highanxiety

Is having a family history of depression possibly triggering yours?

I have heard both yes and no on this topic from doctors, although the common consensus a family history of depression can very likely be passed on or triggered to an offspring.  I guess I am proof of this fact as my mom had major clinical depression so bad she was hospitalized for five years.  She came out of it thank God with the right Psychiatrist and medication.  Oddly my sister, my only sibling, did not get it.  However her oldest daughter suffers from depression.

Wondering if family history is a contributing factor to your depression as well?

one psychiatrist told me that if one parent has  mental illness, there is a 50 % of a child developing it. It has been in my family and extended families (aunts/uncles/cousins). It is like cancer there is marker in the genetic makeup of a person, you may or may not develop the problem.  Just as there are some people in the world whose brains do not secrete enough of the feel good hormones  (ex: serotine) which is a chemical or (if you prefer) a hormonal imbalance with in the brain.

And THERE are some people who will disagree and will be very snarky about it. If you can get past the dry, boring scientific lingo, there are several peer-approved journal articles out there.

Posted (edited)

As you and no doubt many on DF know, my birthmother has suffered from it (among other untreated mental health issues) all her life.  Yet I was absolutely clear I had it well before I even tracked her down when I was in my 30s.  That's to say, her experience wasn't a trigger, as such.

Ironically, it's been observing her eractic behavior and her continued, staunch refusal to seek help - because it's "shameful" to her generation - that has spurred me to continue to get help for myself.  I suppose so much more so since our facial features are uncannily similar and I've realized that could be me.  What I've seen has scared me.

Edited by MarkintheDark

Yes, it runs in my Dad’s side of the family. I now know that I struggled with depression and anxiety all of my life yet was just told I had to do better and try harder to be normal. So as a kid I thought there was something wrong with me and it was my fault. There were certain traumatic events that added to it yet the illness was already there. 

BW

My dad had depression and my mom had anxiety.  That's what I know for sure.  I can't say what other mental illnesses either of them had.

They had 4 boys... all 4 have some type of depression AND anxiety.

They also had 2 girls... both of which have some type of anxiety.  One is much worse than the other.  But they both have it.

Is it genetic?  Or is it learned behavior?  I don't know.  Jury is out on that.  I don't always buy into the genetic thing.  But whether or not it is genetic, we are a product of our environment.