Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I've been on effexor for around 7 years now and I've progressively gone from 75mg to 300mg per day and I'm feeling lately that they are not as effective as they once were. My doctor seems to be clueless as to what replacement or extra medication I should go on and says I need to see a psychiatrist so she can diagnose me properly and advise the medicine I should use. My doctor wasn't the one to diagnose me originally as I only changed to her about 3 years ago after my own doctor retired. I've never had an official diagnosis as I was just told I had depression and put on effexor. I'm worried about what the psychiatrist will diagnose me with and how it will affect me as I've managed  to become a fairly successful person and a good member of society without the title and I'm worried I'll 'become the diagnosis' and start to fail as a person. Has anybody been through this and have any advise?

And I'm also now starting to use a lot of cocaine at weekends to try make myself feel better and I'm worried its becoming a problem. It's like I'm charging up on artificial happiness at weekends to pass time and also help with the work week ahead. I seem to be much better when I'm busy working during week days but the coke still flashes into my mind at times during the week lately.

Edited by Long_time_efexor_user

Hi Long Time:

I'd encourage you to find a trustworthy psychiatrist.  A diagnosis is important to treatment.  Here on DF at least you will find a no stigma zone.  There is no diagnosis that makes you any less a person.  Plus, it will help match you with the right medicine.  

As far as the coke, I certainly don't want to be parental or judgmental, but I think it is a sign that you are feeling really lousy and that you have turned to it to medicate your self to feel less lousy.  Finding the right med would likely take care of the coke issue before it becomes more of a challenge for you.  

Coke on the weekends eventually leads to coke every day.  It's inevitable.  It's way to addictive to always wait for the weekend and when it starts happening during the week it will tear your life to shreds.  It seemed fun for a while but eventually you get to the point where you're awake high on it for a week.

On 5/25/2019 at 5:34 PM, Long_time_efexor_user said:

I'm worried I'll 'become the diagnosis' and start to fail as a person. Has anybody been through this and have any advise?

You're not your illness. By now you're familiar with it's symptoms so as to know that it exists. A diagnostic label is more useful to the psychiatrist and counselor than to you, they're responsible for determining treatment and its necessary to know what they're treating.

Always be mindful that there is an important distinction between the person who is you and the collection of symptoms that is depression. From what you wrote you are a person living with depression. This illness is now threatening the life you built because the treatment is no longer effective - and that's a very common problem, it's not peculiar to you.