Sign in to follow this  
Devlinkyla

Why try

If you keep trying you will find out why.

Don't despair, we are always here for support.

Wall off Old Man Depression from your troubled existence.

Smile and smile a little more.

Oscar

Why try? I wish I could answer that for myself. All of us here have asked that at one time or another. Many of us still do.

I’d say there’s a different answer for everyone. And I think some of us have given up. Or have at some point. I know I’ve gone through periods when I have completely given up. It comes and goes with me.

I really don’t know what has kept me going. At times my son, other times just too comfortable with sadness and afraid to be happy, maybe sometimes there was some glimmer of hope.

I guess what it comes down to, is what matters to us at any given moment - no matter how dark that moment may be. Things like family are easy to quantify. But sometimes I would go to the used book store, thrift store, or rummage sales and just look through collections of books, CDs, or DVDs or whatever. I would always walk out with something that gave me a little enjoyment. And didn’t cost me nearly any money. And in those moments, just digging through old collections, was enough to matter for a couple hours.

That was one thing that worked for me. It was a simple and very inexpensive activity that kept my mind away from dark thoughts for a couple hours. And since I always went home with a book or CD that I enjoyed, it helped keep my mind occupied even after I got home and read or listened to music.

I know that’s more than you asked for. But there can be and there ARE moments of peace that can be had for all like us. Maybe I’ll never be completely happy. But I do enjoy those moments. Even if they are far and few between at times.

I keep trying for my own peace of mind otherwise the depression and anxiety take over and I feel even worse. Also for my family so as to not hurt them and so I have at least something to give them even if it is not a lot. Small things can make a big difference. 

BW

I have asked myself that a million times or more.

I stick around for my cats and my daughter. Without them I would probably have left this realm long ago.