Sign in to follow this  
MargotMontage

Long-Term Antihistamine Use: Concerns and Side-Effects

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anybody had any advice?

I've had to use Promethazine long-term for a number of reasons. I do have allergies and night itching just as-is, but over the years, issues from medications and chronic pain have built up to the fact that it's one of the few 'safe' things to use for sleeplessness. I don't like it, because at least twice a week I have to take 50-75 mg and I worry about neurological damage. Lately, I've been showing symptoms of neurological issues but I don't think it's the Promethazine. It's more likely to be related to the fact that an incompetent psych once prescribed a huge dose of Seroquel and said it was safe, and I was on it for a while. I've had tremors, weakness and issues with walking and memory, but the biggest concern is my eyesight. It's like I've got a veil over my eyes and I struggle to look at bright light. My eyes are still fully functional; I saw an optomitrist and he says I have good vision but am a bit near-sighted, whcih is fair, at my age. It's just that it impedes my ability to enjoy the outside world or feel comfortable in big environments with lots of artificial lighting. It's sapping what was left of the point of living away, as if I can't appreciate the natural world, I don't know what I'd do. I also like reading and movies and gaming, so I'd be even more depressed without my sight. (Again, it's not a physical issue per-se, so while I;m sure I'll still be driving and navigating and all that, my ability to enjoy things won't be as good.)

So while there's a smallish risk it's the Promethazine, but there's no other solution. After my antipsychotic experiences, I won't use them again. I have Avanza at night, but because I'm also on Effexor, which has an insomnia-inducing effect, and I have chronic pain, I don't see other options. I recently told the doctor to drop my anti-anxiety meds because I feel it would be unhealthy to keep taking something that highly addictive, and would prefer it to be an emergency-only thing. i could take painkillers, but most of those, while appropriate for my condition, make my stomach feel terrible and do bad things to my liver, so I will only take fairly light ones (in the context of the actual pain condition, which gets worse the older I get.)

So, any thoughts would be great! I know Promethazine isn't the greatest medication around, but it's relatively gentle and it doesn't interact with anything or put me at risk of seratonin syndrome, and it helps with the allergies and itching so much! If you guys have any pros or cons to tell me, or suggestions for a better way to deal with insomnia and pain, I'd really appreciate it!

MargotMontage:

Figuring out what medicine to take isn't easy.  As you know and note they almost all have pros and cons.  This is particularly true for the medicines that affect our brains.  

From what you write it sounds to me that Promethazine is a kind of healthy, reasonable compromise.  Particularly since it helps.  

15 hours ago, Tim 52 said:

MargotMontage:

Figuring out what medicine to take isn't easy.  As you know and note they almost all have pros and cons.  This is particularly true for the medicines that affect our brains.  

From what you write it sounds to me that Promethazine is a kind of healthy, reasonable compromise.  Particularly since it helps.  

Thanks Tim 52! It's good to know what you think, even though you may not be an expert or anything. Community thoughts tend to help me at times like this, (having found this community and all), so I appreciate you taking the time to answer.