Sign in to follow this  
Gillis777

3 years on sertraline

HI all, new here and seeking advice on sertraline use. this could go on a bit 😂

I first started taking sertraline 3yrs ago now after recognising something was not right with the way I was feeling, I was anxious about absolute rubbish, my mind played tricks on me & I would go deep into thought about horrible things happening to me or my family & had a couple of panic attacks. went to the docs & she prescribed me 50mg sertraline (as well as some CBT mindfulness which really wasn't for me). Had all the side effects but after a while & upping the dose to 100mg things got much better, no more anxiety really, certainly no more daydreaming & imagining myself smashing into a tree while driving, or slicing my hand off while cutting vegetables (lovely eh!) . I have low spells (manopause) every so often where I'm just a bit there but not there if you get my drift (can last days or weeks) but do pass until recently, I'm up & down like a bloody yo-yo, not too bad in the mornings quite bright & chirpy at work but am absolutely shattered come the evening & just want to lay on the sofa, stare at my phone or telly & not really talk much with a rather emotionless face, when I do try & talk words seem to disappear from my head & I struggle to make my point. My wife has never really got it, she asks if i'd be happier single which is obviously 'no', i'd just be sitting on a different sofa staring into space 😂 . I nearly came off it last September, things were great & had been for some time, I also never wanted to be stuck on it forever so I cut down gradually 75mg for a few weeks, then 50 then 25 but hit a bit of a wall & had one of my 'man-periods' and went back up (still wish I hadn't). So here I am 9 months later still on it & feeling shit, has anyone else had similar experiences? does sertraline stop working sometimes? I'm going to see the doc about it too but think they may try & put it up to 150mg which I've refused once & will again, psychologists they aint. I feel such a fraud really, I have no 'real' problems, lovely wife & child, homeowner, good job, great friends, was a very happy go lucky person til 5-6 years ago, there's no background as to why i'm anxious/depressed, non-smoker, reasonable drinker, had a history of recreational drug abuse when a young raver but past all that. any advice/help appreciated, hope I haven't bored anyone!

Gillis:

Unfortunately, psych meds can run out of gas.  For some people they do and for some people they don't.  Your depression may have a brain chemistry basis and you may need the meds.  Sertaline may be the right one for you again or you may need to switch.  

Best to you 

Tim