Sign in to follow this  
tomcatt

How are you doing on Remeron?

Thanks for starting the new topic.  I increased my dosage to 60mg about 4 days ago and I'm happy with it so far, sleeping pretty good and I have a vague feeling of being more comfortable in my own skin, if you know what i mean.  I know the full effect of the increased dose will probably take a couple of weeks but so far, so good. I see my pdoc on the 21st. Best to all!

Always nice to hear poistive stories - thanks for sharing.

Hope each day sees you feeling better and better... let us know how it goes.

i have been taking remeron for... about 2 1/2 months I guess, and a month ago I upped from 15mg to 30mg a day.  It seemed to really help me at 15mg, and my doc and I thought an increase would be good, since this medicine supposedly has less side effects at higher dosages.  The 15mg made me really tired, but helped.  Now that I've been on 30 mg for a while, I feel pretty down again, and I've also noticed that I've gained some weight (not typical weight gain, it seemed too sudden) and I didn't really even change my eating habits.  So I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.  I feel less tired, I think, but it seems to me that the other side effects are worst with an increased dosage, despite what has been said about this med.  I know everyone is different, I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience.  I can't tell if I need to lower my dose back to 15mg a day, or if I should raise it.  I am also taking Wellbutrin XL, just so you know, I know 15 and 30mg aren't really that much.  The WB by itself made me too irritable.

I'm still taking my 1/4 to 1/2 of a 15 mg pill at night to help me sleep, and it's still working wonders.  Without it, I don't sleep more than 3 hours before I'm awake, tossing and turning.  I'm actually NOT looking forward to the day I stop taking it!  :;):

im taking remeron still. One suggestion, do not eat food 1-2 hours after u take it or you will have nightmares and wake up continuosly.

just wanted to respond to the comment on nightmares when eating after taking the pill . . . I've noticed I've had similar experiences, and  I do have a tendency to eat late at night, which is when I take my pill.  Hmmm . . . I'll have to see if there is a connection there.

I guess I'm doing okay. At least I sleep really well. And I don't have to take naps and sleep too much.

My psychdoc just upped me to 90mgs...I've been getting stepped up over the past months from 45 to 60, to 75 five weeks ago, and then just Wednesday to 90mg. Is this a common dose? I say my physician today for a followup on my cholesterol and when we went over my current meds and doses she seemed sorta surprised.

I know this, a couple of times when I didn't take it for a couple of days, I was a mess...

According to RXlist.com, the usual maintenance range for Remeron is 15 to 45 mg; but I'm aware of some pdocs who find higher doses of meds are needed by some people. If you're doing well, you trust your doc and you're having any necessary follow-up tests, I wouldn't worry. You can always bring it up to your pdoc if you have concerns.

I'm not all that worried about. I trust my pdoc and I'm always at the top of or over the maximum usual dose of a/d's. If it works, I'll take it if she Rx's it.

I've been on up to 90, on 60 now. I'm pretty much normal with meds but have experienced crippling OCD, Depression and anxiety.

It started to get really bad (ocd) when I was about to graduate from college. A few years later I was off meds and was run over on my moped and nearly killed..bounced from med to med and finally ended up with a working combination.

nothing touched the OCD like remeron. Other drugs had helped but nothing like the remeron did. Stopped the ocd totally.

I am also on 100mg of seroquel and 6mg klonepin which seems to help with the mood and impulsive behavior.

If you are ocd and have tried everything remeron will be worth a try. I was on zyprexa for a little while that didn't help anything.

Was on zoloft, buspar, anafranil, effexor, serzone, effexor helped the most but it really messed me up when I missed a dose, didn't like that.

so from the A to Z of psych meds remeron helped me the most.

Newbie checking in. Been on Remeron 30mg since August (combining it with Effexor 150 mg). It helps me sleep thank goodness and I gained a little weight (which is a good thing in my case.... well as long as it ends at some point). I had some side effects in the beginning. Like sleepy in the morning, headaches... and I seemed more sensitive. Every sound or movement scared the hell out of me. Don't know whether that was because of Remeron though. But well, I'm more or less ok now.

Welcome to our Remeron room, Autumn  :hearts:

Glad to hear that you're doing OK and have worked through the start-up side-effects!

I've been on Remeron RD 15mg for 2 weeks. I feel really tired after taking it. I know it's still a pretty early time to rid side effects and for the medication to start working. But the drowsiness is making me oversleep. I can't seem to get up in the morning. I was late for school once because I slept in. I have weekly checkups with my doctor, he said that the sedative effects will pby slowly go away after another week or so? has anyone experienced tiredness for more than 2 weeks?

Edited by yan

Yan,

:hearts: to the board!

Yes, I was pretty tired in the beginning. It should lessen over time. Even now, when I take my meds before going to bed, it makes me very sleepy within half a hour or so. I don't have any more trouble getting up though. It is also known that the 15mg causes more sedation than the higher dosages (I'm on 30mg myself). It doesn't sound logical, I know. But it is how Remeron works.

I hope you get through the start-up side-effects! Keep us posted!

Luv,

Autumn :bump:

Edited by Autumn

Welcome to DF, yan :hearts:

I agree with Autumn - for some reason, the higher dose seems to cause fewer side-effects. Might be worth discussing with your doc. Also, you might try taking the Remeron a few hours earlier in the evening to see if that makes your mornings easier.

I wish you well. Let us know how you're doing...

Hmm... I hope the sedative effects will soon go away. I've looked up many antidepressants... but none of them say they are safe to use on persons 18 years old or younger... are there? I like the taste of Remeron.. tastes like oranges :hearts:

I have generally low BP. around 95/55. so sometimes i feel faint and black out when i stand up. but after taking remeron... it seems to be worse... i would get lightheaded for every posture change nearly. For example, I would get dizzy and blackout for about 5 seconds and return to normal when i get out of the shower... this usually doesn't happen. any ideas?

Hmm... I hope the sedative effects will soon go away. I've looked up many antidepressants... but none of them say they are safe to use on persons 18 years old or younger... are there? I like the taste of Remeron.. tastes like oranges :hearts:

I have generally low BP. around 95/55. so sometimes i feel faint and black out when i stand up. but after taking remeron... it seems to be worse... i would get lightheaded for every posture change nearly. For example, I would get dizzy and blackout for about 5 seconds and return to normal when i get out of the shower... this usually doesn't happen. any ideas?

Hi everyone,

I am new here, but wanted to share my experience. I have been struggling with depression/anxiety for a few years and been tried on just about EVERY antidepressant. I am so sensitive to side effects that I have had terrible luck. I have finally had success with Remeron in that it has the most tolerable side effects for me, although the sedation if not really that tolerable.......but I am managing to function to some degree. I am taking 15 mg and it does certainly help with sleep. I tried for a month to get up to and stay at 30mg, as it is supposed to be LESS sedating at higher doses, but I could hardly move off my couch. I do have a ravenous appetite, which is a pain. Have gained 10 pounds and managing to snack on healthy things and stave off a lot more weight gain. Staying away from refined carbs helps, although I crave them.

So, my current dilemma is that I need to find another antidep to add to the mix as I still have some symptoms and sedation. I have tried ritalin and did not like how it felt. My doc wants me to try lamictal now, which I am going to start tomorrow. Any experiences??? I am afraid of side effects, but am williing to do anything. I also take ativan when I need it.

In a nutshell (pardon the term), I love remeron in that it is the only antidep I can tolerate in the least, but I DO have sedation from it and need to add to the mix. I really would love to have the energy to go to the gym again and run around with my kids.....

there you have it.

peace,

gigi

Welcome to DF. gigi!

I'm glad you're having some positive effects from the Remeron. I wish you luck as you add on the lamictal. Let us know how it's going...

Edited by lizard

Hi.I took 7.5 mg's of remeron last night at 10pm. It only took 40 minutes to make me extremely tired and it was all I could do to brush my teeth and get ready for bed! I slept for 12 hours and then lay in bed for 2 more! I can't believe it knocked me right off my feet like that. I am a bit drowsy now and a bit dizzy or something like that.My mouth is a little dry too, but other than that no real side effects. is it normal to be that tired? I knew it would make me sleep good but I was unprepared for it to knock me off my feet like that.I have had bad insomnia for a month from taking paxil, so mabey last night made up for the whole month of not sleeping,lol.

I was supposed to go on a fun trip out of town with my b/f this morning, and I absolutely could not get up and go. he was so nice about it and is totally fine with going tomorrow but I felt bad and what if i feel the same way tomorrow?

Im almost afraid to take the pill again tonight , i might sleep all day tomorrow. Anyway other than that its ok so far. i'll keep you posted.

is it normal to be that tired?

Canadian Girl, my answer from personal experience is "yes"!

Maybe take your dose a little earlier tonight so you might not be as sleepy in the AM???

Hi Canadian Girl,

Yes, I think it's quite common and normal to feel tired. I'm on 30mg myself and I remember it making me very drowsy real fast in the beginning. I took it about half an hour before bedtime and it sure knocked me out in that half hour. I was tired in the morning in the beginning as well but it decreased once I'd gotten used to the med.

Try going to bed and getting up at the same time each day even if it was hard those first few days. I guess those are the hardest. I hope you get through the start-up side-effects. Hang in there and keep us posted on how you're doing!

Luv,

Autumn

Hi.I took 7.5 mg's of remeron last night at 10pm. It only took 40 minutes to make me extremely tired and it was all I could do to brush my teeth and get ready for bed! I slept for 12 hours and then lay in bed for 2 more! I can't believe it knocked me right off my feet like that. I am a bit drowsy now and a bit dizzy or something like that.My mouth is a little dry too, but other than that no real side effects. is it normal to be that tired? I knew it would make me sleep good but I was unprepared for it to knock me off my feet like that.I have had bad insomnia for a month from taking paxil, so mabey last night made up for the whole month of not sleeping,lol.

I was supposed to go on a fun trip out of town with my b/f this morning, and I absolutely could not get up and go. he was so nice about it and is totally fine with going tomorrow but I felt bad and what if i feel the same way tomorrow?

Im almost afraid to take the pill again tonight , i might sleep all day tomorrow. Anyway other than that its ok so far. i'll keep you posted.