Sign in to follow this  
tomcatt

How are you doing on Remeron?

I've been on mirtazapine for four month, I'm doing quite well on it. My depression isn't completely cured, but I feel a lot better than I did. I'm taking 30 mg currently, perhaps I will go up to 45 mg next time I see the doctor, because I'm having no side effects so far (lucky me!) My only concern is the possibility of long-term side effects, so I'm not sure whether I'd like to stay on this drug for a long time. I've been reading the anti-AD horror stories on the net., and I'm scared about causing detrimental changes to my brain that are permanent.

Hey,

I'm a new member here!

Anyway, I have been on Remeron since late 2005 when I was 15. I recently dropped from 30 mg to 15 mg for a month, and I am going to try to stop taking it soon! Hopefully, all the 15 pounds that I've gained (in a span of like, 2 months?!) WILL START TO LOSE ITSELF BECAUSE I FEEL FAT.

I really do not think that the side effects are worth it. In addition to gaining weight, I have a constantly dry mouth which leads to BAD BREATH, and i'm SWEATING SO MUCH it's embarrassing. I pray that after stopping Remeron, I will be... adequately normal.

I am 16 now and in high school. It's supposed to be the "time of your life", but after gaining so much weight and having embarrassing side effects, I am totally ready to go off the Remeron since I've been on it for two long, stupid years.

By the way, has anyone ever lost weight while taking Remeron? If so, HOW? Or, after stopping Remeron, has anyone lost their weight? How quickly?

/end rant. :hearts:

Hi hello_world,

I personally didn't gain a lot of weight on Remeron alone.

I was on a combo of two AD's (Remeron, Effexor XR) and a neuroleptic - the latter caused a bit more weight gain. I've been med-free for a year now. I must say that after I came off the meds I just lost the weight I put on again over the next couple of months.

Autumn

Edited by Autumn

I ran out of samples...called the pharmacy who has my scrip on hold and found out they have no generic...It is going to cost $124 per month for 30 pills. The Lexapro is also expensive about $95. I need these but don't know how I am going to pay for them. The only refill I can afford is generic xanax which is cheap.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

MA6487 :hearts: to the Remeron room!

Liveweyerd, ouch! I was hoping you could get hold of generics :bump:

Could you look into a different, less expensive med with you doc?

Keep us posted!

Autumn

Hey,

I'm a new member here!

Anyway, I have been on Remeron since late 2005 when I was 15. I recently dropped from 30 mg to 15 mg for a month, and I am going to try to stop taking it soon! Hopefully, all the 15 pounds that I've gained (in a span of like, 2 months?!) WILL START TO LOSE ITSELF BECAUSE I FEEL FAT.

I really do not think that the side effects are worth it. In addition to gaining weight, I have a constantly dry mouth which leads to BAD BREATH, and i'm SWEATING SO MUCH it's embarrassing. I pray that after stopping Remeron, I will be... adequately normal.

I am 16 now and in high school. It's supposed to be the "time of your life", but after gaining so much weight and havin

g embarrassing side effects, I am totally ready to go off the Remeron since I've been on it for two long, stupid years.

By the way, has anyone ever lost weight while taking Remeron? If so, HOW? Or, after stopping Remeron, has anyone lost their weight? How quickly?

/end rant. :hearts:

I have been on remeron for 6 years - my weight has been pretty steady bit i work out almost every day - run and lift. My body fat is extremely low. I can see how you could gain weight but i have been on it so long it doesn't phase me. I got help with the sugar cravings by eating protein bars/supplements that have artificial sweetners. They have helped curbed my appetite too. Eat often but not a ton and try some supplements -protien drinks etc - they are healthy and help with the cravings. I'm sure my working out helps me stay thin but I'm sure even moderate amounts of excercise will help keep the weight down.

I'm actually tapering off this drug (15mg for 6yrs) and am about done - not so bad as i thought it would be (yet anyway). I hopped on here to see if anyone else had success coming off mirtazapine/remeron and what WD symptoms they've had.

Good luck with it (remeron/mirtazapine) - it was a wonder drug for me but I'm hoping i'm through. I literally did not sleep for 3.5 months trying many other meds (while climbing the walls) and remeron worked the first night - i'll never forget the feeling.

:hearts: b Man,

Thanks for sharing! Glad to see the Remeron really helped you out.

I relate to the feeling of rediscovering sleep, sort of, when first starting on Remeron.

As to withdrawal symptoms. I didn't experience any myself when I came off this med. Compared to you I was 'only' on it for 10 months to a year.

Hopefully all will go well for you! Keep us posted on how you get on, okay?!

Take care,

Autumn

Edited by Autumn

Been on mirtazapine for about a year (45mg) after being on prozac which worked then pooped out after 4 months, then duloxetine for 2 weeks (so never gave that one a chance), then mirtazapine. For me it was good for mood stabilty and sleep (along with 25mg or less quietiapine) and generally feeling well. But it was not doing much for concentration difficulties. Then tried the venlafaxine/mirtzapine combo but could not tolerate that one, gave me panic attack and anxiety which were never a problem before and that was only after being on the combo for 4/5days. Then went back to just the mirtazapine and took about 4/5 months to get over the anxiety and panic attacks and back to normal non-anxious state. Recently started a mirtazapine/reboxetine combo and started this one slowly as doc said he didn't want to have the same thing happen again (before he just told me to start on 150mg venlafaxine straight away with the mirtazapine). So i tapered down to 15mg mirtazapine over 2 weeks and then added 2mg BID reboxetine (half the usual dose) over two weeks then onto the full 4mg BID then finally back upto 45mg mirtazapine dose too. I never got any anxiety and even felt a relaxation effect with this combo. especially intially. I did try added prozac to mirtazapine before that but that made me feel more depressed and a little anxious straight away the following day and more and more so as i continued so i got off that quickly after 3/4 days and i continued to feel more depressed until the prozac left my system which was a further 2 weeks, each day feeling better as it left my system.

Back to the reboxetine combo. on the first day a felt the relaxation effect and either on the day after or on the first day i noted an improvement in concentration and motivation so it was very encoraging but alas very transient so it went away from the 2nd or 3rd day onwards. Then suddenly about ten days into the 4mg BID dose of reboxetine and 15mg mirtazapine i got a whole day in which i felt almost normal! and had some of concentration back. But this only lasted a day too and woke up the next day as before that wonderful day. So i waited a few days very disappointed as i thought this was the anti-depressant effect kicking and not some intial transient effect, then i went back upto 45mg of mirtazapine dose aswell, so far I am into this for 11 days so far and really hope that that wonderful day comes back and stays but so far not much but my doc stays you have to give every dose change (let alone any med change) at least 3 weeks to kick in! The only sides I have had are consitpation which gets better (I am taking FOS a soluble fiber supplement for this which basically cures this for me) and I would definately have had insominia if it weren't for the mirtazapine and quitiapine for sleep and dry month which i get over by keepin water nearby and chewing gum. Also reboxetine can be tough on the mood intially, some days i woke up feeling like crap with a crazy low mood upon waking which lasted for about an hour. This seemed to occur a 4 or 5 days after every dose change/increase and lasts for a few days then the mood seems to stabilize after 2 weeks before getting better for me. I even had a euphoric evening one evening 2 weeks into the 2mg dose. I really hope this works so i can get back to uni to finesh my degree. My libido also seems to be up and down on this combo aswell and feelings of irritability (I'm not usually irritable).

Blazingice,

Thanks for your story and :hearts: to the room!

Seems like you've been through a lot already. With you I hope that days returns where you felt more like yourself again!

Hang in there and keep us posted!

Autumn :bump:

I had another review yesterday, the doctor spoke of "introducing another medication", and "another type of psychological treatment" in combination with Mirtazapine, which I don't like the sound of in the slightest. I am closed to the idea of more therapy, and I haven't had a day without medication for nearly two years, sometimes I feel like a ghost, I can't help wondering how I'd feel off the medication. I think of before I was on drugs, I'm sure I was terribly unhappy...but I was feeling, I had more to lose then than I do now, now I am so detached from everything, I don't have any emotion, not fear, not anything.

((((((Waft)))))))))

I'm sorry to hear you're not doing too well...

Maybe it's not a bad idea to make a change in therapy. I'm not sure whether the meds are making you feel so detached. I thought that was my problem too. But I've been off med for over a year now and I also experience the detachment, sometimes for longer periods of time. It's more a of defense mechanism in my case.

For me the meds didn't really work (apart from being able to sleep and eat) and after trying a combo of meds at different dosages, me, my therapist and pdoc decided to focus on psychotherapy and see how I did without meds. I can always contact my pdoc if necessary though.

I think it's a good thing to evaluate your situation and see what can be done. Sometimes it's hard to hear there's going to be another change made med wise of therapy wise. You wonder where it ends... Then again, it's no use staying on a certain regimen, if it doesn't work.

Keep talking to your doc, therapist,... about how you feel. Share your concerns. I hope you can work something out together!

Meanwhile, take very good care of yourself!

Keep us posted!

Autumn

This evening I went out, tried to enjoy myself, escape myself for a while. I was left alone in the bucketing rain to voyage home by my so-called friends. It isn't that extraordinary an event, but that itself doesn't even matter, I've had enough of the people I know, enough of the gombeen's, none of them gives a D*** about me, and the truth is I don't like or care about a single one of them or their tragic little lives in any degree, I am no longer contactable to any of them. From now on, the sole occasion in the week I leave my house is to play a 45 minute game of football on Wednesday evenings, no more nights out with people I hate, no more enforced rituals and vain attempts to conjure meaning from the dust. If that is my one interaction in life, then so be it, it is preferable to empty farce such as this.

Autumn, I don't think for a minute your curiosity is contrived, you are a kind soul, rare in the world, I don

(((((Waft))))))

You deserve to receive warmth and encouragement as much as anyone here on these forums. I'm sorry the people you meet up with in real life aren't very supportive. It really just wants to make you isolate even more. I relate, 'cause it's really something I need to watch myself for doing. Whenever I feel low I tend to withdraw, which in fact makes things worse. Only, it's hard at times to find people you feel comfortable with. But they are out there! Some people really do care IRL like people do here on DF.

I'm glad you still engage in playing football on Wednesday. Do you have other interests?

When's your next appointment with the pdoc?

Oh, and what exactly was the plan as to change in psychotherapy? You are in therapy, right? Or did I get you wrong there?

Sorry for all the questions!

Take care ((((Waft))))

Autumn

Unfortunately after almost 3 weeks the 45mg mirtazapine and 8mg reboxetine combo. didn't seem to be improving the situation much so i phoned the pdoc and he suggested increasing the dose of reboxetine to 12mg and reducing the mirtazapine to 30mg during the meanwhile as i adjust to the new dose as i did have some good days and an increase of dose may do the trick. So I started this yesterday with two days on 10mg reboxetine before that to ease my way there. I'll post after another 3 weeks to tell if that has worked. It's also having weird sexual effects too, when I started the combo. especially on the 2mg dose my orgasms improved! but now it seems to be the opposite with this higher dose :-( - I hope this goes away as my mood improves on this new higher dose and I am bracing myself for the dip in mood I seem to get with every reboxetine dose increase which can be scary. I also watched the new simpsons movie yesterday and loved it but I've always been a simpsons fan:-). I also do remember the day i got depressed I literally woke up numb and empty inside with no feelings/emotions at all, felt like a stone or boulder, I knew something was terribly wrong. Before that i was having sleeping problems for a year and was slowly slipping but the weeks preceeding that day had been extremely stressful at home and that slow slip turned into a skydive into depression in one night. I only hanged around for about a few days before i got into contact with a doctor and started anti-depressants a few weeks later. My emotions returned with the anti-depressants rather then the other way around.

Blazingice,

Good luck with the change in dosages. I hope it helps you out.

Was glad to read you're able to enjoy things! :bump:

Keep us posted!

Take care,

Autumn :hearts:

Been just over a week so far and the low mood took a little longer to hit then usual with this change of dosage but its been more insidious as I usually don't believe any of the thoughts that come into my mind when I have a low mood because I know in a sense its the depression talking and not my best self but yeah this week its been hard to deal with thoughts about seeing a bleak or non-existant future and thinking nothing good will ever happen again even though I know thats not true the thoughts this time around just felt more believable and the fact that the first aniversary of my sisters death is coming soon is troubling me as I love(d) her so much, she was younger then me and still only 20 when she died of mesothelioma (cancer) and in many ways we were the only two people in my family who understood each other (I mean no one else was as similar, we shared many views, a lust and freedom for life that we couldn't see in many others and the best all encompassing humour), with two years between us (I'm 23 now) we grew up with each other and I felt that I lost a person who in many ways knew me the most. Sometimes I think if any of my dreams do come true that I will feel gutted that I won't be able to see them reflected in her smile. Her death although wasn't the reason I got depressed, no, that accolade belongs to my parents. Father was an alcoholic and mother fought all the time with him and loved to talk(shout) her head off and off load her thoughts onto us or anybody that was nearby it may have made her feel a little better but it made us feel a whole lot worse. I remember this constant burning anxiety during that time in my stomach and chest with little or no restbite, even being woken up (or rather shocked out of sleep) with tremendous arguments at times in the morning, even once at 4am. My sister and I helped each other out a lot during this time and grew very close and we even went off to the same university, luckily we were both very clever and got amazing grades (god knows how with all that going on but did I mention we were very clever :-) oh it was was 4A's btw ;-)). I remember that I was always into my studies and used it many times as a distraction but eventually the situation was increasingly distracting me from my studies. The situation with the parents is a lot better now but in a very real sense the damage has been done and I trying my hardest to get better and see the positives. I have another younger (the youngest) sister too and we are getting closer but she is quite dis-similar to me and is more la de da, into clothes and fashion then anything else, not that I'm not stylish, I am :-). Luckily I made a very good friend at uni and we had loads of fun partying whenever we could (my concentration on the mirtazapine was never any good so there was no point studying and that was also one of the cruel ironies of depression for me, that if you loved to read and study, you (or I at least) lost the concentration required for it but then again you don't need to concentrate to party :-)). Anyway that fun time came to an end and I had to drop out of uni otherwise risk getting a bad degree and I am at home now. I am trying to get a place/transfer to a good uni in london now to complete my degree and hopefully live with that friend i told you about but its a catch 22 as my concentration is still poor although better on the reboxetine combo and there may be an entrance exam soon but this combo might work soon for my concentration/motivation but by the time it does the exam/interview will be very close leaving me little time to prepare and I might do badly on the exam negating the reason I started this combo.

Edited by Blazingice

Blazingice,

That's a lot going on for you there! I'm sorry the change in meds is rather hard on you.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Blazingice. You speak of your sister in such a loving way. How courageous of you to share! This time of year must be very hard on you. You must miss her a lot since you two had such a good bond and obviously went through a whole lot together.

I was also sorry to read about your home life. I relate to it a lot and could only wish to undo the harm.

With all that on your plate, and not being able to concentrate, studying can be a real struggle. I've been there as well...

I really hope things improve for you. You deserve it!

I hope you're not to being to hard on yourself. I'm sure you're doing the best you can. Try and give yourself the time to heal, get better.

Take good care of yourself!

Love,

Autumn :hearts:

About 11/12 days into the new dose change and starting to feel better moodwise, happier even a little euphoric at night this evening when listening to some of my favorite songs during the evening and the orgasm issue seems to be a lot better too (so for me it looks like its very closely related to my mood on the reboxetine). Also I went out with some friends last night but drank a bit too much (about 6 pints and two shots of something) and woke up with a horrible hangover this morning which lasted till 8pm. I'm never gonna drink again :-). But its been a long while since I've drank much at all. I need to have a good sleep to feel normal again. Goodnight all xxx.

You mentioned that you had trouble concentrating too, which AD finally helped you? If this reboxetine doesn't work I might try zyban with low dose mirtazapine for sleep or add lexpro or zyban and lexpro.

Yeah I still do use the diary sometimes, mostly as an emotional buffer. In saying that I mean whenever something happens that I know will provoke a strong emotional response in me I try to get pen to paper very quickly and just "splurge" out ALL my thoughts about it and surrounding it as far as possible until I can't think of any more or rather have no more thoughts left in my mind. This usually lasts for a good 2 or 3 pages (both sides) and its amazing how much things you can associate to a emotional event without realising. This stops me ruminating and worrying about the event too much and usually you are left with just a lessened feeling that dissapates much more quickly then usual so in this way it acts as a buffer that stops the "worry cycle" or "emotional thinking rollercoaster" before it has a chance to form.

The important thing is that you don't try to correct anything whilst writing, be quick or messy if needed to keep up with the flow of thought. Do this multple times a day if needed, especially before bed and just let go and goto sleep and you'll find hopefully you forget it and do not carry it over to the next day. Also if you have to do it mutlple times, the first time is always honest and serious, the second time if needed, be funny with it and try to make humour out of it which is much easier to do the second time around as you will find the severity of your feelings much lessened. Never re-read these thoughts (unless in the far distant future if you want), they are garbage to be kept somewhere safe :-). (Don't throw them away as you might feel compelled to remember but keep them somewhere not to be readen again; like old school books, out of mind but "recorded" at least somewhere). Well maybe the funny ones.

I think I thought of this idea myself after reading somewhere that anything that creates an emotional response, your brain needs to have an action done about it in the real world to finesh off the emotional cycle and move on otherwise you create stress and dream excessively (your brain creating a fastasy "real" response for itself) and this is depressive or depression causing in the long run. Writing is a real action that can be satisfying in this way because it is a creative response/action in the real world.

I can't remember the technical term buts its basically an adjunct to the flight or fight process, that if you can do neither you activate behavior modification circuits that act to supress your behaviors to conform (act passively to some dominant other or dominant situation) to aviod future harm. Long term activation of this circuit I think is believed to create depression by causing forced supression of behavior and stress. Which if you think about it, depression (to an observer) is basically normal behavior severely supressed.

In this way you can understand why whole groups of people can be enslaved or why people conform to unhappy stereotypes against their will (unhappy housewifes, unhappy laborers). They are litterally forced into some level of depression and then are apathetic to fight back by constant societial or family pressures to be obeidient or just to survive everyday without the constant struggle.

(which is maybe why some people always have arguments all the time over "nothing" = an immediate action in response to quell themselve, a defense mechanism that may turn out to be healthly after all! my little sister does this and can appear to be only concerned for her self and ignoar others without any respect of their feelings at all but I know its a defense mechnism, she has explained as much herself and luckily she hasn't got depressed so I can learn from her!)

Also I haven't been to therapy and but I've created useful defense mechanisms myself (can be totally self-concerned without even thinking of others when i need to be, I learnt that one from my little sis! ) I thought about it but there are big waiting lists in my area. Also try to have fun with being f#*k-ed up, lol, I mean dysfunctional, many of us are. I am a lot more in tune with emotional things and can read people so well as a result through my experiences because at some point I've probably have had that same messed up feeling and laughed about it later. My little sister and I and my good friends or cousins take the p*ss and joke about very serious things are laugh about how insanly f*#k-ed up life can be and it really helps, laugh or cry.

What i need is something to let me concentrate and be motivated enough to progress and get on with my life and I am unsure therpary or any of my elaborate thinking can help that, at least not with the hardcore concentration needed to study maths. But talking like this can really help with mood and build needed defense mechanisms or behaviors to cope with the future and past, try to let go of the past in these ways and try to cope with the future as best you can with what I've shared.

P.S. Music helps, really get into loving it and make listening to it some kind of achivement until you become an expert on it or something or some other hobby. I saw your guiter pic/avtar do you like rock/metal? I love it, Coheed and Cambria, deftones, tool, alexisonfire, 65 days of static are my favorite bands not exactly metal but nu-metal or prog. rock but I like all sorts of music too like K-Os (hip-hop) and chromeo are a good. Buy a pair of really really good headphones, I have beyerdynamic DT880, they make all the differance.

Edited by Blazingice

Started on 15Mg for a few weeks, then up to 30Mg.

Worked great for a few months. Had initial side effects of drowsiness, and dry throat but that went away. Although have experienced some weight gain.

Not working so well now, so time to discuss a higher dose I think.

i'm an impatient person, and i know that's not a good thing,

it's only my 2nd day on zispin and it's annoying the hell out of me...

i'm normally quite energetic, and before i started i thought i'd counter the weight gain side effect with exercise,

but i can't even find the energy to simply walk, even typing on the keyboard now feel like too much work.

slept for 16 hours yesterday and still felt sleepy after i got up, 9 today but i had to really try to drag myself out of bed.

sorry if i'm being negative, i know i gotta give it time and all.

sorry.