Sign in to follow this  
elm

Xanax (alpralozam) question

I was wondering if anyone has ever used 1/2 a dose of alprazolam the took the other 1/2 an hour later to avoid side effects. I’m considering doing this and was wondering some feedback. 

Elm

My pdoc has me to take half to a whole pill as needed three times a day. In my experience, taking half a dose three times a day regularly, around the clock, instead of as needed is all I need, and I don't even need it all every day. If I take an as needed dose, I do take a whole one, but I'm very benzo resistant, so it takes much more Xanax to make me experience side effects. Sorry, I don't think all this answers your question... lol

I think you have a good idea there. If not, you could ask your pdoc if you can take half a tablet around the clock like two or three times a day, which might benefit your anxiety when it reaches steady state levels in your body without side effects. Not trying to tell you how to take your medicine or anything, but just thought I might make a suggestion to consider with your pdoc. 🙂 

Thanks mikl_pls. 

I was wondering because I am doing EMDR and had a hard time last week. So I was thinking of taking a 1/2 before session and then the other 1/2 after so it doesn’t mask feelings but takes the edge off of it. I don’t take it often, not even daily, but it does help when I have therapy. I’ve just started Buspar so I’m waiting for that to kick in. 

On 7/27/2019 at 2:48 PM, elm said:

Thanks mikl_pls. 

I was wondering because I am doing EMDR and had a hard time last week. So I was thinking of taking a 1/2 before session and then the other 1/2 after so it doesn’t mask feelings but takes the edge off of it. I don’t take it often, not even daily, but it does help when I have therapy. I’ve just started Buspar so I’m waiting for that to kick in. 

I don't know much at all about EMDR, but I would say it's probably okay to take Xanax before and after. If in doubt, speak with the therapist who is doing the EMDR for you or your pdoc.

Yeah, BuSpar, if it works, will take a couple to a few weeks to start working.

I feel I should interject here that NONE of us on DF are here as pharmacologists, psychiatrists or other mental health professionals, particularly when it comes to meds. 

About the best any of us can do, yes, is share our own experience.  Our responses to meds are as varied as the number of members here and our various conditions.  That being said, let me shift the focus a bit towards the professional(s) you're using. 

I've found it crucial, hard as it's been sometimes, to be absolutely honest with them about things like this.  For example, although my pdoc has me on Trazodone and Busporine, he knows I have access to Xanax from a fellow sufferer.  He knows that a half tab is my fallback when I'm having a particularly tough time.  And he respects that decision primarily because I'm completely honest with him.

Thank you both. I do know that I am just looking for others experience. 

I am prescribed 1mg 3xs a day but I only typically take a 1/2 when I need to. However with the anxiety and panic attacks I went back to therapy and it has been difficult. I’m looking for options that don’t numb me yet let me function. Last week was so tough that I was wondering if doing the meds like that would take the edge off and wondered if anyone had any experience. 

My T said it’s up to me and so does my Dr. But they aren’t in the same position I’m in. So just curiosity.