tomcatt

How are you doing on Remeron?

Hi there,

I'm new here too. I needed somewhere to just vent a bit and this place seems really supportive. I was on 15 mg of Mirtazapine as a starting dose because the 20mg of Citalopram made me feel a lot worse than I was already feeling. The 15 mg made me feel tired like you're describing, all the time, for about the first 3 weeks of the dose, and from then on I was able to sleep all night and way into the afternoon. My doctor decided that 15 milligrams weren't enough and upped my dose to 30 mg and i'm getting a better night sleep and feel more able to function during the day. Try and cut out caffeine (that helps) and if you smoke, try and cut down on that, too. & just persevere. Once your body gets to grips with the medication and dosage, you should find that you sleep during the night and are focused during the day. Did your doctor tell you when to take the medication, night or day?

Kind regards,

Melancholia6.

Hi Melancholia6, thanks for the reply.

I took me quite a few days, but my side effects have greatly decreased. I am no longer sleeping 12+ hours and feeling sleepy besides. I do still feel low energy if I get less than 10 hours a night, but that isn't so bad if I can keep my momentum going through the day.

Probably next week for my check-up I'll be upped to 15mgs. I worry about having the same side effects again, mainly because I'm a substitute. It would be unprofessional and possibly unsafe for me to be so drowsy on the job. However, I also know that I need a higher dose.

I am now trying out Strattera along with my bupropion and mirtazapine (15 mgs) and I have to say I'm not sleeping like I used to. It may be the Strattera, but now I awaken in the middle of the night and can't always get back to sleep. Could be the heat we're experiencing here.

But once I'm up and start my routine, by the middle of my 1st cup of coffee, I've been feeling great, optimistic, full of energy...

This afternoon I crashed in the middle of my coffee. I had to doze. Maybe half an hour.

I was prescribed Mirazapine after trying many other meds . I was on Xanax.05mg for sleep but really wanted off of it. I have been taking it for one year and nine months. I started the Mirazapine in a very low dose. One quarter of a 15 mg.tab . It made me so groggy it was hard to function. I took a very small amount of Mirazapine with .05 of Xanax really knocked me out. But still had the Xanax. I decided to quit the Xanax and take the 15mg of Mirazapine as it was less sedating during the day. After a day or so I started feeling weird. my question is which might be causing this could it be Xanax withdrawal it feels that way feeling starts about 2 hours after I get up. I took Ambien and had a similar reaction only to find out I was in withdrawal. I am very discouraged....help!

I started Remeron just over a month ago at 15mg and up until this weekend have seen such an improvement in my mood, energy, anxiety etc. After trying 3 other ADs this I feel is the one for me, as the side effects are just a better sleep and increased appetite . However yesterday and today I feel a slip back in mood and anxiety. Nothing like before I started on Rem. I I would have expected continued gradual improvement and wonder if anyone else has had this and then had gone up to 30 or 22 after a month. Last week I felt almost normal for 4 days on the 15mg and now this. I saw my pdoc on a really good day, and she saw the positive difference as soon as I walked in so what has happened Any suggestions?

Ive been one 15mg for about a week now and it isnt doing . i feel if anything i am worse, i still dont sleep well and when i finally get to sleep i have real vivid and bad dreams. Im going back to the doctor this friday and hopefully get it sorted.

Hi everyone, about a week and a half ago I was prescribed remeron as and adjunct to lexapro...the first week I started taking it I was able to see improvements and that was at the lowest dose of 7.5. During that course of that week I was tapering off of 75 mg of seroquel due to developing of a rash. Since this last Sat I increased my remeron to 15 mg and I have t been doing as well. I also feel since this increase im experiencing more anxiety and energy/restlessness. This could also be a result of no longer being on seroquel. I do take .5 of Klonopin in the morning since this is when my anxiety peaks. And again .25 in the mid afternoon which I've been slowly tapering off of. I want to stay on this med because I need soemthing to help with my appetite. Since I fell Into MDepression I've lost about 24 lbs and im having a hard time eating until dinner time when some appetite returns.

I started Remeron just over a month ago at 15mg and up until this weekend have seen such an improvement in my mood, energy, anxiety etc. After trying 3 other ADs this I feel is the one for me, as the side effects are just a better sleep and increased appetite . However yesterday and today I feel a slip back in mood and anxiety. Nothing like before I started on Rem. I I would have expected continued gradual improvement and wonder if anyone else has had this and then had gone up to 30 or 22 after a month. Last week I felt almost normal for 4 days on the 15mg and now this. I saw my pdoc on a really good day, and she saw the positive difference as soon as I walked in so what has happened Any suggestions?

I'm feeling the same way Carol, the first week I took it I was relieved to see the improvement since I've been on Lexapro for almost 10 weeks with not much relief. It seemed to boost something and a switch went off for the better, until I increased to 15...perhaps we just have to be patient until our bodies adjust but it sure can be discouraging to go backwards when you where just starting to feel a bit better.

Edited by Tinamommy

Ive been one 15mg for about a week now and it isnt doing ######. i feel if anything i am worse, i still dont sleep well and when i finally get to sleep i have real vivid and bad dreams. Im going back to the doctor this friday and hopefully get it sorted.

Toomanyusernames...is this the first med they put you on? Or is it being used as an adjunct to something else?

I tried it for depression because it is one of the only meds with no sex side effects, but it did nothing for me. However, I currently take 30mg to counter the sleeplessness from the med that does work for me, Pristiq. It works well in that sense, and it is a rare sedative that is not addictive. 

Camilo...that's what I've heard regarding the sexual side effect profile of remeron. I'm not too familiar with pristiq but from what I take you're doing pretty well on this combination??

Hi I am new to this forum and hope to see some positive results and get some great support. 

I developed vertigo five months ago and with that came extreme anxiety which I have never felt before.  So got a little depressed as well.  Vertigo is gone now but the anxiety and depression are not.  I have also lost 40 pounds due to the anxiety.  Been checked over health wise and I am in excellent health.  They are trying to get my sleep cycle back to normal as well as my body into a calm state.   

I have been on Remeron 15mg for abut 30 days, doesn't seem to have done much but help me sleep, and I also take Clonazepam .5mg am and pm but can take a total of 2mg per day if needed.  I have anxiety and slight depression. I am not on any other meds besides the 2 mentioned.  I cannot tolerate SSRIs which we have tried a few,  so my Pdoc said this was the last med he was trying.  Another words he does not want to work and find something that will work.  So presently working with my family doctor.  Yesterday she increased my dose of Remeron to 22.5mg and my Clonazepam to .75mg a.m. and p.m. Had a very restless night sleeping last night and did wake with some anxiety.  I took the .75mg Clonazepam as directed and still had slight anxiety all day.  I probably should have taken .5mg maybe around lunch time.  We are trying to taper me off the Clonazepam and I am tinkering around too much with it and the doctor is getting upset because we cannot get my body into a calm state.

I just feel dumb, have no energy just want to sleep or lie down.  I used to go to the gym 2-3 times a week and can't get the energy to go.  Its a chore just getting up and going to work.

I don't know if the Remeron is the med for me.  I am always tired.   I even get thoughts of why brother, why am I here.  This is not living life to the fullest.  Is there light at the end of the tunnel guys???

Purple

Edited by Purplelavender

Hi purplelavender, yes there is hope and light and the end of the tunnel! I know how dark and endless this experience can feel but persevere you must and you will. Don't worry about cutting of the Clonazepam right now it's too soon...until you get the right core med straightened out and you've been stable for awhile it won't be as hard as you think to taper. Staying under 2 mg of it is smart though. Wait till you've been stabilized for a couple solid months before beginning a taper. Getting your mind and body into a calm a state as possible is key for recovery. Also, as hard as it is try and simply get walks in everyday if you can, be sure to get your vitamin D as well! It's hard to do but necessary. Journal and log everything down so later you can look back at your progress or simply to see what could change or to see what's helping and to keep doing. Hang in there you pull they this even though you don't feel like it at the moment. Your not alone. Blessings.?

Thanks Junior.   So today we switched me to Alprazolam .5mg twice a day and see how that goes.   I have also started back to the gym 3 times a week and walking the dog daily.  So hoping that will help and soon only be on the Remeron for a bit. I am on no other meds which is hard for me to try and adjust to taking anything. I know its still early in the game for me but "Patience is not my strong suit"  I am the type of person that does not well on meds.   I seem to be tolerating the Remeron so that is a start.  

Wishing you all luck in your quest with Remeron and any positive suggestions are welcome.

Purple :winkkiss:

Edited by Purplelavender

I had been going great on Remeron (30mg) for a year, but a few weeks ago I started crying a lot and getting severely irritable. Tried contacting my doctor, turns out she left her practice the day before. Now have a new one, and I can't see her until our appointment three weeks from now and I don't think I've had my refill approved. (Thanks a lot, Kaiser.) At first I was unstable and now I'm 5 days into withdrawal. I feel very confused and unwell.

Has anyone else had a mood change so long into using Remeron?

Anyone had to go into withdrawal and go back to using it weeks later?

I started 7.5 mg mirtazapine about 3 days ago. IM sleeping great but i wake up tired and only want to nap when i get home from work. Its been so hard not calling in sick to work. This dose is a grain of salt compared to everyone elses. I feel like a wimp. But how long until i know it is helping my anxiety and depression? I feel like my mood is still up and down, i'm irritable and angry still.

My new psychiatrist keeps asking me if anyone in my family has schizophrenia or bipolar disorder II. I don't think so but i am not sure if anyone does. Is she maybe insinuating i have one both? I see her on wednesday. I have chronic anxiety and depression included panic attacks, PTSD along with OCD (not hand washing and door locking type, my OCD is mental racing thoughts and worry constantly checking money sort of thing.) I feel like a huge defect living on earth.

Can anyone give me any insight?

Edited by JDawg7

On April 1, 2016 at 0:35 PM, JDawg7 said:

I started 7.5 mg mirtazapine about 3 days ago. IM sleeping great but i wake up tired and only want to nap when i get home from work. Its been so hard not calling in sick to work. This dose is a grain of salt compared to everyone elses. I feel like a wimp. But how long until i know it is helping my anxiety and depression? I feel like my mood is still up and down, i'm irritable and angry still.

My new psychiatrist keeps asking me if anyone in my family has schizophrenia or bipolar disorder II. I don't think so but i am not sure if anyone does. Is she maybe insinuating i have one both? I see her on wednesday. I have chronic anxiety and depression included panic attacks, PTSD along with OCD (not hand washing and door locking type, my OCD is mental racing thoughts and worry constantly checking money sort of thing.) I feel like a huge defect living on earth.

Hi - I started at 15 mg, but then took it down to 7.5 because of the being too sleepy during the day. Give the medicine time for your body to adjust to it. I take other medication as well, and when I went up a dose in the Wellbutrin, I went back to 15 mg of Remeron.  It will stop making you so sleepy, but I have to make sure I take it early enough in the evening for me to get a full night's sleep. I set an alarm to tell me when to take my sleep-inducing antidepressant. Kind of ironic, I guess.
As for your p-doc asking you those questions, you could ask her right back, "Why?Does it make a difference?" She shouldn't insinuate, rather she should tell you directly. Good luck!

And welcome to the DF :)

On April 1, 2016 at 0:35 PM, JDawg7 said:

Are you on another type of antidepressant with it? There have been cases where  it has triggered mania when paired with another antidepressant since biploar tends to run in families she probably wants to be careful, but it is generally normal to ask about family history. 

I started at 7.5 for two days in and woke up in crazy dreams having dug my nails into my knee in my sleep to dissasociate so I upped it to 15 and then 30 hoping for the best the next two nights. I am hoping for the best tomorrow, however whatever hell it may put me through if it doesn't go that way is better than I was before I started. Seems to be helping the sleep issues that returned once I was used to the Cymbalta. 

I've been taking Remeron for a couple days now and it's certainly helping with my anxiety.  I do feel a little more tired, and I've had the strangest dreams, but that seems like a small cost to be less fidgety and anxious.  I'm really hoping I don't gain a lot of weight.  I work out every day and check my calories, so hopefully I will be able to maintain the healthy weight I am at right now.  I'll keep you guys updated!

OK if you don't mind being famished all the time and gaining  weight. Also tend  to slow down thinking. On the positive side, it doesn't affect sex life so you can sex so long as your partner doesn't care if you'[re fat and tired. 

I have been on Mirtazapine for 2 years. It was somewhat effective for treating my IBS, but at a dose around 15mg. Now I am taking effexor and  the mirtazapine to combat insomnia. I plan to work up to 75 mg effexor and stay at 15mg mirtazapine. 

Hi all. New to Mirtazapine. This will be my fifth night taking just 7.5mg. Yes the dreams and the hungryness do appear to be true.

Wondering though if the strong fatigue lasts how long. Thank god i dont have to work at the moment as watching as let alone watching a movie is challenging enough. Seems like the tiredness only wears off like in the evening and then its time to take the pill again. May be that my doctor will suggest upping to 15mg soon. I also have really weak muscles, but that may also stem from Fibromyalgia which i have. Have been able to manage that with a lot of gym. But now have taken quite a fall with some mild depression and a crash in health + sleeping. Hope this fog does lift off me soon..not fun. I would assume it has to get better than this. Dry mouth, dry eyes, blurred vision, feeling very hot at times are some of the side effects i am having. Many thanks guys!

Hi y'all! Newbie to DF and first time user of Mirtazapine. I am being treated for severe depression, social anxiety and PTSD. Pdoc put me on Mirtazapine for sleep and Lexapro. 

It's day 2 on 7,5 mg Mirtazapine and I am feeling very groggy, tired and dizzy. I am literally glued to my bed. Wanted to go for a run but I cannot even walk straight so I figured it's not a wise idea atm. So far haven't noticed crazy hunger or carb cravings. After my first dose I noticed that I wasn't enjoying food as much and sorta shoveled it into my mouth. I couldn't taste the food as much as I used to. After my second dose I have noticed that drinking water makes me feel very full and it is not very pleasant. I hope it passes cause I like food and it'd be sad not to be able to taste as much.

Haven't started Lexapro yet as I had to wait for the pharmacy to have it delivered... So, big day tomorrow - bit terrifying as I have no idea what to expect.

Any other Mirtazapine users still lurking out there?

Edited by zerendipity