Sign in to follow this  
nojoy

medication genetic testing

I have, nojoy.  it wasn't that helpful for me.  The test i took shows how my body metabolizes meds.  Which ones fast.  Which ones slow.  It ranks them in three categories.  Green.  Yellow and Red.  Two meds that used to work really well for me were in the Yellow range (like worked for 8 plus years).  We tried two of the Green ranked meds and the side effects were awful.

So, I don't know.  Some people say it helps.  Some doctors say it helps.  Didn't help me.  

Tim 

So all they are doing is trying to figure out dosages then.  So by that method all meds might still work if you adjust the dosage.  I guess all they're saying is the green ones are the ones that actually stay in your system as long as they are supposed to but this won't help you know which ones have awful side effects.  It's still a trial and error game.

@Tim 52 that's what I'm afraid of. I have been on other meds years ago including Prozac. Prozac has been the most helpful in maintaining an even level in my life. I was doing great at 60mg and even 40 mg with 150 mg Wellburtin until doctor up Wellbutrin to 300mg. I just want to go back to 60mg of Prozac like I was when I was feeling like life was worthwhile. 

I can't afford any major negative side effects . I work with young children and have to be clear headed and ready to response in a second. 

You should be able to say exactly what you said in your last post and then the doctor puts things back to where they were.  If the idea of all of this is to make you feel better then your doctor should have no problem putting things back to where they were when you felt better.  If he won't do that it's time to find a different doctor.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:53 PM, nojoy said:

Has anyone been through the genetic testing that supposedly shows which medications will work for you?

it didn't work for me. it works for some, but not others...some doctor told me it's stupid & useless, but when you are hopeless you will do anything...good luck

Hi ladysmurf,

I did go through with the genetic testing. It showed what I already know. I can take most of the antidepressants and that Prozac was the top one but that I could not take Wellbutrin at high doses. I told that NP that but what do I know, only that I know myself better than she did.

I do have an appt with a psych doctor and maybe this one will listen to me.