WhyAreWeHere

Amazing how social media really is toxic.

I've managed to stay away from my the main 3 for quite awhile.

Just recently I went back to twitter and thought, "ehh, I'll just for my movie and animals, nothing more".

Then you can't help but getting sucked into the vortex of vitriol and negativity, politics.

It seems like everyone has gone mad and with good reason(s) of their own.

I am staying the hell away from all that insanity.  I miss the 90s, no internet, no nothing, things really more simple, a much better vibe and the music was nowhere near as dark and negative as it is today.

I wish I could say I feel sorry for the future generations, but I don't.  They have to know it's bad and if they don't, well, no one else to blame but the parents.

I'm only 40, but the world in 30-40 years from now is going to be a really scary (more polarized?) place

Just now, Evergreenforst4 said:

Is this forum considered social media? I think it depends on the people who use it.

Forums like this are the original type of social media.  Along with the Internet, Usenet newsgroups were the first forums, they still exist, I think.  There are differences between this and Facbook and Twitter.  It's usually not face-to-face time here as it can be more immediate , like a chatroom, on FBook and Twitter.  Here you can even edit your message if you feel like you've said something you didn't mean.  And, as you say, it depends on the people who are here, or there.  Mean people tend to congregate where there are lots of people, and controversial subjects.   If you want to see mean forums, just look at a few of the frequently used Reddit topics.  People try to be decent here.  It's to help, a throwback to how the Internet started out. 

People pretend to live the good life on social media, however, we all know that most of them do it as an act..to show off to people...everyone has their problems. don't be fooled by what you see on the screen.

When i was younger, and it first came out I admit i thought it was cool, now for a while I've stopped looking at it, and i feel much better. No one knows behind those perfect couple pictures, perfect job/school, etc...life story that people tell what really goes on. Certain friends and family I have used to post all these amazing things "oh look where we went on vacation" or "look at the expensive restaurant we went" and then private message me about their problems in their relationships, etc...go figure..

I think the only good thing that I like about it is the ability I have to connect with old friends, co-workers, and relatives that live far away from me, (like in other states, etc) other than that, it's seem silly to me to post my life story on there, my every single move, but to each his own...it's the "way" and even famous people do it too, they post pictures of their families, vacations, kids, etc..

I guess  i am way behind or boring ...

It depends, to me, on how I use it.  Not a big Twitter or IG fan, but FB has worked well for me.  Helps me keep in touch with friends and acquaintances, particularly those who share my interests.  But when someone starts going off daily about political or social issues - though we may share interests - I quit following them/their feeds.

When I used to do it many years ago I was too much of a wimp to delete someone as a friend or deny a friend request so it turned into the same garbage with the same toxic people on there as in real life.  It wasn't an escape or a happy place.  It was just more hell.  I'm stronger now but I refuse to go back.

On 8/18/2019 at 2:22 PM, MarkintheDark said:

It depends, to me, on how I use it.  Not a big Twitter or IG fan, but FB has worked well for me.  Helps me keep in touch with friends and acquaintances, particularly those who share my interests.  But when someone starts going off daily about political or social issues - though we may share interests - I quit following them/their feeds.

yes thats the only good thing about it that you can keep in touch with people especially those who live far away

I think Facebook is a good for keeping up with family and friends far away..  Fun to catch up with High School friends. But I've found it kind of toxic and competitive.  Some of my friends are only concerned on how many friends and followers they have.  Others seem to get very argumentative.   I decided to go off Social Media because I wasn't using it much, and I got tired of sometimes getting caught up in political discussions.