tomcatt

How are you doing on Remeron?

Not to worry Z! you will do just fine. Everyone reacts very differently to these. My first 3 or 4 mornings, i was in a total coma. Very messed up. Im now about 3,5 week into taking 15mg. I started with 7,5mg and did that for about 9 days before going to 15mg. My sleeping is getting more stable now. The first few days the sleeping was a bit on and off and waking up with a very confused state. This will pass. After my time on this so far I am still quite tired. Have wanted to hit the gym but simply have not been able to. Everyone reacts differently, but for me it has made me pritty darn tired, so just taking the dogs out for a walk is a chore. I am hoping this day grogyness wares off soon. I dont know what Lexapro is, so not taking that. I was extremely thirsty in the beginning, this lasted almost a week. So drink lots! It also does make you hungry. This seems to be true. 

Starting a new dose is different for everybody of course, but I saw the unpleasant side effects go away quickly (a week or so). I have to be careful not to miss doses, and if I do, taper back up to my full dose because I could get really nauseous or faint. Started at 7.5 mg and now I'm at 45mg but no side effect really bothers me anymore. The side effects I do still have are actually kind of helpful; I had IBS/diarrhea which has lessened, I gained 40 lbs that I really needed, and I go to sleep quickly and don't have time to lie awake hating on myself at night. I'm really happy with mirtazapine and it is the only med that has really worked for me. I think it takes getting used to but the benefits have been worth it. Hope it works out for you guys, and if not, there's always another med or treatment to try.

On 25/10/2015 at 0:40 PM, TooManyUserNames said:

Ive been one 15mg for about a week now and it isnt doing . i feel if anything i am worse, i still dont sleep well and when i finally get to sleep i have real vivid and bad dreams. Im going back to the doctor this friday and hopefully get it sorted.

vivid dreams and even mild closed eye hallucinations are part of the initial side effects with mirtazapine, which some people can find mildly enjoyable. I didn't mind this stage so much. The truth is, mirtazapine doesn't have the normal SSRI/SNRI side effects and I've been on everything from Lexapro to in between with cymbalta and others.

When I'm given the choice of something where I can eat chocolate, and bananas and have Vegemite on toast, or what have you, without worrying about having interference with my serration uptake? I'll take that over horrendous side effects such as depersenalisation from Lexapro, which flatlined my personal. to everything tasting like metal and having horrendous headaches on cymbalta.

The fact that mirtazapine is not like other antidepressants is the reason why it works for me. Although it may not work for others. It's the first antidepressant I've taken without horrendous side effects and can continue to take even in high doses at 90mg as to the other side effects:

(1) Dry lips (again...)

(2) Need to wear my reading glasses full-time (again...)

(3) AMAZING, vividly detailed dreams ! Getting up in the morning proves difficult...

(4) A DEcrease in body temperature.

Now the decrease in body temperature I only noticed this time around after living on the tropical island for 3 years. When not using Remeron, I used to break out in awful sweats due to the temperature & humidity. My clothes were sticky and I was taking showers 3 times a day. This time around, being on Remeron the last 3 months however, I am handling the humidity and temperatures MUCH better. No more sweating - no more clingy clothes. This is a positive side effect for me !

The question is : has anybody else noticed that they are not getting as hot & sweaty as they used to ?

I know there is a lot that has been said negatively about Remeron, but I believe in 'different strokes for different folks' - or in this case 'different pills for different Wills'. In my case, I can only praise it. Especially the increase in my sex-drive *grin* and my appetite !

Hope all is well with everyone out there :)

Johnny

Well... I measured my temperature the other day, as I do occasionally having recently recovered from a salmonellae bacteria infection. My temperature reads about 36.1 to 36.6 which is still normal. Most times I don't even realise it. The dreams I used to get the dreams but I don't anymore at the moment and I don't really notice these other side effects.

For me sitting down with my psychiatrist who does nothing but medicine now. It was a god send to find something that worked without horrendous side effects.

Edited by sadsack84

I'm now been on Mirtazapine for over a month. The phase of weird dreams and waking up etc has pritty much passed and i have slept some good sleep. However the problem is how damn tweaked I still am the next day. I could seriously just sleep. Don't feel like doing much of anything. I have fibromyalgia so its a bit hard to know what is causing what. But i am 99% being this lethargic is not me. Vision was also very blurry today, lasted till about 2pm in the day. I have read some comments here though about people saying dont do this, or that with this drug. We are all different, and will all react differently to this drug, so best not to take everything people seriously as you may have a different experience.

8 hours ago, mistercee said:

I'm now been on Mirtazapine for over a month. The phase of weird dreams and waking up etc has pritty much passed and i have slept some good sleep. However the problem is how damn tweaked I still am the next day. I could seriously just sleep. Don't feel like doing much of anything. I have fibromyalgia so its a bit hard to know what is causing what. But i am 99% being this lethargic is not me. Vision was also very blurry today, lasted till about 2pm in the day. I have read some comments here though about people saying dont do this, or that with this drug. We are all different, and will all react differently to this drug, so best not to take everything people seriously as you may have a different experience.

The often held consensus among doctors is that a low dose will tend to make you more sedated while a higher dose may be more tolerable for daily activities. Perhaps you should talk to your treating doctor, or psychiatrist about that.

Hi all, new here. Wanted to share my Mirtazapine (remeron in US) with you, as reading this stream some very supportive and compassionate posters. My prob has always been with anxiety - panic disorder that with CBT and therapy now more GAD. Anyway pre xmas started Mirt 30mg (been on sertraline aka Zoloft) 200mg for a number of years. I must say Mirt was brilliant, yes full technicolour dreams, dry mouth, sleepiness for first few weeks but felt so much better from day 4 onwards. Alas a month or so later the benefit stopped, went up to 45mg some improvement but now on day 3 at 60mg. No side effects from upping from 45, still sleep like a baby and slightly tired but only slightly. Just hoping the 60mg kicks in like the initial 30mg, that was like a light bulb of calm but still focused was switched on. It seems I always need top end of dosages (luckily in Oz a month supply costs $20 - thanks to our nationalised medicare system - where your Obama Care could have been (all taxpayers contribute a 1% tax to cover it (you even get 10 highly subsidised psychologist of your choice visits). Any way does anyone have experience at getting the early effects I experienced at 60mg? Thanks

Hi All,

I've been on Mirtazapine (as it's called in Australia) for a month now.  It's helping with sleep, but it leaves me totally flat.  My g/f says I'm like the robot people in Bladerunner.

Anyone else have this?

Cheers.

46 minutes ago, GraceIsAces said:

New here.  Is this the place where I can talk about my experience  wit mirtazapine?

Hi Grace, I have been on Mirtazapine now for 3 months and it does seem to really take the edge off of the depression. It still makes me mildly sleepy so I take it at night. Mirtazapine is not a cure but life is better with it than without. I do notice that I have quite vivid dreams but, unlike taking Seroquel for sleep, the dreams are not nightmares. The dreams are just so vivid that sometimes I wake up thinking that they were real. The dreams are strange in that people from different points in my life appear in one continuous sequence, almost like a movie. Bizarre, I know. I haven't gotten any really bad side effects. I have a very sensitive stomach and Mirtazapine can be taken in a salt tab form that just dissolves on your tongue. However, the effects tend to his very quickly. 

I was on it for three very long weeks before my psychiatrist had me stop it. 

Thinking about suicide much more than normal, getting out of bed in the morning took literally hours, gained 18 pounds, and sapped of energy to the point where I’d just collapse on the sofa after work and stay there until it was late enough for me to let myself go to bed. Plus some mild stuff like dry mouth, but who cares about that.

Another in the long list of failed meds.

I was tapered up to 45 mg daily at bedtime 3 months ago, along with Effexor (called “jet fuel” in medical circles).  Had no effect so effexor stopped and I still take Mirtazapine.  I feel absolutely nothing, good or bad.  However, Doc wanted me to stay on since he was concerned that discontinuing the drug can be difficult.   I’ll read more posts and perhaps discuss with my shrink again.  

Woo. I’ve been off for about a month, and I’ve lost 6 of the 18 pounds gained while on it. Progress!

As for my experience going off of it:

Constant suicidal thoughts while on it, which were greatly reduced (down to “ normal” levels, which is still daily for me) on the first skipped dose, and by day three of being off of it, I was actually able to get up in the morning without too much difficulty. 

Though now I’m on Latuda, which actually seems to help. I had a week off between meds so that I could re-establish the baseline before diving into something new.

Hey there!

Been on remeron 45mgs for 5-6 weeks and depression still awful. I was on effexor 225mgs for 4 years but anxiety got bad so I opted for remeron again as it was good for me in 2002 or so.

At a loss.My doc keeps avoiding me and cant see him for 3 more weeks.

Should i step it doen and ramp onto an ssri like zoloft?

I can't see taking s larger remeron does. I know the higher the dose the more anti-dep properties it has and the less anxolitic properties it has.

Any advice? I'd appreciate it

On 4/27/2018 at 2:10 PM, Richie4747 said:

I was tapered up to 45 mg daily at bedtime 3 months ago, along with Effexor (called “jet fuel” in medical circles).  Had no effect so effexor stopped and I still take Mirtazapine.  I feel absolutely nothing, good or bad.  However, Doc wanted me to stay on since he was concerned that discontinuing the drug can be difficult.   I’ll read more posts and perhaps discuss with my shrink again.  

On 4/27/2018 at 2:10 PM, Richie4747 said:

I've been on 45mg for 5 weeks or so.I feel dead inside. Not helping at all.I was on effexor before remeron. So you can take effexor with remeron? At what dose?

Hope things are better for ya

I'm new here and have been on mirtazapine for three nights. It calms me but I cannot fall asleep at all until I take a temazapam, 15 mg. I usually have to take two doses to get just a few hours of sleep. I'm unable to nap either. When I read up on it, I was sure that it would help me sleep. So disappointed!  I really don't notice any side effects yet. I felt tired for only the first day. I feel less anxiety for the first part of the day but the anxiety returns in the afternoon. I have to stay in bed due to the extreme anxiety. I'm very malnourished so have had a little increase in appetite. Still don't have much of an appetite but am still afraid of the weight gain that everyone talks about.

I have high cortisol so have just started taking Phosphatidylserine in hope of lowering cortisol that might lead to some sleep. 

I've tried every imaginable natural sleep remedy imaginable but nothing has helped. I'll see an endocrinologist in March as I have adrenal and thyroid issues.

I would give anything to sleep, even if it was excessive! I have read that the excessive drowsiness does get better over time.

Every day I feel panicked to take the medication even though it has has had more benefits and less side effects than others.

Any advise or comments would be so welcome. I feel so scared and alone.

Hi everyone,

Bupropion (generic Wellbutrin) SR 150mg and mirtazapine 15mg worked well for me a year ago. I had good times during the three months when I was on them. 

However, now I'm on the same combo again and it still hasn't worked yet. I was put on bupropion over three weeks ago and mirtazapine one week ago, same dosage as before.

The wait is frustrating. I think I'm going to suggest increasing the dosage of mirtazapine at the next pdoc visit. This combo was so good that I don't want to give it up yet.

I'm very late here, I know...

I was recommended it just before Christmas 2018. I managed three days before I had to insist that I stop.

I felt like a zombie one moment, and screaming in rage at things the next. It's made me afraid to try any new meds in the future.

Just an update. I wrote here about being scared to death to start on Remeron. I began with 15MG and it calmed me but did not help me sleep. My phychiatrist started me on 50 MG of generic Seroquel. The combination of the two help me have the best sleep I've had in years. I don't have any side effects but I follow a strict diet of no sugar or carbs. I also take berberine to keep my blood sugar levels down. Yes, the first few weeks were hard as I was tired all the time and did have some weird anger issues but it passed.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:26 AM, wiredbuttired said:

Just an update. I wrote here about being scared to death to start on Remeron. I began with 15MG and it calmed me but did not help me sleep. My phychiatrist started me on 50 MG of generic Seroquel. The combination of the two help me have the best sleep I've had in years. I don't have any side effects but I follow a strict diet of no sugar or carbs. I also take berberine to keep my blood sugar levels down. Yes, the first few weeks were hard as I was tired all the time and did have some weird anger issues but it passed.

I'm glad to hear your sleep has improved so much! I think it's more likely the Seroquel, which is used as a 'major tranquilizer' aside from its general antipsychotic use. Actually, if you're worried about the volume of drugs you're on, you could probably cut out the Remeron and still be sleeping well! (with help from a doctor, of course.)

However, be wary of Seroquel. It will help your sleep, but if that's mainly what you're trying to fix, Seroquel is much more addictive, and has more undesirable side effects, than the majority of doctors admit. (I'm not talking rubbish, either: I was on Seroquel for a while, and many I know have been, so I know what happens when you come off it.) Having said that, if it's helping you, take it, but make sure you know all the good and bad points, from both doctors and people who have used it (especially for sleep, since that's your specific reason.)

A healthy diet won't hurt, but antipsychotics do tend to ramp up blood sugar in a lot of people, so even with berberine, you could probably be extra careful.