ejc's "What are you watching right now?" Thread, Part 3

@Shijima

Ah similar thoughts to what I thought after watching it :smile:  it's not really a typical war film focusing on big battles and mass movements of men, it's the personal quest of two close soldier friends and their experiences as they cross the battle scared landscape and just try to survive and complete their mission. I thought it was very good, moving and dramatic in equal measure. 

Yes it was an unusual choice of camera angle that they used, it took a few minutes for me to get used to it but I found it made you feel like you were right there with them in the thick of the action and it gave you a sense of the landscape around them. 

Same here, the most interesting thing about history is hearing the personal experiences of people who were there, relating to them with how they felt and what they experienced. 

Sure I would like that, be warned though I could talk about history for hours :laugh: , is there any particular time period or history of a particular country that most fascinates you?  

Edited by hocico

@hocico

Nice to know you had similar thoughts and yeah I agree about the camera choice they wanted to do to film it. Yes I loved the idea of you being there too on how it was filmed it made it more real or personal I thought. I'm like that myself about hearing the true stories of men and women at war times or just history itself with other things. 

Don't  worry I wouldn't mind I like learning history stuff and talking about it. If it's about movies and other movies in genral I can talk for hours myself , heh I'm  a movie geek. I like WWII the most since my grandpa and grandma were in it. 

1917 was a great movie.  If the entire thing was exactly what happened it's something you could only imagine in a video game.  You could have tried the same exact scenario 100 times in a row and it might not work out.  Everything really had to work out perfectly every step of the way.

Just started watching Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome on my DVR.  I've been averaging about one movie per day lately to help pass the time, but I'll probably up that to 2 or 3 per day in the coming days and weeks.  I'm working on a list of films that I've either never seen, or haven't seen in a very long time.  Many of them aren't free to rent though so I need to be careful not to get too carried away.  

Edited by AloneGuy

The Lost Ships: The Hunt for the Kaiser's Superfleet

The true story of a search for a missing fleet of German warships, sunk by the Royal Navy off the Falkland Islands in December 1914, during one of the first great sea battles of the First World War. The Scharnhorst was an armoured cruiser and Admiral Graf von Spee's flagship.

1 hour ago, sober4life said:

General Hospital's outside scenes are so pathetic!  I can't believe they are on tv!😂

oh geez... My mom watched General hospital in the 60's when it was a 30 minute soap opera that came after One Life to Live and before that All My Children... they were all just 30 minutes long... black and white until the early 70's.. then sometime after they all turned to technicolor, they all switched to being an hour......  I can't believe General Hospital is still on.. I gave up watching that one a few years after Luke and Laura were married in the early 80's...   But I always continued watching All My Children... and I was so mad the way it ended.... the last words of that show was Erica Kane saying "Just watch me..."  and no one  will ever know what we were going to watch her do... biggest cliff hanger of all time... 

Well I started watching General Hospital about the same time you stopped watching and I've been watching ever since.  Why?  I can't stop.  I was able to stop watching Days of Our Lives so maybe there's hope for quitting General Hospital too.

2 hours ago, sober4life said:

Well I started watching General Hospital about the same time you stopped watching and I've been watching ever since.  Why?  I can't stop.  I was able to stop watching Days of Our Lives so maybe there's hope for quitting General Hospital too.

I don't know... my sister is still hooked on General Hospital ... I guess Bobbie the nurse is still there?  I think that would be the only person last standing from the olden days I would recognize :laugh:

2 hours ago, SoulSurvivor said:

I don't know... my sister is still hooked on General Hospital ... I guess Bobbie the nurse is still there?  I think that would be the only person last standing from the olden days I would recognize :laugh:

Yes she is still there and Laura is still there but no Luke.

57 minutes ago, SoulSurvivor said:

what ever became of Luke?

I don't know I think last I remember he was some mafia boss and ended up leaving town.  The truth is the actor has come back and left again many times because according to the actor he doesn't like working.

We watched Call of the Wild last night. Yep, the Jack London story. This is the newer version with Harrison Ford and lots of CGI. I'm sure Jack London would either be impressed with what they did with the CGI to show the dogs character, and antics, or sadly amused by how the story went away from his original meaning. Good 90 minute distraction.

Murdoch Mysteries - Murdoch and the Undetectable Man

Murdoch enlists inventor Nikola Tesla to help with the M***** investigation of a man experimenting with invisibility.

The M***** victim Julius Bosworth was an inventor who had been corresponding with Nikola Tesla on his methods and theory. He had written that he was close to success and wanted Tesla to share in it. But when Tesla arrived, Bosworth is found dead and some of his equipment has been removed from his laboratory. Mr. Bosworth was working on a device to render objects invisible.

Murdoch and Tesla invent tele-vision

Nikola Tesla: Everyone in the world could have tele-vision.

Detective William Murdoch: I think it's best not. The weak minded would waste half of their lives observing it :laugh: