Sign in to follow this  
Sentinel2

Depression and a new job

Hello, 

I finished college, now it is time to look for a job. 

I applied for a simple job. They replied me with an offer for a harder better paid job. I studied for this harder job and was happy of their reply. They gave me a simple task i have to perform to prove i am capable of this job. And here comes the depression and anxiety. I simply gave up on this task because i got so depressed and anxious, i simply didnt feel i am up for it. 

The reason this is so hard for me is that on 1 hand i would love to do this harder better paid job, if nothing else because i studied for it. But the reality is, right now i am just not capable of it. Every simple obstacle to me seems like life/death situation. So i thought about it rationaly and right now the best solution seems to be to just do the easier less paid job and get used to it, get used to the company, work, etc. And in time, if i get better, i can always apply for the harder better paid job. 

This is how i see it and would very much like your opinion. 

Considering what you've previously posted about your battle plan, I like this approach.  Something that is both new and challenging seems to me like your cutoff point.  So, yeah, go for the "new" and leave "challenging" on the back burner for now, imo.  Or, put another way, "new" is enuf of a challenge.

That sounds really good for your mental health. Thanks for posting this. I need to keep that in mind as I look for a new job which I am very anxious about doing. 

BW

I just wanted to let you know that i applied for the simpler less paid job and am awaiting reply. In my mind i don't really expect much but i am glad i applied. And while i am sad that i am not fit for the better paid job right now, i have to learn to live with my health problems and adjust accordingly. 

This is a great idea. Take your own time because you have just finished college and there will be several opportunities that will help you achieve the desired result. Your mental health comes first so keep up with the approach. 

Posted (edited)

Don't let it get to you at all Sentinel.  Good on you for applying, and trying.  Any successful person will tell you they've had their share of "not" successful efforts.  I've gotten jobs and not gotten jobs.  It's not uncommon to miss a job, for reasons other than your own abilities, or lack of them.  IMO, brush up and put some effort into the interview process.  I was average at interviews, and a little thought in that direction is  a big part of what gets anyone a job.  Brush your teeth, be confident, and relax; and you'll be three steps ahead of most applying for the job.   You'll do fine. 

bulga

Edited by Bulgakov
editing never ends

Keep applying for any job that interest you. Unlike Bulgakov,  I'm terrible at interviews, but I try to find out about the company I'm applying to, then ask questions during the interview about the company. Be presentable, nice, wrinkle-free clothing, be polite and sit up straight. 

Do you have someone who would be willing to help you practice interview techniques or check on you tube for videos of how to interview. And don't give up.  I've interview for more jobs than I have worked in my life.

I sent a few more applications and am awaiting their reply. I have to say i am terrified of a job, as in, will i be able to handle it, etc.