The Silent One

Inpatient question?

So I'd like to open up to my therapist about my "eating problem", I'll call it. Because I dont think it's a full blown ed. She commented on my weight last time and seemed concerned. My fear is that she will want me to go inpatient which I dont want to. From your alls experience, at what point would I be forced to go inpatient? I'm also worried that I'll get weighed at each session. I would just like some insight as to what it may look like if i tell my therapist about this issue. 

Thank you in advance. 

This is hard stuff you are going through.  I'm glad you are reaching out for some feedback. That takes strength and wisdom. 

You'd like to open up with your therapist about the "eating problem."  So, I encourage you to.  I don't know the laws or rules about forcing inpatient.  

But the subject is already present in the room so it seems like a healthy move to  bring it more out in the open.  I wonder if there is a way for you to ask for a collaborative approach to the conversation and to share your concern about inpatient.  

You deserve to be healthy and whole.  And a conversation with your therapist about the challenges related to eating may contribute to that goal.  

How does this sound?  What concerns do you have?

Posted (edited)

It really depends on where you are... My experience in the US is that they can only force you if they believe you to be an imminent danger to yourself or others so I don't think your ED would qualify unless you look like you just fled a concentration camp and might pass out at any moment. 

Edited by lonelyforeigner

In the state where I live, one can only be forced into an involuntary commitment if one is an imminent threat to oneself or others, as far as I know.  I am not sure what the law is where you live.  You might see if you can find information on this from a lawyer or free legal aid clinic.    - epictetuis

They won't force you away for having an eating disorder but I've seen people in facilities that had admitted eating disorders in locked dual diagnosis rehab centers.  They are basically psych hospitals with a different name and they didn't work with them whatsoever.  All they did is lock the door to their room so they couldn't get to the bathroom in their rooms.

It's just getting out of hand. People are starting to comment. I'm going to try to change some habits and I'm actually about to attempt ordering a pizza with my family because they are concerned about my weight and I dont want to raise any flags. Im stressing out quite a bit about this pizza

Hey Silent One
I wish I knew more what to say.  Perhaps one of the way to lower the stress would be to go ahead and order the pizza and have a piece or two.  Your anxiety will probably go up a bit and then once you've done it it will probably go down. 

Tim 

I was forced to go once--dragged from my therapist's office by some firefighters--because he felt I was dangerously close to causing serious harm to myself. You might be pressured to go impatient for something like this, but I don't know if they could force you unless they felt you seriously intended to commit suicide. 

Those are like the times I was forced when I was making suicidal threats or I made attempts.  I was never forced by firefighters but I was forced by police and doctors and judges.  It really worked out.😒

The first time I was forced it was "voluntary"... My psychologist called me into his office because he was extremely concerned about the deadline I set for myself quickly approaching and once I was at his office he basically told me I was going, either voluntary or involuntary. He allowed me to drive to the hospital but made sure to call them ahead of time and told me if I did not arrive there within a specified time period he would call the cops and have them pick me up. He also called the hospital to brief them so I couldn't even try to talk my way out of it.

2nd time was involuntary... I tried to harm myself in the hospital and got busted because I fell asleep with a scalpel blade in my hand which the nurse noticed when she did her checks. Let's just say the doctors were not amused and the next morning I found myself handcuffed and shackled and on my way to a state hospital. Yay for stupidity. 

But yeah, both times it was because I presented an imminent threat to myself... 

Posted (edited)

Yes it's very easy to end up at the state hospital.  When you get to the psych ward you essentially have no rights.  When you first get there they give you a paper talking about your rights.  You might as well use that as toilet paper the first time you go to the bathroom because that's all it's worth.  You do what you're told when you're told no matter what they tell you to do or you end up at the state hospital.  You have to comply every step of the way if you ever want to walk outside again.

Edited by sober4life

39 minutes ago, sober4life said:

You have to comply every step of the way if you ever want to walk outside again.

Yeah, basically. Pretend to be fine and participate in all activities and you're out in a few days. Stay in bed and isolate and you'll be there for a LONG time. Act up and you'll get isolation or be watched 24 hours a day... 

Posted (edited)

I too quickly learned how to get out of there. Attend every group, eat all three meals. Tell your case worker that you feel perfectly fine and have no suicidal thoughts whatsoever, and don't foresee yourself having suicidal thoughts again in the near future. Even if you're only going to read a book or stare at the wall between groups, do it among the other patients, not alone in your room. I've never spent more than three nights in a mental health ward. 

+Please do not let my comments dissuade you from hospitalization if you feel you are in serious danger of harming yourself+

Edited by SqueezeWax