20YearsandCounting

Lonelystreet's 'What made you smile today? :)' Thread, Part 2

What a great thread!  Oldie but a goodie! 

Here is the original post:

This is a thread to focus on the positives, so what small thing may have made you smile today?

For me : it was hearing a song i haven't heard in so long. It brought back great memories and made me smile :upside:

How about you?

On 8/25/2019 at 4:22 AM, evalynn said:

Mom laughed a few times today. The first time, when I was talking to my husband and dad about something not even trying to be funny, and she burst into laughter for a full minute. Then again when trying to blow out her birthday candles, and again outside when a lizard fell in her hair. She also pet the dog and picked up her granddaughter. So all in all, she was more responsive today than I was expecting when we first picked her up at the home.

My husband really loved my cake, and said it was my best one yet. I agree. 🙂

My niece now says, "More!" and "Outside!" (while extending her arms excitedly into the air), and "Balloon!" She looks at helium balloons the way I look at..well I don't know if I look at anything that level of pure awe and excitement. 

She's not even 2, and she's already so feisty, melodramatic and sarcastic. She had her first ice cream bar today, and got it all over her little face, which kept going from a sourpuss at the coldness of the ice cream to a big toothy grin at the taste. And apparently my dad's stairway is her Everest--she loves trying to climb that thing! 😆

It was a good day.

19 hours ago, Bulgakov said:

I laughed out loud at Shy80's comment on old men hitting on her.

"I know I have mental problems, but they take crazy to the extreme." 

It's a beautiful hyperbole.

Bulgakov

7 hours ago, watalife said:

A cat chattering 

I met a nice couple on the train who were coming from Wisconsin to visit the town where I was born.  I smiled because I had the mischievous thought:  boy are they in for some serious disappointment.  Hopefully they'll really enjoy it. 

Watching some old Rodney Dangerfield stand up and visits on the Johnny Carson show.  Rodney was a one-liner guy, though his schtick was that he got no respect.  "You know in Vegas now they even have slot machines in the grocery stores.  Cost me $440.00 for a dozen eggs last week."  That was a show from forty years ago, and he announced that Caddy Shack was just about to come out.  And who hasn't seen Caddy Shack.  Movies can make people, things, virtually immortal.  For me it's a straight line of only a trio of master one-line standups:  Henny Youngman, Rodney, Mitch Hedberg.  Lots of good ones, only a few great.  Sure you have your favorites. 

When I was looking round the Catholic church in a town I visited today as a tourist, I heard some snoring coming from the back of the church and  when I went back there to look at some of the interesting memorials I realised that there was a homeless guy sleeping there in a sleeping bag. It made me smile to see that he was out of the rain and had somewhere warm and dry to sleep undisturbed.

This banner headline on AP new site made me laugh:

‘This ain’t your mother’s marijuana,’ surgeon general says

Last I tried was 11 years ago or so, for medical when undergoing chemo and radiation, and it, even then, was was stronger than what I used as a young man.  I had to sit down on the floor in case I fell over.  The report today says THC content is approximately 3x stronger than the original Mexican leaf mix of the 60s-70s.  Seems to be growing implication that teens whose brains are still forming, and pregnant mothers should cease and  desist use.  For those of us whose brains are hardened, and not pregnant or breast feeding, nothing but the temporary effects are noted.  No debate invited here, I just laughed at the headline. 

I was looking on the internet and you can still buy nintendos and super nintendos.  It's very tempting to go on a huge shopping spree and relive my childhood.  Of course my childhood would have had to stop at some point to relive it.  It would be fun to go back to some of those games.

38 minutes ago, sober4life said:

I was looking on the internet and you can still buy nintendos and super nintendos.  It's very tempting to go on a huge shopping spree and relive my childhood.  Of course my childhood would have had to stop at some point to relive it.  It would be fun to go back to some of those games.

I've actually considered trying to hunt down an old Atari 2600 🙂  I had one when I was a kid in the early 80s and played it all the time.  I went on Amazon and noticed they now have something called Atari Flashback with all the old games built into the system (no more cartridges).  I may actually go for it the next time I have a little extra money.  I'd love to play all those old games again...those were good times.    

About five years ago I went back--I don't know how I went back, ha--and played the original Zelda.  They'd made a computer capable version.  I didn't use any cheats, but whizzed through it pretty fast since I had done it 30 years before.  If you've played it you might remember the "blue dog" room which was the biggest night mare room in the land.  It was those damn blue scotty dog things.  There were a ton of them in a small room, and you had to use the bow.   But  you'd get killed everything you tried to clear the room of them.  If you killed all but one and were killed, you had to start over with all of them.  And you couldn't **** a bunch and exit the room, because when you came back they  were all there again because you exited.  You didn't have time to drink the potion in the room itself, they'd shoot hell our of you before you could even get to the button.  Only way I ever cleared it and got a heart was there was a small area.  The trick was a sliver of a spot at the exit door where you could stand and not be shot, a very hard spot to find.  There, you could take time to drink some life potion and head back in.  You got an extra heart when you beat that room.  It was killer.