What Are You Eating? #3

1 hour ago, watalife said:

@sober4life I probably just don't know how to cook 😣 I can cook hamburger as a patty but the porks and steaks are always tough 😬😆

I can't really cook pork chops either.  For some reason people always put a fear in me that it has to be done or you'll get sick even though It hasn't happened yet in 41 years.  Some things stick with you though.  I wish something good would stick with me.  Steaks if I cook them are usually medium rare.  Mom used to work at a restaurant where a customer would come in and order a raw steak every day and he was fine.  For the most part if I can't throw it in the stove or microwave I don't usually bother with it.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:40 PM, watalife said:

@sober4life I probably just don't know how to cook 😣 I can cook hamburger as a patty but the porks and steaks are always tough 😬😆

I cook meat and fish on the grill outside. Even in the middle of winter. I just like doing it that way. I'm sure you can adapt it to your oven. I would not pan fry steak unless it is the really thin stuff.

Here's some important lessons I've learned. The less you touch or mess with it the better it cooks. Sounds simple and silly but it works. DO NOT - poke holes in the meat or make slices into it. Leave it as 1 piece. Any poking and cutting just lets the heat and juices out. You don't want that. When I cook a burger it gets flipped once to even out both sides then a last time to drop the cheese on it for a minute. Steak gets turned once to even it out. That's it. I see no reason to not cook it the same way in the oven. You adjust the time before you flip it to the desired final way you want it. Well done, with meat, usually ruins it. It's called shoe leather. 😉  I usually do pink in the middle. So it's cooked more than enough to cover food poisening concerns but not so much you dry it out.

If I grill tuna or pork chops I treat it much like a steak that cooks for less time. Whitefish I put into tin foil and test it by using the edge of a fork to see if the peices fall off with a little pressure.

I keep the grill between 350-400 and get the best results.

After reading lots of books on outdoor grilling I've come to that simple conclusion that less is more.

I saw plant based jerky today.  I feel like my favorite morning news guy I think we've been eating mystery meat for a long time now.  It started a long time ago over 20 years ago people were starting to question whether the meat was what people say it is and one fast food restaurant had to start posting 100% real beef on their boxes which didn't make me feel better a bit.  I fully thought they were lying.

If you're not vegetarian or vegan, then I've been using an old cooking trick I can recommend.  It's rendered bacon, or bacon fat, or bacon grease.  My favorite brand of bacon is  "Ends and Pieces," and it can be found across the country. 

So I carefully pour the bacon oil left after slow frying into a jar.  It goes in yellow, but dries to a cream white.  My grandma used to keep a jar under her sink, and so did my mom.   Lots of uses.  One of the OG flavoring agents.

Bulgakov