Windsurfer1992

Hello Depression Forums. I'm a Newbie.

Hi All,

I am a new member looking to contribute my advice and understanding of life issues as far as depression, anxiety, ADHD/ADD and mental illness in general. I'm also looking to learn from others here as far as a path to wellness and healing. I was diagnosed at the age of 21 with Severe Major Depressive Disorder with Psychotic Features, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - Predominantly Inattentive Type. I am currently taking Latuda 160 mg, Lamictal 25 mg --> 50 mg, Tenex 2 mg, and Celexa 10 mg. I hope to become an active part of this community as I continue ongoing treatment. 

Hi @Windsurfer1992 and welcome!

I share some of the same disorders (MDD, ADHD, Aniexty). I would love to get your thoughts and advice.
I haven't been on any medications solely dedicated to ADHD since I was child. All the prescriptions I've had as an adult focus on the other two disorders.
Have you ever been able to overcome/minimize ADHD in regards to focus/brain scatter? 

Part of me wants to believe all the problems stem from ADHD. Mental wandering and/or lack of stimulation appears to lead me into depressive thoughts.

Posted (edited)

@ItsNeverEnough

For me I am not quite sure if my ADHD predominates or my depression or anxiety but I'm sure it's my depression that predominates so my medication focus is on the depression. Usually the anxiety disorder and ADHD are treated before the depression, especially if the depression is more on the severe side. 

Without the medication I have not been able to minimize ADHD symptoms, but I believe my medication combination have been able to treat my ADHD symptoms from multiple angles both on-label with the Intuniv and off-label with the Lamictal with my co-morbid unipolar or possible bipolar depression (did not mention bipolar disorder as a diagnosis but I may have bipolar disorder because of a recent diagnosis of Mood Disorder NOS from my latest psychiatrist). I'm also trying exercise, diet/nutrition changes, lifestyle changes, education, therapy, and sleep to help minimize ADHD symptoms. Would you consider your MDD more on the mild side? Or moderate or severe? This may help with understanding whether the ADHD predominates over the rest of your mental illness diagnoses.

At everyone else who has responded or may respond thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to posting and participating in discussions.

Edited by Windsurfer1992

15 hours ago, Windsurfer1992 said:

@ItsNeverEnough

Would you consider your MDD more on the mild side? Or moderate or severe? This may help with understanding whether the ADHD predominates over the rest of your mental illness diagnoses.

Suicidal thoughts are typically squashed because of my children, so I'd say moderate. I am starting my 4th anti-depressant. I'm optimistic thanks to support from family.

Welcome windsurfer.  This is a good place to land.  So much support to find here.  It is always amazing to me to realize that there are others out there that do understand what we are going through. You will find support here.  

I am new to forums in general. I have major depression, anxiety and ptsd. My counselor want me to see a holistic psychiatrist because I take ambien to sleep and Xanax at times. I am worried that I don’t sleep and can 38-45 hours without sleep if I don’t take an ambien . I ve tried all other sleep meds with hangover or bad side effects. Scared of holistic therapy route. I have been on ambien for 3 years since ptsd event and lose of my family. I can’t seem to grieve. Any advice