Sign in to follow this  
blueskys_lemondrops

What it means to be Happy. (my approach)

Since, well, about a decade I have had struggles with depression ranging from sadness to extreme bouts. December 2018 I recieved delieverence in Christ and had the oppurtunity to begin climbing out of what looked like chronic depression. A little over 6 months later here are some findings and perspectives I have on happiness.

I was thinking about recovery and the slow nature of it, how so many (me too) view it to be a process of beginning and end. I dont think its true and that the journey of life constitutes the journey of recovery. Life always has another faucet, challenge, raceway even, to learn and explore; another pinnacle to reach, another pitfall to ascend from. It literally is awesome and totally sucks at the same time, the lack of stopping point. 

As humans we all want stability and an underlying happiness, we all want to lead a meaningful life. Through my own growth and practices I have come to understand that depth is not synonomous with happiness. Intelligence I feel the same way. I took my depression and pain and placed sprituality on the other side like a perfect anti-thesis. It really does help to have a practice/tradition that brings happiness and increases faith. It makes us more real and pure, but not perfectly happy. 

As I sit in my room typing this after whats been an increasingly enduring week, I am not longing for happiness from sprituality, Im not hungry to beat myself up over lack of happiness. I am not so starved for an accolade, although I hope you take something from this. I'm here envisioning what a life might look like that I am content with. That I wake up and breath in and agree with. That isnt such a battle and road to more of the same. 

To bridge the gap with this life I strove for and where I am is going to take focus and toil, its gonna take relaxation and acceptance. Its gonna be difficult, yet doable. My path and passion is not yours, you see. It is not his or hers, its my own. Working to balance all these attributes in my mind is alot to take on. 

What brings me the most joy is expressing my truth and enabling others to do the same. I want to lead by example, I want to show a diffrent side of life to myself because I long for change and perpetual freedom. 

One thing for sure, happiness, contentment, joy.. they take work, time, investment, they are such a pleasure to have, sometimes a chore to maintain, and to lose them always hurts. To live life in the aims of a dream is daunting, but if we work hard one day we may see the fruits of our labor. 

Lets keep going depression forum. Lets encourage each other to rise from the ashes and get to a higher altitude. Life is full, empty, exciting, dull, life is painful and dreary, it can also be rapturous. Lets help one another to make it through, provide what we know, theroize what we dont, and just be earnest and work hard towards progress. If you are crippled today with fear doubt and grief, you have a friend in me and I want in your core to let the conviction of life remain. It has kept us here this long and although we flounder, it does not wish to see us fall. 

Thank you all for allowing me to share. 

I really do love this.

It makes sense too that happiness can take time and work. Hence why it'd all be paid off. Assistance can really make a difference in this.

Thank you for sharing :laugh:

What brings me the most joy is expressing my truth

I'm intrigued by this. How do you do this without being shunned further? How do you do this without feeling shame? How do you do this without losing even more friends and family?