Coming Off Sertaline And Swapping With More Natural!

I want to go into the Royal Navy but to get through the medical you must be completly off meds for 2 years.

Sertaline (Zoloft) has worked for me, the depression has died down and ive been able to get my life on track, so I thought hey, lets get off the meds.

I was taking 100mg a day when I was feeling good and now i am down to 25mg but there is a problem. I can feel the depression sweeping back like a black cloud.

I am also taking pure EPA (which is a type of fish oil) and 5-htp as I thought that coming off the meds on its own might cause problems and it has and im scared to death that im going to be on meds for the rest of my life as it means the Navy lifestyle that I dream of will not happen.

My depression is definitely a chemical imbalance, I can feel it in my head, like my brain functions are shutting down. It affects my speech as I cant think of things to say fast enough, and its just the worst illness on the planet!

Sorry to go on so much, Im just searching for answers which im sure everyone with this curse is as well.

So im wondering if anyone has any natural solutions that have worked for them? I was recomended Pure EPA and 5HTP by someone and am going to stick with them for now but I am open to suggestions!

Thanks for now!

I have tried a few alternatives such as Omega-3, St. John's wort, improving my diet, etc., but for me they only took the edge off of my depression and it wasn't enough. Some people do see improvement, and I did not a slight improvement myself, but for me it just wasn't enough.

I do hope you're doing this under a doctor's care, it's not a good idea to go experimenting on yourself!

Take care,

Dewayne

I agree with DeeBear regarding coming off meds without a pdoc's supervision. I'm hoping that you have consulted with your pdoc.

Many people use holistic medicine to help with depression. Herbals, 5htp, Omega 3 and dietary changes have helped some and not helped others. You might want to check out Posting, Asking and Sharing further down the menu or the Other Meds room. There are threads regarding various alternatives to AD's that people have used and their comments. Medication is the only thing that works for me.

The Royal Navy sounds very strict with their qualifications. The military branches in the US have a bit more relaxed requirements with enlistees.

Good luck.

Sheepwoman :hearts:

Yeah the doctor knows about me coming off them, but not about the natural ones, I am booking an appointment tomorrow to talk to him about it all.

Im off to do a ski season at the start of december for 5 months, which im terrified about because of the illness but at the same time I have to be off the meds to get into the Navy, I hate this illness so much.

Yeah they are strict in the UK, RAF, Navy and Army all have to be anti-depressant free for 2 years, but if it comes down to it, im going to have to go back on them because they did work and theres no way im going back to live the pathetic life that I had before, not wanting to leave the house and not wanting to talk to friends!

I'm so glad to hear you are going to discuss this with your doctor!

I do think it's sad that in many countries people who want to serve their country are prevented from doing so if they're on AD's. Good luck to you paradox69, and let us know how you're doing, okay!

Take care,

Dewayne

I'm so glad to hear you are going to discuss this with your doctor!

I do think it's sad that in many countries people who want to serve their country are prevented from doing so if they're on AD's. Good luck to you paradox69, and let us know how you're doing, okay!

Take care,

Dewayne

Yeah I know, the ironic thing is that I went for all the exams and got past the interview because I was feeling back to normal, then failed the medical because of the AD's. Most gutting moment of my life by miles.

Anywoo, I think im going to stay on the meds for now, been cutting them down for a month now and am slowly been getting worse and with this ski season coming up I cant afford to be feeling like s*** while im there. Im slowly coming to terms with the fact that I may be on these forever.

I know how troubling it is to think of being on meds the rest of your life. I'm a bit jealous of those who can take them for a while to get over a rough patch and then go on with their lives. I'm not one of those people.

I made the incredibly foolish mistake of taking myself completely off my meds once. Despite what you might think in reading some of my posts, I really don't like meds. But I like them much better than depression. Meds are simply the lesser of two evils, much, much, much less evil than depression IMHO. I am glad that we live in an age where this disease is treatable, though.

I hope someday all mental illness will be cured. It may not be possible, but it's a nice thought, anyway. And I hope you can get back to feeling better soon.

Take care,

Dewayne

Paradox69, let me echo what DeeBear is saying. Everytime I try to go off the meds (specifically Zoloft) or reduce the dosage way down like you did, the depression comes back, in spades. Once I get through this current horrific episode, I am going to stay on it permanently, at the appropriate dosage, with the hope that it forstalls any future recurrences. That is my hope, at least, and my pdoc concurs. Hoping all goes well for you.

Thanks for the replies everyone, its really nice to hear your stories as you know it can feel like your on your own with family and friends that do not understand.

Well, i decided to go back to 100mg again yesterday, dont know if its the meds working instantly or just a placebo effect but I feel back to normal (ish) today and just getting on with things. I know at some point im going to have to tell my mum that im back on the AD's. She is the type of parent who thinks I dont really need them (if only she could be inside my shoes for one of the BAD days, she would understand in an instant).

She doesnt want me back on them cos as soon as I do, I push my application back for the navy even furthur, but to be honest, if I dont have this medication I might not be making out the door of my house and if I cant go into the navy, then so be it, it just wasnt meant to be!

Going to the docs tomorrow to discuss the next 6 months, seeing as I will not be in the Uk for the period of time, I need to know I will have treatment while im away!

It's great that you are taking care of yourself and planning ahead. And it's especially hard when you are around people who don't understand and don't believe in depression. I wish we were just making it up.

Keep looking after yourself!

Take care,

Dewayne

Ok, just got back from the docs, haven't seen her before but she was very nice, understood everything I told her straight away! Anyways, she agreed I should go back to 100mg of Sertaline as I told her I was going away and she also agreed it could be risky to experiment with coming off the meds while I was in France, which I agreed with totally.

She also recomended doing some research on Cognitive Behavioral Theropy (CBT) as this could also help, although I do feel 100% that I have a chemical imbalance depression rather than the other types you can get, but I am ready to give anything a go!

Have to go back to see the docs once more before heading off to France but at least now I can accept the fact I will be on meds throughout the trip and not end up petrified about what would happen if depression takes over (im 99.9% sure I would not be able to do the season without the meds) while im in another country.

Hi paradox,

Even though I too have the chemical imbalance, it has led to many destructive thought patterns for me, and therapy has helped me even though I haven't been in it for long. It's often hard finding a good therapist, but I really think that everyone with depression, not just people with "situational" depression can benefit from counseling.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Take care,

Dewayne

It's not that it helps with the chemical imbalance - it's that it helps me cope with the thoughts I have because of the chemical imbalance. My chemical depression has led to some very negative thought patterns that are hard for me to escape from, and that's what therapy's helping me with. It's sort of my "how to" class for dealing with depression, and the cycle of low self esteem and negative thoughts about myself that drive me farther down. It doesn't help me stop the depression, but it does help me understand and deal with it better.

I also do have some situational things in my past that it's helping me with - but sometimes, just having a T there to talk to helps more than anything, because the people around me don't understand for the most part. And each T is different, but I'd have to say my therapist's approach largely fits the definition of CBT as I understand it.

Take care,

Dewayne