not a normal teenage girl

Objectively, I’m ugly. I have a square face, my eyes too small, my forehead too big it looks like my hair is receding, my nose is bumpy, wide, and meaty. My lips are big but they are shapeless. I have discoloration on my skin from acne and just natural discoloration cause I’m dark skin. Everyday on social media my friends all are out here so gorgeous and having normal teenage experiences (dates kisses relationships) and a boy has never even glanced at me. I feel like I’m gonna grow up ugly and alone forever and even if I am to find someone I feel like I will have to settle and be in an unhappy relationship just for the sake of not being alone. My heart breaks going outside and seeing all these amazing looking teenagers and people and I’m just here with a curse bestowed on my face. Even the basic thing of taking pictures I can’t even do. They say find your angle, lighting etc but what do you do when you don’t have an angle? When you whole face is just too ugly for the camera. Every “compliment” I’ve ever gotten were back handed. So I end up retreating by myself because every social interaction is a just anxiety. Then I enter deep depression holes where I don’t talk, look in mirrors, make eye contact, etc. It seems that being ugly is everything that holds me back. I can’t change my face and on most days I don’t even think I can learn to accept it. I feel like this is my life, this feeling is my life. Help 

I have been there. Heck, I am still there some days. There are more people out there than you can imagine who feel like they are not normal. Those girls that you see on your social media are, quite frankly, the outliers. I say, screw normal. I would rather be interesting and unique any day. 

Hey. I understand how hard it can be, especially with social media. I have struggled a lot with body image almost all my life, and a lot of that came from how guys treated me and how my friends continually were the ones the guys wanted. When I finally got to highschool, I did everything in my power to appear desireable. I harmed myself in a lot of ways and even still then I couldn't get photos that pleased me or clothes that fit the way I needed them to. I was always cutting and coloring my hair, changing my style, and even changing my personality to try and impress the same pool of guys. When I finally did get their attention, it didn't end well. I learned really quickly a lot of those guys were actually just major a**holes. They weren't even nice to those "pretty girls" who I'd been envious of all that time. They were just... mean. And in a crazy turn of events, I learned they were actually not worth MY time, not the other way around. And I also learned a lot of those girls who post those pictures and put out the vibe that they're "all that," didn't really feel that way, and were just as insecure as I am. A picture is worth a thousand words but I think right now all it means is validation for some people. Remember you are not alone, and you are beautiful and incredible just as you are! I would rather be different and happy than "normal" and not. Sending love!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 7:11 PM, ImHungry4life said:

Objectively, I’m ugly. I have a square face, my eyes too small, my forehead too big it looks like my hair is receding, my nose is bumpy, wide, and meaty. My lips are big but they are shapeless. I have discoloration on my skin from acne and just natural discoloration cause I’m dark skin. Everyday on social media my friends all are out here so gorgeous and having normal teenage experiences (dates kisses relationships) and a boy has never even glanced at me. I feel like I’m gonna grow up ugly and alone forever and even if I am to find someone I feel like I will have to settle and be in an unhappy relationship just for the sake of not being alone. My heart breaks going outside and seeing all these amazing looking teenagers and people and I’m just here with a curse bestowed on my face. Even the basic thing of taking pictures I can’t even do. They say find your angle, lighting etc but what do you do when you don’t have an angle? When you whole face is just too ugly for the camera. Every “compliment” I’ve ever gotten were back handed. So I end up retreating by myself because every social interaction is a just anxiety. Then I enter deep depression holes where I don’t talk, look in mirrors, make eye contact, etc. It seems that being ugly is everything that holds me back. I can’t change my face and on most days I don’t even think I can learn to accept it. I feel like this is my life, this feeling is my life. Help 

A delayed welcome to DF, Hungry.  :hugs:  You are amazing, and you have so much to offer everyone.  There is no one quite like you - there is more to you than how you look.  It is frustrating that the world/society is so hooked up on how people look.  When we don't conform to that 'standard' it can be very difficult to find a sense of self worth.  Focus on what you believe and what you can do. 

• 2 weeks later...

There is not much you can do about your face.  Take the best care of yourself as you can.  Be kind.  I would stay off of social media it is generally not a good thing (LinkedIn being an exception as it is a professional networking site).  Just work on improving yourself bit by bit. 

• 8 months later...
On 9/14/2019 at 1:11 AM, ImHungry4life said:

No matter how you look and no matter what you do. You need to remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people will be attracted you and others will not be. Believe in yourself, and believe that you can have success in your life. It is not all about looks, that is what the media says but what actually matters most is the persona and likeability, looks are not everything. I do think you are over thinking and looking at minor details and making them major. Your a teenager remember, naturally you have your whole life ahead of you. Women usually start off cute and then grow more attractive as time goes by. Believe in yourself.