Windsurfer1992

Mental Illness and Coping at Work

Hi everyone. I'm about to be employed at my first full-time job and was wondering what are some ways you guys cope with day-to-day work, discrimination if it is an issue, work/life balance, stress, and more. I have Severe Major Depressive Disorder with Psychotic Features, ADHD Predominantly Inattentive, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder and wondering how to best deal with these disorders while employed. Thank you.

I do some meditation after I get home from work and that helps me unwind. I also take small breaks throughout the day and step outside for a minute or go in the back area and take some deep breaths. Also getting out of the office for lunch really helps. For me, it also helps to say some short prayers or phrases to myself that help me stay focused. Sometimes I close my eyes and check in with myself and acknowledge how I'm feeling. All these help me get through the work day.

BW

I work with children so I can't leave the room, unless someone is  available to watch the room. So what I do is take several deep breaths, inhale deeply and exhale slowly. If someone is available, then I walk to the bathroom at the front of the building. And lots of prayer that the weather is nice and we can go outside, so I can get some fresh air and sunshine. 😀

I try to inventory myself when I rise each day. What are my vulnerabilities? Did I not get enough sleep? How are my symptoms today, my mood? Is there anything that happened yesterday I need to let go of? What am l worrying about ahead of my day? Do I need to do some small things to take extra good care of myself?

Also, what have I got going on that is good, that I can call to mind in service of balancing my mindset against the demands and confusion of the workplace? What can I give myself credit for, starting with getting out of bed and self-cares? What's a nice thing someone wrote or said to me?