psycholuigiman

Race and Politics

The internet is more exhausting and infuriating than ever to me recently. Maybe it's only because I recently tried looking for other things to watch and read on the internet, but all of my most hated aspects of the internet are now totally unavoidable unless you dig into the distant past or watch stuff from the Asian countries. Everything is all about race and politics now. How many white people are on the show? How many men are on the show? How many colored people are on? How many women? How many trans? How many bi? I'm exhausted from it every day, but what am I to do? Not much for a legally blind 20-something year old to do out here. Especially if he doesn't drink alcohol. I don't want to spend all my days watching anime and playing games. I want to stay in touch with the issues of the world so I can hopefully make an informed decision about voting. But. . . so few people are actually talking about the issues unless they can use them to bludgeon their political opposites with them. Case in point, recent concerns about the safety and sanitation of the facilities at our southern border. Now, I live in a bordering state. I already know the situation has been getting worse and worse since before 2008. Nobody seemed to care until this year, and if you point that fact out, you're a racist. Everyone is reaching for that moral high ground, calling everyone who isn't with them a retard or a nazi. And God how I hate both of those words now. I'm just so tired of all the race baiting and the political agendas. I'm tired of being thought less of because I'm a white, Christian, straight, male from the south, and yet somehow I'm the racist pig. I'm tired of being called overly sensitive for daring to disagree with somebody, as though I'm arguing out of hurt feelings and emotion. . . by people who view the simple act of disagreeing as an insult or an act of violence to them personally, and respond in kind with insults.

I've been told that bad things happen when good and sensible people stay quiet for too long. Well, I'm convinced that bad things happen regardless, because everyone seems to think they have the answer to all of the world's problems and don't need to hear out other solutions or opinions. So I think I'll just retreat to anime and games like so many people think I already have, go into isolation until everyone gets the politics and race baiting out of their system, and shut up. Because right now, I'm the five things that half the country hates right now, White, Christian, straight, male, and from the South. I stand no chance in the new real world. They'll put me through diversity training over and over again as soon as I look at the wrong person the wrong way. Every dollar I earn, every nice thing I acquire will be seen as something stolen or not deserved. I don't even know if I'm being overly dramatic now. God help me if I ever have to move to a big city.

Look, I hate feeling like this. But I don't know where else I can go to vent it out. Nobody takes my fears and doubts and unwanted guilt over parts of me that are beyond my control seriously (which is rare for me since my friends and family are usually so supportive). And I just feel trapped by the constant obsession with race and politics I see these days. I just want to spend all day in bed, watching anime, or playing video games now because frankly, I'm no longer certain I'll be able to handle psychology training or any part of the new real world if the first thing about me that matters is what I look like and how I vote, instead of how much I care or want to help or improve myself in any given situation. I mean, I DON'T want to do that. . . but I do if it means living in peace, but I want to be strong and not shy away from this. It's complicated for me somehow and it never used to be.

I can relate to this post. That's why I've come to essentially avoid politics now. With that though, people call you ignorant. "Don't you care about what's happening? What about your kids and future grandchildren? How can you not be passionate/have a position about X?" And so on and so on.

Posted (edited)

Politicians are good at telling us what we need to hear when we need to hear it.  They don't actually believe in anything.  They say and do what they have to say and do to get elected by the people and then they do whatever big business tells them to do.  Do I care what's happening?  Sure but we'll never be told the truth in the news about what's going on anyway so I'm out.

Edited by sober4life

I am not a fan of politics.  I had flirted with the idea of running for office a time or two.  But it is much too nasty these days, 

I generally do not care of about race or politics.  I would rather not stomp on someone's rights or fun time.  But I know there are evils of necessity at times. 

Thanks everyone. I ended up just taking a couple days to ignore everything and it was pretty nice. I hate to say it, but ignorance really is bliss. But then again, I'm not really that ignorant. I hate being wrong or incorrect more than is healthy for me. I research and make sure whatever or whoever I got my sources from can be trusted. I don't always get it right of course, but it's more than even some of my friends can say. Sharing my side or view on things though isn't really welcome nowadays thanks to my political affiliation. Seems the only place I can talk about it is in echo chambers and that really sucks.

I don't know where I was going with this, but no matter where it was, I owe you guys a lot for just letting me post all of that without negative consequences. I feel like my relationship with politics is just too complicated for me sometimes. On the one hand, I love the exchanging of ideas. On the other, I hate all the moral grand-standing and virtue signalling that comes with the territory. On the one hand, it drives me crazy to see so many people talking so big and never actually giving a damn or planning to help in the ways they claim they would. On the other, it terrifies me to think what would happen if some of the loudest people actually followed through with their ideas and I thank God they aren't able to follow through. I'd go on, but y'all get the idea. I wish I could make a place or a group that cultivates the aspects of politics that I enjoy. I'm not apposed to learning after all. Heck, I'm not even apposed to picking a side in an argument, just not a political party that I'd always die and argue for. But I've rambled on long enough. Thank you all again. Your support, however small or insignificant you might think it is, is greatly appreciated.

Is the world more polarized and decisive?  It's always been to some degree.  Does the internet make that more obvious? yes. People have always been like this. Anonymity just lets people say what they think without fear, especially when the words are outside of the social norm.  For some of us (like us here who are outside certain norms) a tool like this forum is constructive.  But, there are many more examples to the obvious.

"Everyone is reaching for that moral high ground, calling everyone who isn't with them a ..."   Generalizations are general.  And, treating others on a generalization, well, isn't that racism or the basis for other discrimination?   I have not called 'the opposition' such names.  I may find patterns between their behavior and the stereotypical actions of those groups...  But I want to treat every individual as an individual and hear what they want to say.  ESPECIALLY if they have a different background/experience/perception than those I hold.  I want to learn.

So yes, I enjoy "debate" on sensitive issues.  Debate, true debate, starts with a random assignment of picking the side.  What is the old saying? "If you can't debate both sides of an issue, maybe you should not talk about it"  Shame more people are focused on "feeling right" about something than empathizing with the other side of the issue, learning more, trying to find a middle ground.

"Because right now, I'm the five things that half the country hates right now, White, Christian, straight, male, and from the South."  I think 'hate' is overly strong. (I am a white straight male, 'christian' would be the best description there yea, and also from a border state, sure, different border)  I do not feel "hated".  I would hope that I am judged on my actions, words and decisions.  I know that there will always be some that do not look at the individual.  But in my area, I do not see the same hate for any of those categorizations.  Maybe that is just my bubble. 

You sound like you take the issues seriously and research different sources.  That's great.  But should we expect others to act rationally? Never in our past has 100% of society acted rationally.  Why start now?

Taking a break from charged decisive issues is a good idea when it becomes too much.  We all need breaks occasionally. But don't let your generalizations get you down too much.  It is a big world out there.  And these things tend to operate in cycles.  Nothing is ever perfect and for needed change to occur in this world the pendulum swings back and forth, many times before finding the new middle ground.

Thank you very much, mmoose. You make a lot of good points. Points I already knew, but forgot in my anxious ranting. So, thank you for reminding me. I guess I get so swallowed up by the hate I see around me that I start to think it's directed at me in particular. Yeah, it's true I see a lot of people who would openly say the world would be better off without my kind, but nobody I actually care about has ever said anything that comes anywhere close to that. Or maybe I just get so stressed out being told by the general population that I should feel guilty for even existing and I crack under all of it even though my days of being an obnoxious little scamp are behind me back in Junior High. In any case, you're right, I shouldn't generalize. It's entirely possible people care more than they appear to. Even if I don't play the name-calling game, I'm not being very productive in assuming whoever I'm talking to is only there to throw shade at a person they don't like under the guise of actually caring about the issue.

Still, I feel like "hated" is a pretty apt descriptor a lot of the time. I had a twitter account for all of 10 months at one time. Then the Black Panther movie came out and a lot of people said how they really feel about my kind with the #CancelWhitePeople showing up soon after and trending. I remember in that moment thinking there were a handful of crazy people on the platform, just like anywhere else, but when nothing was really done about all the threats of violence, a clear violation of the ToS, I guess that's how it all started for me. I began to feel like even if nobody was actually saying they'd come after me and my family for the color of out skin or our beliefs, they were either thinking it, or would just sit back and let it happen. Of course, getting the heck off of Twitter really helped out in the long run, but I guess thoughts like that will always come creeping back into my head anytime I try to get updated on current events. You know, because no matter what time we're in, the ones about race and politics will usually make the headlines right after the ones about death. Doubly so if it's a death caused by racism or political stuff.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the support. I still worry a lot about what I'll do and how I'll get by as a psychologist in this new real world that seems to expect me to lie about my beliefs. I already had to take a short course on sexual harassment where I was told men are bad and will hurt women and I should feel bad and always believe everything a woman tells me under all circumstances. That left such a bad taste in my mouth. It'll be a while before I build up a tolerance to being spoon fed that kind of stuff, but like mmoose so eloquently said,

3 hours ago, mmoose said:

. . .Never in our past has 100% of society acted rationally.  Why start now?