Sign in to follow this  
Rundmc423

My first step.

This is my first step. I've been depressed my whole life. I used to keep to myself as a teenager even though I had many friends. My Dad was ******** in 2000. Been married 17 years. Last 12 have been hard / sucked. Recently, at 51, I lost my job and I'm unemployed with a wife and 2 kids. I am not insured. Finally want to do something to address my depression. Where do I start? Feel alone but want to finally do something. Thanks.

You have taken a first step by reaching out.  I am pretty new to this myself but from reading the posts on here I would say that your first step would be to visit your doctor.  I know that you don’t have insurance.  But I think that would be the first step.  If that just is not possible maybe look into your states mental help services.  Depressed anonymous or emotions anonymous are also helpful.  Both have websites and may have meetings in your area.  I am new to this too. I thank you for reaching out to this forum.  There is support for you here

I really appreciate the response. Being unemployed, I don't have a doctor nor could afford one right now. Looking for other suggestions and any insight to begin the process of dealing with my depression. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the Forums, Runmc423,

Depression can be so brutal.  Hopefully you will find these Forums to be helpful to you.  They have helped me a lot.  Sometimes there is no substitute for being able to communicate with others who are going through the same or similar struggles. 

I'm sorry you lost your job and do not have health insurance.  That must be  enormously stressful.   I was helped a lot by self-help books written by noted cognitive psychologists.  Don't know if that would be helpful to you or others.  Sometimes what helps one of us doesn't work for others.  I sure hope you find some relief!

- epictetus

Good place to start would probably be The feeling good handbook. This book deals with cognitive behavioral therapy.  It also has a lot of other information. There is also one called the happiness trap.  This deals with Acceptance and commitment therapy.  I have only read the illustrated version.  Both helped somewhat.  I have found a lot of help in any of the books by Dr. Claire Weekes.  Short and sweet. Most of these center around anxiety but do talk about depression as well.  Anyway I hope this helps.   

HI @Rundmc423 and welcome to the forums. The medical group I used to have offered a financial aid program or a self pay option. Many of my visits costed me nothing. Self pay option was under $70.   And the mental health center is based on income. Check with your provider and for resources in your area.

Keep visiting here. Share when you feel comfortable. I have found a lot of good people who have helped and supported me.

Posted (edited)

Welcome! Another book is called The Depression Cure. It has some good ideas and ways to help with depression. I hope things turn around in a good way for you.

BW

Edited by BeyondWeary

Thanks. I pulled it up.on eBay. Less than 5 bucks. If I get a Father's Day gift card, I order it today. I really want to feel better. Thank you again for the advice. It really helps and I will order that book.