The Post Anything Thread #4

Message added by Forum Admin,

Post anything  does not mean you can post pictures. If you want to post pictures, start a gallery for yourself, or a blog to post your pictures and then post a link to your  DF’s Blog or Gallery ❣️

A reverse mortgage isn't a trick to take your home.  It's a loan like any other loan.  Yep and a loan when your house is used as collateral is always a trick to take your home.

Edited by sober4life

8 hours ago, sober4life said:

A reverse mortgage isn't a trick to take your home.  It's a loan like any other loan.  Yep and a loan when your house is used as collateral is always a trick to take your home.

It has always seemed particularly depressing and demoralizing to me that they're just waiting for you to d**.

6 hours ago, anon22ae said:

It has always seemed particularly depressing and demoralizing to me that they're just waiting for you to d**.

It's obvious why this commercial makes me mad right now.  At a time when we're supposed to be protecting the most vulnerable certain people are trying to make sure they get their houses before they leave this world.  They see the pandemic as an opportunity to get rich!

On 6/29/2020 at 4:16 AM, SoulSurvivor said:

Really?  Do you think it was a good idea?  I am having doubts.... I used up my small retirement to buy it, with the thinking that at least I wont be homeless as I get older and older. I didn't get a loft for that reason. It's just one floor.... It's been very challenging trying to find where it will be placed though. And contrary to what people think, Oregon isn't very tiny house friendly,  especially the ones on wheels.. Thank you for saying that it was a good idea...:smile:

I do think it's a good idea.  It's one less worry in later years.  Keep us posted👍

I wonder if I'll bother to follow sports this year. Shortened seasons, adjusted rules, games played without fans -- seems like it could be a pale facsimile of the sort of entertainment I'm accustomed to (and a big asterisk in the record books). 

A welcomed distraction? Another painful reminder of a lost year? I don't know how to feel. Someone tell me how to feel. 😉

7 minutes ago, Atra said:

A welcomed distraction? Another painful reminder of a lost year? I don't know how to feel. Someone tell me how to feel. 😉

It's not all gone! A football player just got over half a billion dollars for the ability to throw the football so his guys can catch it more times than the other guys. This is sort of like paying someone hundreds of millions of dollars to put the ball in the basket more times than the other guys. Sheesh! I guess I wasted all those long years of studying and trying to get good grades so I could have a career.

14 hours ago, Atra said:

I don't know how to feel. Someone tell me how to feel.

That is a very good description of my state of mind regarding Covid-19 and everything that goes along with it.  It is a kinda surreal feeling.  

7 hours ago, jkd_sd said:

That is a very good description of my state of mind regarding Covid-19 and everything that goes along with it.  It is a kinda surreal feeling.  

"Surreal" describes very well how I'm feeling, thanks for that. 

On the topic "I'm not sure how I feel", there's an article on Medium titled: No, How Are You, Really? It might be worth a look for some analysis of that surrealness you identified. Maybe the author gets a bit preachy at the end but heh yeah, I did ask, Someone tell me how to feel?

How do I feel about it?  There hasn't been one day where all I worry about is catching the virus.  There has been so much happening because of the virus.  I focus on how scared of the people I am more than anything.  I see wearing a mask or not becoming a political thing.  I see them using the kids as pawns in their politics.  I see mayors and governors acting like the worst teams in the NBA where they say why don't we throw the season so we get the best lottery picks next year.  Mayors and governors are saying the hell with it we should make our towns and states as bad as possible hoping to get bailed out by the government.

3 hours ago, Atra said:

On the topic "I'm not sure how I feel", there's an article on Medium titled: No, How Are You, Really?

Oops!  Hit the wrong button and posted this message way too soon.  Am editing message to return my intended reply.

-----------

I found and read the article.  Very interesting!  I think she makes some very good points.  

I especially like where she says, "One of the real reasons it’s hard to feel totally normal even though all our current needs are met is because we don’t know when this will end and what it will look like when it does."

Thanks for mentioning this article.

Edited by jkd_sd

If you could cryogenically preserve your body after your death so that far future generations could resurrect you using far future technology, would you do it? Well, now you can! Give us $250K and we'll put your body into our air-conditioned facility in the Arizona desert. Only $80K if just the head! (For those wishing to live forever on a budget.) 100% no guarantee, since there's an almost 100% chance it won't work.

2 hours ago, anon22ae said:

If you could cryogenically preserve your body after your death so that far future generations could resurrect you using far future technology, would you do it? Well, now you can! Give us $250K and we'll put your body into our air-conditioned facility in the Arizona desert. Only $80K if just the head! (For those wishing to live forever on a budget.) 100% no guarantee, since there's an almost 100% chance it won't work.

I wouldn't do it.  I believe something like this will be possible one day but chances are it won't be technology the general public will be allowed to use.  I wouldn't do it because of who I would be helping to make rich now people that probably don't believe it will work at all.  They probably laugh every time they're getting paid.  I've paid out enought money for people to take advantage of me in this lifetime already.

17 hours ago, sober4life said:

I wouldn't do it.  I believe something like this will be possible one day but chances are it won't be technology the general public will be allowed to use.  I wouldn't do it because of who I would be helping to make rich now people that probably don't believe it will work at all.  They probably laugh every time they're getting paid.  I've paid out enought money for people to take advantage of me in this lifetime already.

I think I would pass as well. Even if anything of the people in those vats survives, chances are it will be damaged so much that they would be resurrected as vegetables. Few things would be worse than an eternal existence within just a shadow of yourself.

Edited by anon22ae

15 hours ago, anon22ae said:

I think I would pass as well. Even if anything of the people in those vats survives, chances are it will be damaged so much that they would be resurrected as vegetables. Few things would be worse than an eternal existence within just a shadow of yourself.

I'm worried enough that somebody in the future will be able to revive me just from my ashes. I can't imagine anything worse than going through this again, or longer than I have to.

I saw a Doctor Who episode one time that gave me nightmares for days. Something about way in the future, the last human descendant had been preserved for so long it eventually became just a face and some skin stretched across some kind of mechanism. I wish I could forget that image because it's deep, Lovecraftian, soul-horror. I don't want to be here now.

Today mandatory mask fascism has been introduced in Britain, never though I was actually appreciate having trouble with anxiety before but it seems my GAD means I am exempt from having anything covering my face, no doubt I will still have to deal with ignorant members of humanity but having crohns for years has made me rather used to dealing with stupid people who think your lying if there is nothing obvious to suggest your ill. 

Edited by hocico

I don't see why they don't just put school off till next year. They act like they're really learning something. I didn't learn a thing. It was a constant nightmare about what I wore or how I didn't fit in. I read somewhere that they want us to be dumb. Don't drink the water!

57 minutes ago, watalife said:

I don't see why they don't just put school off till next year. They act like they're really learning something. I didn't learn a thing. It was a constant nightmare about what I wore or how I didn't fit in. I read somewhere that they want us to be dumb. Don't drink the water!

I did regular school and home school.  Of course home school is easier.  At least it was back then.  The teacher would show up to the house long enought to tell me what my homework was that day and leave.  As soon as she left I would go back to playing video games and I would do my homework right before she showed up the next day.  You're right though people don't learn much or care most of the way through.  There's a reason they make Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader.  It's mostly just day care for parents so they are able to go to work to support the family.

5 hours ago, hocico said:

... no doubt I will still have to deal with ignorant members of humanity but having crohns for years has made me rather used to dealing with stupid people who think your lying if there is nothing obvious to suggest your ill.

Oh, you found one of my 'hot buttons'.  Both sides of this coin make me furious!

First, the people who think you are lying and there is nothing at all wrong if you do not look like you were just in a massive train wreck.  Second, the people who have nothing wrong but manage to get some type of 'disabled' label just because they are lazy.   Once I heard someone who had 'scammed' a handicapped parking sticker say, "Well, why should they have all the good parking spots?".  Grrrrrr!

I wear a mask for a couple of reasons.  One, it doesn't pose a problem or hardship for me, I don't mind it.  I don't have to wear it all day for a job, and my time in public is minimal.

Second point for me is that masks have historically been shown to help in slowing the spread of virus.  How effective is an ongoing debate.  So far, nothing else offered as therapy or vaccine has proved to be more effective.

If you can't use a mask, or choose to not-mask as a philosophical, political, or a moral issue, that's o.k. with me.   Just keep a civil distance and don't bark or cough in my direction.    

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov
editing never ends

I wear a mask its mandatory in my location.  I don't like wearing it.  It's hot, fogs up my glasses, and I feel like I'm hyperventilating.  If it was not mandatory would I still wear it?  Yes, I would.  There are a high number of cases in my area.  I wore one today to an appt to have work done on my car.  It took 4 hours.  I felt miserable.  I hate to complain.  I guess I just wish things could go back to the way they were.