Cassandra2019

How to tell new boyfriend that I'm bipolar

Hi. I'm in my 50's and have been diagnosed bipolar since age 18. I have lots of practice telling friends, relatives, church folks, employers and 2 ex-husbands that I am bipolar. It's been 5 years since my divorce and I've started online dating. I've met a man that I really like but there's a problem. He uses the words "crazy" and "bipolar" interchangeably and he calls any woman that who's behavior he doesn't understand. I'm dating someone entrenched in ignorance & stigma around bipolar. I want to open up to him but I'm afraid he's either going to label me & leave or stay but treat me differently. Not sure what to do.

There is a huge stigma about our illness.  People only listen to what they see on tv about our illness and there is never positive stories about us because that doesn't make them money.  I would never tell him.  What's really the upside of telling him or find someone else that is more understanding.

I would be honest about it.  If something is a major personal issue and you try keeping it to yourself.  The other person may see you as dishonest. 

Yep truth is the way to go.  Let the chips fall and work from there. But as much as I say that I can understand your problem here.  Such a hard place to be.  It’s the thought of loosing the light you see at the end of the tunnel.  

If I should be completely honest about my issues it's pretty much over for me.  There's no chance anyone would understand everything.