ejc's "What are you watching right now?" Thread, Part 3

You know how sometimes when you're tired, you can't tell if something's actually hilarious or if it's just you? Well I'm watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 for the first time and this is actually hilarious? I'd never even heard of this show until last year, but it's pretty much what I do whenever my husband makes me watch a crappy movie with him. 

10 hours ago, evalynn said:

You know how sometimes when you're tired, you can't tell if something's actually hilarious or if it's just you? Well I'm watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 for the first time and this is actually hilarious? I'd never even heard of this show until last year, but it's pretty much what I do whenever my husband makes me watch a crappy movie with him. 

Oh it's great I love that show!  I watched it quite a bit in the 90s and now I DVR the episodes on a channel called Comet on weekends...funny stuff for sure 🙂    

On 4/25/2020 at 4:43 PM, AloneGuy said:

Planet Earth: Frozen Planet episode "Autumn" on BBC America.  

I think we've watched just about every episode of Planet Earth and most anything else that they have David Attenborough narrate.

7 hours ago, In2deep4me said:

I think we've watched just about every episode of Planet Earth and most anything else that they have David Attenborough narrate.

Yeah I think it's such a fascinating show and Attenborough is the best.  My favorite is probably Blue Planet but they're all good, and I just love anything to do with wildlife.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching Covideo on Fox. Familiar faces rotate on and off the screen.  I've never been a staunch political partisan.  And I try not to dwell/comment on anyone's physical appearance for the regular reasons.  But, in matters of choice and style, why the heck does she wear her eyebrows half way up her forehead?

Wondering, Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov

Those are her real eyebrows right?:unsure:I have no idea why people do that.  They get rid of their eyebrows and then they curve them way up like that.  You would think she wants those to be seen but her hair is mostly covering them.  I stopped trying to understand people a long time ago.

Kobe Bryant's final game is on ABC right now.  It wouldn't be a stretch to call it the best basketball game of all time.  Who could say I was wrong?   When I'm at my lowest point in my life this game comes on.

Edited by sober4life

On 5/16/2020 at 9:59 PM, Bulgakov said:

Just watching Covideo on Fox. Familiar faces rotate on and off the screen.  I've never been a staunch political partisan.  And I try not to dwell/comment on anyone's physical appearance for the regular reasons.  But, in matters of choice and style, why the heck does she wear her eyebrows half way up her forehead?

Wondering, Bulgakov

OK, I think I can help you with this.

Years ago, it wasn't fashionable to have much eyebrow hair and most people would pluck their eyebrows to oblivion. In many cases, this meant that their eyebrows eventually stopped growing. Hence, pencilling them in became a thing. Also, some people would just shave off their brows because they couldn't achieve the fashionable thin line and arch by plucking and so took the easy route to start from scratch and draw them on instead. Lol

I'm not sure how long it's been exactly, but eyebrows are 'back' these days ie: they're fashionable again. Roughly 20 years ago a certain model named Cara Delavigne with huge bushy eyebrows emerged onto the scene and then suddenly everyone wanted their eyebrows back. Everyone wanted to look like her. 

The 'full' eyebrow look was back but most women of a certain age had rid themselves of their eyebrows. Cue all kinds of professional and unprofessional pencilling in of brows and you have some strange results. 

I overplucked one of my eyebrows but luckily I hadn't permanently rid myself of my full brow as it has grown back. 

However, it's taken 10 years to grow back fully! I'm one of the lucky ones I guess 🤣

#slavetofashion

Edited by Nightjar

15 hours ago, Nightjar said:

However, it's taken 10 years to grow back fully! I'm one of the lucky ones I guess 🤣

#slavetofashion

Thanks NJ, I do like history of about any kind.  I did know a NP who practiced cosmetic tattooing--eyelids, eyebrows and more, and that was about 15-20 years ago.  Glad your follicles recovered!

Bulgakov

37 minutes ago, Bulgakov said:

Thanks NJ, I do like history of about any kind.  I did know a NP who practiced cosmetic tattooing--eyelids, eyebrows and more, and that was about 15-20 years ago.  Glad your follicles recovered!

Bulgakov

Wow I really didn't even know those things existed.  Then I looked for eyelid tattoos and some people got eye tattoos on their eyelids.  Wow!😲

Dig WW2 with Dan Snow - Dan Snow joins military archaelogists as they investigate the former battlegrounds of the Second World War, uncovering little-known stories through excavations and dives across Europe.

This one was about the war effort in Northern Ireland, some interesting personal veteran stories combined with some archaeology. They dived the empress castle a merchant ship sunk by a U-boat, excavated a spitfire which crashed in a bog in donegal (the boggy ground meant everything was really well preserved, so much so that they actually managed to restore one of the guns and get it firing!) and he even got to ride on top of the last remaining working Churchill tank 😄

Moving at times and a rather good history program, only thing that slightly annoyed me was him switching back and forth between calling it Derry and Londonderry, when he was in the North he was still calling it Derry!