You're a hermit

You're flawed

There's something wrong with you 

You can't manage on your own 

I do everything for you

Yeah get away from her for sure.

1 hour ago, Nightjar said:

Thankyou :hearts:

My gosh @Nightjar.  I thought that my mom could be a bitch.  Her behavior has improved over the last few years though.  I hope that you are in a better place and can set boundaries.

"I am sick of your defiance!"

My mother told me that teachers had to pay someone to take their classes if they wanted to take a day off.

I believe that I had just posited the argument that I needed a day off from school - and if teachers could take a day off - I could.

I was kind of a pain.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the every popular: "Don't sit too close to the TV, or it'll ruin your eyes." I'm sure I've heard that a time or two.

And courtesy of my father:

"You're as slow as Christmas", or "You're as slow as molasses". Also, "It's like talking to a wall!" and "You're as crazy as your mother!"

He also used to tell me I was going to ruin my eyes by reading in the dark/by the light of the TV or nightlight, but...I'm not the daughter who has to wear glasses...yet.

8 hours ago, evalynn said:

"If you stand in front of the microwave, it'll give you cancer."

"If you microwave styrofoam, it'll give you cancer."

Probably other things involving cancer...

Why would anyone put styrofoam in the microwave?  It's probably true because you aren't supposed to burn styrofoam.  It has a toxic chemical in it.

"Time to get up!" was the worst thing said to me growing up. The manner in which it was said... "Tiiiime to get up!!!"; no, time to shut up and let me sleep. 😄

My mother was very superstitious and taught me many pieces of wisdom, here is a few you may have heard of:
"If you find a penny and it is on heads, it is good luck. If it is on tails; don't pick it up, it is bad luck."
"My ears are ringing. Someone must be talking about me."
"If your palm is itching, that means you are coming into money."

5 hours ago, sober4life said:

Why would anyone put styrofoam in the microwave?  It's probably true because you aren't supposed to burn styrofoam.  It has a toxic chemical in it.

I've always put styrofoam in the microwave, though I have heard about "burning" it releases toxins.  I've mostly put it in to reheat Chinese food. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, evalynn said:

"If you stand in front of the microwave, it'll give you cancer."

"If you microwave styrofoam, it'll give you cancer."

Probably other things involving cancer...

My worst remembrance was a year scientists announced that if you eat enough cranberry sauce, it'll cause cancer.  You had to eat a whole bunch; more than a person would ever eat.  Anyway, mom said, no cranberry sauce with the turkey, mashed potatoes, and dressing for Thanksgiving.  I don't especially like turkey anyway, but the dressing was nothing without cranberry sauce for me.  I kept telling ma that you had to eat pounds of cranberry sauce, according to the same reports.  But she wouldn't give in.  I'm glad she  isn't raising me today, with everything from Michael Douglas' wife, to cranberry sauce now listed as carcinogenic. 

Edited by Bulgakov
editing never ends

9 hours ago, sober4life said:

In college, you end up eating a lot of those Cup O' Noodles that come in styrofoam, and because you don't have access to a burner for a kettle in the dorms (I suppose now you can use an electronic kettle), you end up microwaving them. I think they even provide microwave instructions on the back of the styrofoam cup...which is messed up if styrofoam is toxic. But big business, is it really surprising? 🤷🏽‍♀️

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ItsNeverEnough said:

My mother was very superstitious and taught me many pieces of wisdom, here is a few you may have heard of:
"If you find a penny and it is on heads, it is good luck. If it is on tails; don't pick it up, it is bad luck."
"My ears are ringing. Someone must be talking about me."
"If your palm is itching, that means you are coming into money."

Now you're reminding me of my grandma. She was very superstitious. She believed in the palm itch=money too and ear ringing too. Also:

• If you dream of fish, someone is pregnant.
  • If a bird flies in the house, someone is going to die soon.
  • If a bird gets a strand of your hair, they can give you headaches.
  • Always knock on wood to prevent bad things happening (this is the one that stuck with me and I still do it).

I think there are more, but I can't remember them at the moment...

Edited by evalynn

Posted (edited)

I saw birds flying in the house yesterday.  Sadly I'm not joking.  There really were birds flying around in here because I'm losing it completely.

Edited by sober4life

8 minutes ago, sober4life said:

I saw birds flying in the house yesterday.  Sadly I'm not joking.  There really were birds flying around in here because I'm losing it completely.

Don't put too much stock into it. A bird flew into our middle school cafeteria more than once and no kid ever died.