Sign in to follow this  
Acarlay

What are things you do to cope with anxiety?

So I've been struggling with anxiety for pretty much all my life and for the past few years, I've been getting anxiety attacks. So what do you do to cope with this? I struggle to find things that work for me. Not just for anxiety attacks, but anxiety in general too.

I try to get to some fresh air like going outside sitting on my porch.  I also try some

deep breathing  and if that doesn't help I pray and pace the floor trying to calm down.

Cardio exercise like walking or running, doing work around the house, making a list of all the things that are stressing you out in your life and trying to finish everything on the list.

Edited by sober4life

There is a good meditation app I use called Headspace. I also do deep breathing, praying, and getting outside in the fresh air. I have grown-up coloring books I use and sleep helps. I also take a break from whatever I'm doing and get back to it when I'm more centered.

I have always struggled with anxiety as well. I try to spend time outside for at least 20 minutes each day, exercise, practice mindfulness, rely on support through online or in person(trusted family/friends) watch fav movies/tv shows, read, listen to music, write...When you are up to it, write a list of things you like to do that are a healthy distraction, then keep the list somewhere so you can reflect on it when you feel your anxiety building.

If you're at home, you can try distracting yourself. I use app games or Sporcle quizzes. I also can't recommend yoga enough. It's exercise, it's meditation, it's deep breathing, it's positive affirmations. Plus there's a million iterations on Youtube. I tend to look for "gentle yoga" or "yoga for anxiety" when I need to calm down. One more thing: journaling. Write down all your worries and negative thoughts. Then you can look at them later and sort through them. Which are legitimate and which are overreactions? How can you go about coping with them?

Edited by evalynn

My anxiety was always triggered by too much food,  the feeling of bloating.  My biggest trigger is feeling sick, and unfortunately my head was confusing nerves with this feeling.  So every time I was "trapped" that feeling of no escape,  to give you an example,  in a lift, an aeroplane at a wedding when the speeches are going on I brain would convince me I was going to be sick.

Its a nightmare, but over the years I have found my comfort.  If I have an escape route I can resolve an attack within a few minutes,  otherwise I need to find a distraction.  

Depp breathing is a huge one,  but lets say I am a passenger in a car on a motorway and the feelings start, I look for signs to the services and count them down and know if I need the driver to pull in I can,  and relaxing about it.  

I hope I make sense,  but an escape plan always get me through my anxious "ticks"