Sign in to follow this  
lostsoul65

No Sweets in my house

Of course I suffer from BAD Depression and I can't cook for myself so I eat TV dinners. If I buy cookies, candy, and any sweets I will eat all of them or until I get sick because of my depression. I have tried to bring home some sweets thinking I can just eat a bit or two after a meal but as soon as my depression acts up I eat all the sweets and I don't know how to control myself?

If there never has been a way to control ourselves with sweets there never will be.  Sure our mind says oh you can have just a little bit you deserve it or whatever.  There is no little bit and our mind knows that when it tells us that.  There is everything or nothing so we might as well not get any sweets and not start because once we start our mind decides when things stop.

Posted (edited)

Sweets are hard but I have gotten better over the years with working at eating healthy. Once that I got the sugar out of my system, I didn't crave it that much. It's addictive, I think. I do treat myself to one large square of extra dark chocolate on the weekends and that helps too.

BW

Edited by BeyondWeary

Yeah I eat a bowl of cereal every day before bed and it helps me sleep but other than that I try to eat well.  I always used to have snacks and sweets in the house.  I had 2 dresser drawers full of snacks.  I stopped eating bread and that's how things began to get better.  When I stopped getting a loaf of bread when I got groceries little by little I started getting better overall.  The bread was the fire starter for me.

3 minutes ago, sober4life said:

Yeah I eat a bowl of cereal every day before bed and it helps me sleep but other than that I try to eat well.  I always used to have snacks and sweets in the house.  I had 2 dresser drawers full of snacks.  I stopped eating bread and that's how things began to get better.  When I stopped getting a loaf of bread when I got groceries little by little I started getting better overall.  The bread was the fire starter for me.

I hear you on the bread.  Especially the good stuff. 

I'm the same way. I have bad impulse control when it comes to sweets. Some people like are just hardwired to be "all or nothing" when it comes to certain things. Case in point: I've been eating bagels again, and my husband brought me two yesterday. I ate both bagels yesterday because I was up all night and I couldn't help myself. At some point I just said "Screw it" and stopped trying to fight it. Maybe it wouldn't have been a big deal if I hadn't eaten other carbs and lots of fruit--and I'm trying to lose weight--but I really went overboard "yesterday" (I'm counting this morning as part of yesterday because I hadn't gone to bed yet). 

The only thing I personally can do is these circumstances is try to balance it out by eating less and making more healthy choices today. But my husband already called and said he was going to order us pizza cause there's a special. LOL So maybe tomorrow I can be better. 

There's this thing they sell that is basically a safe for food with a timed lock, and some people think it's dumb but I really, really could use it if it wasn't so overpriced! It would be the ideal thing for me to put my junk food in there, and then just have a small piece everyday and then lock it back up. Maybe I'll get one one day.

16 hours ago, evalynn said:

I'm the same way. I have bad impulse control when it comes to sweets. Some people like are just hardwired to be "all or nothing" when it comes to certain things. Case in point: I've been eating bagels again, and my husband brought me two yesterday. I ate both bagels yesterday because I was up all night and I couldn't help myself. At some point I just said "Screw it" and stopped trying to fight it. Maybe it wouldn't have been a big deal if I hadn't eaten other carbs and lots of fruit--and I'm trying to lose weight--but I really went overboard "yesterday" (I'm counting this morning as part of yesterday because I hadn't gone to bed yet). 

The only thing I personally can do is these circumstances is try to balance it out by eating less and making more healthy choices today. But my husband already called and said he was going to order us pizza cause there's a special. LOL So maybe tomorrow I can be better. 

There's this thing they sell that is basically a safe for food with a timed lock, and some people think it's dumb but I really, really could use it if it wasn't so overpriced! It would be the ideal thing for me to put my junk food in there, and then just have a small piece everyday and then lock it back up. Maybe I'll get one one day.

Self control takes practice and you can only have so much of it.  And the longer you have been going your decision making capacities decrease.

Yes self control is hard but don't just sit miserable and white knuckle your way through it.  Get up and do anything else to quiet your mind.  Eventually our minds give up and move onto something else when it realizes it's not going to get it's way.

Posted (edited)

That's true. I tend to get tunnel vision and obsess on one thing, but as soon as I can shift my focus to something else, I forget about it. It's usually when I'm tired and achy or in a terrible mood that I give in too easily to instant gratification. But I can get back self control when I put some effort into it. 

Edited by evalynn

17 hours ago, sober4life said:

Yes self control is hard but don't just sit miserable and white knuckle your way through it.  Get up and do anything else to quiet your mind.  Eventually our minds give up and move onto something else when it realizes it's not going to get it's way.

That works for me, "Urge-surfing". But I can rarely do it by sitting on the sofa with a minor distraction like TV if there's a tasty treat just a few steps away, waiting to be devoured. I need to either get out of the house or get into an activity which will occupy both my mind and body. Then I can surf the urge until, like any mood, it leaves. And it does leave in less actual time than it feels like. 

When in an awful depressive episode, I just want to fill that unbearable hole in any way. Food would give me the feeling of being physically full even as I felt so hollow and empty inside. It wasn't that I didn't understand how a binge wasn't going to fix me, I got that it was problem behavior. But it was the only way I knew how to soothe. Taking that away without replacing it with something else just left another hole. 

I hope you find something to take the place of snacking @lostsoul65 and I also wish you some relief from the severe depression symptoms. Be kind to yourself. You're doing the best you can with what you know.