Sign in to follow this  
legacy6364

Antidepressants has taken away my sex drive.

I'm 28 years old and am suffering from Major Depressive Disorder. I've been taking Prozac for about a month and a half now and it's helped a little. It hasn't taken my depression away, but it does prevent me from hitting rock bottom. But there's a catch. I barely have any libido. Even if I can "rise to the occasion", I can't finish. How the hell can I be in a sexual relationship if I don't have will and drive to have sex?

I feel I am forever damned to walk the line of two worlds. One of lustrous luminous aspirations, and the other of disheartening obscurity. A spawn trapped in the fabrics of reality. Reaching for a world without sight. Screaming without a voice upon deaf ears. A loser.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Believe me I understand the libido issue with my prostate cancer hormone treatment.

I never used antidepressants and surely wouldn't.

Depression is not caused by a lack of antidepressants.

My experience tells me depression is a natural formation/RESOURCE.

I take note of your "rock bottom" metaphor.

Personally I invoke a cave metaphor for my depression because I find it exceedingly helpful.

I am sure other people on this forum will have helpful insights.

You are definitely not a loser.

Oscar

Diet and exercise make me feel better and I still have a high sex drive.  Do I feel good all the time?  Of course not nobody does but the healthier you are the better you feel in my opinion.

I might as well be a monk. My sex drive tanked after a year on Citalopram. Part of me doesn't care because I'm about as desirable as a swarm of horse flies at a picnic.