15anddepressed

My perspective as an atheist, nihilist and depressed

I'm 15 and a boy, if you want context on my experiences you can check my other posts. I've always been non-religious, agnostic for most of my life, but atheist for the past few years, now more anti-theist (I actively oppose religion as I think that overall it does more harm to society than good, no hate to any religious people, I know most religious people aren't bad people, every person is an individual and should be treated as such). I also happen to be a nihilist (I don't believe that life has any inherent meaning or purpose) as well. Some would say that this might be making my depression worse, but even if that is true (which I'm not sure if it is), I'd much rather be part of reality then believe in (what I view to be) a fairytale to keep me going. I shouldn't have (and don't want to) to put my faith into some invisible man up in the sky to get me motivated. If I ever become motivated, I want that to happen because of me and me alone.

Thank you for sharing your views with us.  Philosophy is a very interesting subject to me personally since it was my academic specialty.  It is always good to know that there are still people out there who engage in philosophical reflection.  I hope you will get lots of responses to your post !   

1 hour ago, Epictetus said:

Thank you for sharing your views with us.  Philosophy is a very interesting subject to me personally since it was my academic specialty.  It is always good to know that there are still people out there who engage in philosophical reflection.  I hope you will get lots of responses to your post !   

Thank you, I've always been somewhat of a nihilist and a realist, I've just never been a big fan of using emotions for thinking and stuff, this has grown since the past few years. 

Hello @15anddepressed,

I am a non-believing believer with a strong anti-theist mindset.  I love logic and reason.  Passion is only good for finding out what you want most.  But passion should be regulated.

I totally agree with you on religion generally being negative.  I met a guy years ago who studied or was: Christianity, Islam and Buddhism.  Sadly, I cannot remember his talk. 

Your nihilism may or may not be a part of your depression.  If you see no purpose in life why should you be depressed about being alive? 

1 minute ago, Rattler6 said:

Hello @15anddepressed,

I am a non-believing believer with a strong anti-theist mindset.  I love logic and reason.  Passion is only good for finding out what you want most.  But passion should be regulated.

I totally agree with you on religion generally being negative.  I met a guy years ago who studied or was: Christianity, Islam and Buddhism.  Sadly, I cannot remember his talk. 

Your nihilism may or may not be a part of your depression.  If you see no purpose in life why should you be depressed about being alive? 

Wow, interesting to see someone like-minded, thanks for responding!

I think that I've always been somewhat nihilistic, but I think that my depression is a big part of that mindset becoming stronger for sure. A lot of people (especially religious people) conflate nihilism with pessimism, and that's wrong. It doesn't mean that there can't be any meaning in life, only that there is no inherent meaning in life. A person should set out and find their own meaning in life without some book telling them what it is, and even if they do not think that there should be any meaning in life (like I do), that doesn't mean that you can't live a fulfilling life.

I don't think there is any meaning at all to life.  It's day to day survival and nothing more.  Our lives aren't any more important than the life of the fly flying across the room or the spider climbing the wall.  We all just have to survive but because we're the smartest animal we will try to look for meaning forever.  I'm to the point where I don't care if there is a god.  There could be a god but if there is he certainly doesn't care what happens to the world.  He's an observer or conducting a science experiment he can't mess up by stepping in.  Lots of people have trouble believing there is a god in a world like this because god is a creator like a parent there must be love there.  Those people obviously never had a deadbeat parent.  Chances are there is no god.  We were created and whatever created us hit the road shortly after or this whole world is just random chemistry.

4 hours ago, 15anddepressed said:

Wow, interesting to see someone like-minded, thanks for responding!

I think that I've always been somewhat nihilistic, but I think that my depression is a big part of that mindset becoming stronger for sure. A lot of people (especially religious people) conflate nihilism with pessimism, and that's wrong. It doesn't mean that there can't be any meaning in life, only that there is no inherent meaning in life. A person should set out and find their own meaning in life without some book telling them what it is, and even if they do not think that there should be any meaning in life (like I do), that doesn't mean that you can't live a fulfilling life.

Sounds like you are being rational. 

Yes just because that there is no innate meaning that does not mean that you cannot find a meaning.  My meaning is pretty simple at the moment.  Just make a lot of money.  Then build up from there.  I do no need some oafish, thuggish, tyrannical god telling me or anyone else how to live. 

6 hours ago, Rattler6 said:

Sounds like you are being rational. 

Yes just because that there is no innate meaning that does not mean that you cannot find a meaning.  My meaning is pretty simple at the moment.  Just make a lot of money.  Then build up from there.  I do no need some oafish, thuggish, tyrannical god telling me or anyone else how to live. 

Agree 100%. I'd like to think of myself as very rational, I've never been a big fan of using emotions in my thought process. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

10 hours ago, sober4life said:

I don't think there is any meaning at all to life.  It's day to day survival and nothing more.  Our lives aren't any more important than the life of the fly flying across the room or the spider climbing the wall.  We all just have to survive but because we're the smartest animal we will try to look for meaning forever.  I'm to the point where I don't care if there is a god.  There could be a god but if there is he certainly doesn't care what happens to the world.  He's an observer or conducting a science experiment he can't mess up by stepping in.  Lots of people have trouble believing there is a god in a world like this because god is a creator like a parent there must be love there.  Those people obviously never had a deadbeat parent.  Chances are there is no god.  We were created and whatever created us hit the road shortly after or this whole world is just random chemistry.

Seems like you're an agnostic atheist from what you described. Thanks for sharing. I think that too many people just can't deal with the reality that we're insignificant and they created something to make them feel important. What you described is one of the many reasons I think God doesn't exist, it's called the Problem of Evil. God is supposed to be omnibenevolent (all good), yet evil exists. I'm going to quote the Greek philosopher Epicurus on this one.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Hi DF Friends:

This is an engaging conversation.  I am a person of faith, indeed, I'm a minister not currently practicing in a church.  I probably have more doubts than faith.  Yet, I find the values and rituals of the faith I practice meaningful.  For example, the service I attended last week focused on reconciliation.  

I wish I could say that faith has helped me with this severe bout of depression I've experienced.  I've prayed.  And prayed for others.  Can't say any healing has come. 

Regarding the wise questions from Epicurus, those are clearly the questions at the heart of the matter. 

There is a point of view that says God withdraws God's power so that humans have free will and that love can work its way. 

Please, please, know 15andepressed and others that I respect your stance and in no way seek to change your worldview..   

In the meantime, I experience god in the relational space between people.

Tim