Herntreez

Curing Depression by brain training

Posted (edited)

Hi Friends,

I am living in Toronto. Last year, when I and my friend was going to a theatre, our car was hit by a bus. In that accident, I lost my friend. I got escaped with not so serious injuries. He was not just my friend, he was like a brother to me. His parents were angry with me. Because it was me who forced him to join me for watching the film. I became very sad. I was feeling numb.

I am a depressed soul. There were no nights without crying. I haven't slept peacefully even a day. Seeing my condition, one of my relatives suggested me to approach for neurofeedback therapy. I don't know about this treatment.

If anybody has any experience, please share your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!

Edited by Natasha1
Website link deleted

Welcome new friend to our forum family.

I can definitely relate to your situation.

My experience  reveals the metaphorical nature of depression.

To me depression is a natural formation/resource.

I invoke a cave metaphor to strategize a way out of depression.

If you're interested I can go into more detail.

Make yourself at home on our awesome forum and check out some other posts for meaningful support and insights.

Oscar

Herntreez:

You are going through alot.  And I'm so sorry you are experiencing soul deep depression.  Of course, the tragedy was not, not, not your fault.  Awful things happen in this life.  They just happen.  

Please make your own decision, but I'd be hesitant about a neurofeedback approach to depression.  I'm not sure that it is evidence based.  I'd encourage you to find a licensed therapist and psychiatrist trained in treating depression and post traumatic stress disorder.  

I wonder if Toronto has a local Canadian Mental Health Association that could assist you in finding the best match of care. 

Tim 

I, too, welcome you to DF! I agree with what has been said already. It is terrible that you have to go through this. I hope you find the help you need. We are here to support you. So keep reading and posting.

BW

On 8/14/2019 at 6:33 AM, Herntreez said:

am a depressed soul. There were no nights without crying. I haven't slept peacefully even a day. Seeing my condition, one of my relatives suggested me to approach for neurofeedback therapy. I don't know about this treatment.

I have done the neurofeedback therapy. I did not find it helpful for the depression but it did help reduce the anxiety. The therapist said there are several protocols and I could try a different one. But for me, I prefer to talk to the therapist and find that talking to her holds me more accountable.  Each person is different and the therapist I see has had others who neurofeedback helped a lot. Its not painful, I actually got a very good 10 minute nap out of it.  All I can said if you want to try it, go ahead.