Jump to content

ejc's "What are you watching right now?" Thread, Part 3


Recommended Posts

Have been watching a clip of Al Jolson performing "Mammy" in "The Jazz Singer".  It was the first fully synchronized voice and film movie, known as the first "talkie".   I don't talk team politics here--or anywhere;  but Jolson's "Mammy" is a transcendental look at some sense of white culture in the Twenties.  Or white culture's take on motherly love in the black world . . .  It's so convoluted it makes your head spin. 

During the song, the jazz singer's mom is shown in the audience, in a radiant white sequined dress, her eyes welling up, her pride swelling.  Too, there is a brief look at his girl--I think--at the side of the stage.  She's dressed Twenties' flapper style and she is just about to swoon as she watches and listens to the singer.  That's black music for sure.   It is amazing to watch, and Jolson does throw his blackface heart into it. 

That was 1928..  In 1927, a blues man from Texas i think wrote and performed "Going Up The Country."  His name was Henry Thomas, and the song has been covered over the years, most famously by Canned Heat.  Henry played some African version of pan pipes to get what is usually played on a flute now.  Actually, Henry, Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, and many more blues men--and some women--were making black music that was vibrant.  It's amazing to hear, or to imagine how it arrived.  

The paradoxes and ironies between these two renditions of music and musical art come thick and fast.  I don't want to make a lot of value judgements, or draw conclusions.  It's just mind boggling.

Bulgakov

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, SoulSurvivor said:

I am watching a live Bird Cam  on you tube.... this one is from Akron, Ohio ...  I love to have different bird-cams on..... for background company... my cat does too. 🐦

🐈‍⬛ yes I love the snack cam, I mean err bird cam 😸

The Disappearance of Pato - An Italian police period drama

It's Easter weekend 1890 and Vigata is celebrating the occasion by putting on its annual staging of The Passion of Christ in the main square. At the end of the play, one of the performers, local accountant Antonio Pato, vanishes without trace. Pato's distraught wife Elisabetta reports the disappearance to the police, and Inspector Ernesto Bellavia promptly commences an investigation. Much to the chagrin, however, of local Carabinieri Marshal Paolo Giummaro, who insists that his forces will not be sidelined in the matter. The two rival investigators must overcome their differences, find a way of working together and discover what happened to the missing man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2021 at 1:24 PM, SoulSurvivor said:

I am watching a live Bird Cam  on you tube.... this one is from Akron, Ohio ...  I love to have different bird-cams on..... for background company... my cat does too. 🐦

What kind of birds.  The cardinals haven't showed up yet here but the blue jays are here.  There are times when those are about the only two birds left here in the cold weather times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sober4life said:

What kind of birds.  The cardinals haven't showed up yet here but the blue jays are here.  There are times when those are about the only two birds left here in the cold weather times.

Oh  on the Live Bird Cam they are a bit fancier than what shows up in my backyard ... so far I have identified Northern  Cardinals. the Nuthatch, Blue Jays and Black Capped Chickadees and Common Starlings...  I must get more bird food today... and nuts for the Squirrels....   I ordered a outdoor patio  umbrella from Walmart to keep the rain off them while they eat- or somewhat dry at least...  🐦🐦

Edited by SoulSurvivor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SoulSurvivor said:

Oh  on the Live Bird Cam they are a bit fancier than what shows up in my backyard ... so far I have identified Northern  Cardinals. the Nuthatch, Blue Jays and Black Capped Chickadees and Common Starlings...  I must get more bird food today... and nuts for the Squirrels....   I ordered a outdoor patio  umbrella from Walmart to keep the rain off them while they eat- or somewhat dry at least...  🐦🐦

Thanks you pretty much named all the birds I see here in Ohio this time of year.  I didn't know the names of the smaller birds you named.  If the cardinals are in Akron they're headed this way.❤️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sober4life said:

Thanks you pretty much named all the birds I see here in Ohio this time of year.  I didn't know the names of the smaller birds you named.  If the cardinals are in Akron they're headed this way.❤️

I wish we had Cardinals...  The regulars in my yard are Steller's Jays, Scrub Jays, Junco's. Robins, lots of Black Crows and Mourning Doves......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taboo - set in 1814, begins with James Delaney returning to England after twelve years in Africa with fourteen stolen diamonds, following the death of his father and as the war with The United States is nearing its end. The series explores the dark side of London in 19th century, along with political and business corruption, the gangs, the misery of the working class, and the increase in wealth of the rich.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...